Prospector info to show chunk borders?

Arcanus

Posed as a question for discussion. Whilst I like the new update, I was using the excellent ProspectorInfo mod by P3t3rix which showed the chunk borders and thus that greatly helps with planning your next dig.

I'm not sure if the mod will be updated but I have lost all my prospecting info with the game update but that was to be expected but it would be nice to see what it did as a standard feature in the game (perhaps with an option to toggle chunk borders on/off for those that don't want it)

Do the chunk borders matter? I had about convinced myself they do not, getting different results on what had to be the same chunk. That it was just something that I had assumed or a consequence of using the prospector mod which displayed by chunk.

Might have to try turning on wireframes and see.

11 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Do the chunk borders matter? I had about convinced myself they do not

It's complicated.

Prospecting results do not care about the chunk grid, because they interpolate over nearby pixels on the ore map. The ore map itself, however, has a resolution of 1 pixel = 32x32 blocks, or in other words, 1 pixel = 1 chunk. Ore also rolls for permission to spawn on a per-chunk basis.

Perhaps OP wants to make sure that they don't dig on a chunk border, believing that if ore spawns in chunk A but not in chunk B, they would be encountering a lower local ore density there? That is technically a valid concern...

...although one that doesn't really play out that way in practical application except maybe for gold and silver, which do produce single-pixel spawn regions on the ore map. All other ores generate larger areas with smooth gradients, so you'll never have a chunk with a high spawn chance bordering a chunk with a low to nonexistant one. It'll be more like high bordering slightly less high. Also, picking a chunk to dig in requires identifying the chunk with the highest ore map value first, which given the interpolating nature of density search is more complicated and time-consuming than just finding the highest single reading. And finally, with ores like iron and halite that try to spawn just once or even less than once per chunk, finding the perfect chunk doesn't matter much because the ore may not even have tried to spawn there and you'll have to search the wider area anyway.

Personally, I've never paid attention to this, and have been successful in my mining expeditions anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Perhaps OP wants to make sure that they don't dig on a chunk border, believing that if ore spawns in chunk A but not in chunk B, they would be encountering a lower local ore density there? That is technically a valid concern...

I'd forgotten there is an ore map. As regards digging on a chunk border, I hadn't considered that tbh. My thinking was simply by mining out the visible ore in a particular chunk (once found) I would  move to the center of the next viable chunk and start prospecting from there, rather than being,say, in the corner of the chunk and trying to locate the ore in the opposite area of the chunk. I saw it as being more efficient in locating ores in any particular chunk.

@streetwind - a related question: Is the heat map for ores dependent on the seed or does that also get randomized when the world is first generated?  I have a 1.17 seed that had an amazing concentration of all metals for bronze within about 500 or 1,000 blocks of spawn and would like to retain that for a 1.19 world.

Edited by Maelstrom

I have not personally tested this. But I have heard it claimed that the ore map is seed dependant - but the individual deposits aren't. As in, you would find the same Ultra High reading in the same spot, but the deposits generated there would be randomly different.

Why don't you test your seed and report back your findings? :)

Edited by Streetwind

I intend on doing so.  That seed was a beaut!  Multiple chunks reading UH for copper, sphalerite, bizmuthinite AND cassiterite!  Nothing within 1,000 blocks was better than decent for iron (which didn't have a deposit) but given the massive richness of bronze, getting to iron wouldn't have been a big concern. 

Now I just need my son to get me that seed since I ran that world on his computer.

Edited by Maelstrom

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.