What is happening here? Am i just stupid?

Hacinson
Go to solution Solved by Streetwind,

• Solution

Not every area with ore goes up to the highest readings. This has a number of reasons.

For example, the prospecting pick interpolates over an area around where you prospect. If some chunks in that area have a high probability of spawning ore and others have a low one, you'll get something in the middle. Another thing the pick takes into account is the makeup of the local rock layers. Cassiterite can only spawn in igneous rock, so if two out of the three local layers are not igneous, you're getting lower results because the ore can't spawn everywhere even in a chunk with good chances.

Edited by Streetwind

18 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Not every area with ore goes up to the highest readings. This has a number of reasons.

For example, the prospecting pick interpolates over an area around where you prospect. If some chunks in that area have a high probability of spawning ore and others have a low one, you'll get something in the middle. Another thing the pick takes into account is the makeup of the local rock layers. Cassiterite can only spawn in igneous rock, so if two out of the three local layers are not igneous, you're getting lower results because the ore can't spawn everywhere even in a chunk with good chances.

oh ok, it makes sense

Btw i decided to give it a try and i mined down in the "high" reading area (but i was told that it is a stupid idea and one should only mine in the "ultra high" area) and lo and behold i found casserite - not alot since it was low quality but still i finally can progress to bronze age.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:23 AM, Hacinson said:

Btw i decided to give it a try and i mined down in the "high" reading area (but i was told that it is a stupid idea and one should only mine in the "ultra high" area) 

That really only applies to iron since all the other ores have much higher spawn chances.  Having said that, I have found iron on a decent reading.

30 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Heck, if the best I find is "Decent" I'll dig an exploratory hole or two. Like you say, you need so little to bronze, and it costs very little in terms of pick durability and ladders.

Ultra-high readings for the bronze metals will likely result in being set for the rest of the game.  Drop a shaft and you're likely to run into a vein even if it was just 10 blocks from the previous shaft.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.