Best Practices: Mining with Cave-Ins On

LastChime

Just curious what others do, this mechanic is new to me and when I search for stability on wiki....well we're talking bout something else.

Since I've started playing with collapse and soil instablity I'm fairly gun-shy as I don't want all my stuff at the bottom of a hell-pit where it takes me like 3 days to excavate to in case I screw up.

When A block says 50% instablity I assume it's even odds on dropping on my head or staying put, then that calc happens for the next one in like a sort of connect 4 thing. 16% tho, I'm figuring by that it's ~84% chance of collapse on....update? Which is when, when I touch a block next to it, when the chunk loads, after X hidden time?

As a result early on for copper I'm doing open pits with packed dirt to shore up at the top to keep gravel out and I think to help hold things up a bit.

When I get supports I've been putting them on every ceiling tile in one direction, I'm not sure if that's overkill or not. Mostly just looking for input and advice cause it's hard to unscrew up collapses and the wiki is fairly scant so far.

Edited by LastChime
Corrected speed math

I'm looking into options other support beams (in the event of mining before saws) and found rock walls do not prevent cave ins.  I'm willing to bet cobble slabs and blocks will work, but have not tested this yet.

For mining surface deposits, I dig a one block hole down and drop a ladder to keep sand, gravel and soil from dropping on my head.  I really, REALLY despise surface ore spawning in the first rock layer as it means a strip mine scar to secure said mineralogical necessities.  I don't care about the scar on the landscape as much as the durability cost to insure compliance with OSHA regulations (mostly keeping dirt from dropping on my head).

As for items?  They don't get buried.  They will "float" up to the next available airspace, aka empty air block, in the event of a landslide or cave collapse.

• Like 1

Yeah the rock just sort of cracks at a certain point, not sure where that line is exactly but it must be related to the "stability" tooltip on the block?

What I've found so far for low cost support is if you shore up with a manufactured dirt block (like packed dirt), they restore the rocks stability too, I don't think stability works on manufactured blocks but I haven't tried all of them but dirt is cheap to mess with, thinking of going to cob cause it's even cheaper and if I have to crater the neighborhood might as well have a pit full of bunnies and chickens in various states of death.

I'm actually thinking you might be able to sort of "skyhook" the roof using manufactured blocks, like do a line or ring up top with 100% stability then carve a bit of a pit, go horizontally but dig it 1 deeper than normal the run the cob down the wall of the pit and use the cob to hold the tunnel up....to itself?

If this works, manufactured supports would be better than actual supports for supporting because they don't create weird 8/9 empty blocks where you can't put torches or shelves.

I'm also wondering (because I haven't manufactured a chisel yet) if converting a stone block to a chiseallable block will change it's likelihood of falling.  Cracked rocks are no more unstable than uncracked rocks.  I've seen both at an instability of 100% fail to fall and believe a block update of a neighboring block causes a check for collapsing rooves.

Two spaces is not a deal breaker. Shoring would be 1 space anyway, so it's just 1 more, and shoring obscures visibility. Might be worth it. Just a single *tink* is enough?

I've been doing vertical cobblestone slabs, and while they allow access to some of the surrounding blocks, not all, and they are a pain to set on edge when I'm in a hurry. And it ends  up with 2 spaces anyway -- slabs and clay.

Yeah I tried a bump or 2 chiselling, it seems like it just makes the block keep it's stability static from when it was chiseled, I'm not sure how this effects adjacent block as I only messed with it a little bit cause by the time I had a hammer and chisel I had a saw...so I'm just using conventional supports now and they're still....interesting.

Sometimes just crossing a tile with one will fix instabillity, other times you basically have to build a tank trap out of the face and still can only get it to 16.77% instability. I have had some luck connecting them up from the bottom to make like conventional mine arches with cross braces, but again idk if it's overkill or not.

I've also discovered that digging UP is basically suicide so if you think you detect ore above, go back to your drop shaft and guess the highest point then excavate from the top down, because you already were working below you'll probably just get some favorable if terrifying cave-ins.

I've been getting a lot of relieved cracked rock blocks as a result, trying to figure if I just smash em for rocks or make a neat feature wall out of them cause they can't be polished or made into ashlars anymore, might be pretty behind a waterfall or something...

I've found that a single tap to convert the block to a chiselable block removes instability completely.  I'll go back and check because when I tested this I only had reed handbaskets and the inventory space was critical.  Since then I've jumped directly to leather backpacks since I didn't find enough flax fiber to make even a single linen sack before my inner carnivore emerged for protein nutrition.  Blackguard is FUN!

• 4 weeks later...

I find that standing way back helps. Start carving downwards in the area in front of you where you want to carve the rock. Then you can go to higher levels. When cave in occurs the rocks fall in the hollow you carved instead of falling on you. You can clear out the hollow and continue if you want to dig up.  I'm not sure how to effectively use the "support beams" yet.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

@LastChime, that looks insane. What mods are you using?

The terrain? Not much I can think of, Plains and Valleys and maybe Rivers messes with it, 328k blocks, 100k poles, world height 384ish, bout 50% Landcover and 200% Landform Scale.

If it's something else I play with Simple Hud Clock, Expanded Food/ACA, Primitive Suvival, and Herbarium / Wildcraft Modules and Geology Additions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.