Would be cool if you could clang rocks together to make fires. You could hold one rock in the main hand and another in the off hand and hold shift click to clang and light stuff up. It wouldn't be useful in regular worlds but could open up the possibility for bigger challenges such as taking on treeless or almost treeless worlds, but more than that though, i want that Ooga Booga part of my brain to go off whenever I first start out.

• Like 1

This video   https://youtu.be/4IpjRyTMvbI?si=6qr5GV1cKZXwoYtf  shows that you don't need steel but can substitute it with a rock that is high in pyrite. From googling rocks that at least can contain pyrite, the ones we have in the game is limestone, sandstone, and shale.

Edit: said flint instead of steel 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Coding Berry
Said flint instead of steel

Just gotta ask why?  I mean the fire starter is one grass and two sticks for crying out loud.  Worst case scenario: knap a knife, find grass and a branchy leaf block.  All that usually done in 5 minutes or less.  So what's the benefit of adding additional code to the game?

• Like 1

Like the idea, but, as @Maelstrom points out, it's competing with basically free. Use once and throw away. So your flint in each hand would be good, so long as it doesn't interfere with other shift-rt-click operations. Then again, what it's competing with is only 2 sticks and 1 grass...

• Like 1

Additionally, banging flint with something else generates a bit of hot material.  That hot material needs to ignite something small due to an exceedingly small amount of thermal energy.  So the firepit needs to have tinder (dried grass at this time) to ignite before peat or logs could being to burn.  Realistically it would be a case of put grass into fire pit, ignite grass, add sticks, finally add log/peat/coal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Just gotta ask why?  I mean the fire starter is one grass and two sticks for crying out loud.  Worst case scenario: knap a knife, find grass and a branchy leaf block.  All that usually done in 5 minutes or less.  So what's the benefit of adding additional code to the game?

I have the reason in the main post. 1) cool ooga booga noise of clanging rocks,  and 2) allows for more fun in treeless and near treeless worlds. To add on, I know it's not really useful which is why I have slice of life as a tag.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Realistically it would be a case of put grass into fire pit, ignite grass, add sticks, finally add log/peat/coal.

Hadn't thought about that but do agree. To do it may just overcomplicate fire pit code for something too small.

5 minutes ago, Coding Berry said:

I have the reason in the main post. 1) cool ooga booga noise of clanging rocks,  and 2) allows for more fun in treeless and near treeless worlds. To add on, I know it's not really useful which is why I have slice of life as a tag.

Being facetious/silly a bit:  for the cool ooga-booga clanging rock sounds... uh...  knap a tool head?  😇

Already done that with a torch, what got me wanting this is mostly because of The Croods to be honest. Wanna get that "me make fire!" Feeling that Grug gets at the end of the movie.

Edit: down changed to done

Edited by Coding Berry

By the time I have reached the level to build a distillery (but why bother, apart from role playing?) I've pretty much burned off everything I care to. But it would be cool to have some way to make low-tech Molotovs. Craft with one flax thread, one beeswax, and either a fired jug of blue clay or a fired/unfired fire clay jug? Doesn't quite make sense, but needs to be no higher than that tech level or what's the point? Sets a 9 block area (3x3) around the point of impact afire. Including drifters.

Ooh, and a reason to build distilleries? One word. Flamethrowers.

• Like 1
  • Amazing! 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.