Late Copper Age Mining

Cherriberri

I'm a new player, playing for the first time, and I for some reason could never find almost any surface copper spots.
I walked in grid patterns picking up rocks to mark where I'd been and make sure I didn't mistake copper for just a rock as I actually had with the first deposit, which was right near where I settled at first.

I spent a very long time doing this and I only found two deposits. I ended up panning for enough copper to get a hammer and a pick to dig under those two, but now I realize... I still need to find more and seem to be doing something wrong.

Hello, I am also new to the game and the truth the best way I found to get copper was to go to an area with caves and use the prospecting pick. and when I got an area with high copper I entered.
I usually find from one to 2 large deposits (if I got out alive).

To find surface copper all you can really do is run all over creation looking for those little copper bits (or as noted, pan sand and/or gravel).  Some tricks to make finding surface bits easier to find:

1. Run around sand and gravel areas - sparse grass makes seeing surface nuggets easier to spot from longer distances
2. Pillar up (like a ladder) about 20-30 blocks.  Higher perspective makes it easier to see surface nuggets.

Be sure to mark the block of the nuggets was picked up from.  Surface copper deposits will form directly below the nugget but could be up to 10 blocks below the nugget.  I've had some cases where I've had to dig through 6 or 7 blocks of rock before finding the copper.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

To find surface copper all you can really do is run all over creation looking for those little copper bits (or as noted, pan sand and/or gravel).  Some tricks to make finding surface bits easier to find:

1. Run around sand and gravel areas - sparse grass makes seeing surface nuggets easier to spot from longer distances
2. Pillar up (like a ladder) about 20-30 blocks.  Higher perspective makes it easier to see surface nuggets.

Be sure to mark the block of the nuggets was picked up from.  Surface copper deposits will form directly below the nugget but could be up to 10 blocks below the nugget.  I've had some cases where I've had to dig through 6 or 7 blocks of rock before finding the copper.

Pretty much this. The only thing I would add is that I've noticed that surface copper deposits tend to spawn in a rough 50 block radius from one another(I say very roughly, given I've not measured the actual distance). So if you've found one deposit and marked it, it's often worth looking around the nearby area to see if there's another.

The prospecting pick and cave method is also good, although it involves a lot of digging typically, and is very risky early in the game. If you're up to the challenge though, it's a highly effective method. What I generally do is run around marking the surface deposits and picking up the little pieces on the ground, and then panning the last little bit I need to get a pickaxe and hammer. Once I have those it's just a matter of going back to dig up the surface deposits, crafting a prospecting pick, and finding my way to ingredients for bronze.

• Like 1

advice i would give is not to look for copper , you will find spots of it when you do other things , like finding ruins , exploring overworld and traveling between biomes , its something you will "find" as you travel to diffrent places and walk across paths you not been to

this is how it is , just explore and mark any "surface bits" on map , pick them up , and come back later when you gathered enough to make pick to dig into dirt and mine out "few bits who are in rocks"

generally also biomes without grass (gravel/sand/Vulcanic/mountain) biomes they are much easier to notice if you really want to look for them its best to start there if one is nearby

i usually wait till i have 200 coper units (40 bits) to make both pick and prospecting pick

biggest tip is to mark everything on map , found clay? mark , copper? mark , quartz? mark , coal? mark , cave? mark , fruit trees? mark , etc etc

Edited by Varenvel

If you don't find at least 20 copper (enough for the pick) in the first few days setting up your fields and and clayforming and getting charcoal started (or finding enough loose brown coal), I'd pan so I can explore carrying the pick,and dig up every spot right away and not worry about needing to find it again.

I've even started making the prospecting pick second instead of the hammer. Knowing whether a spot is a good candidate to look around, or if it was just a one-off from a trace percentage is really helpful. With that information, I'm much more likely to have stumbled on enough to make a hammer right away.

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.