The issue of temporal stability

DarkSunPON3

I've just purchased the game, me and my best friend are playing it but the entirety of the overworld we've explored is Temporally unstable. There's a lack of explanation and I'm not mad but with the lack of much information, how to figure out temporal stability in a region. I mean hell, even the merchant areas are giving me the negatives. I have found a single 6x6 area that has a positive and not a negative. What the actual hell?? How am I supposed to bring it back up if 99% of everything's chuffed?

1 minute ago, DarkSunPON3 said:

I've just purchased the game, me and my best friend are playing it but the entirety of the overworld we've explored is Temporally unstable. There's a lack of explanation and I'm not mad but with the lack of much information, how to figure out temporal stability in a region. I mean hell, even the merchant areas are giving me the negatives. I have found a single 6x6 area that has a positive and not a negative. What the actual hell?? How am I supposed to bring it back up if 99% of everything's chuffed?

And don't give me the BS of that's how the game is. That's bad game design if that's how it's supposed to be.

How much have you explored? Good places are reasonably common, though maybe not where you think, "Hey, this is the perfect spot! Oh, shoot!"

I usually forget to notice how temporal stability is. I don't spend enough time at home to make any difference.

Temporally unstable areas can be quite large.  In my current world I have a copper mine in the middle of huge area that is about 250 block radius and the min is just about dead center.  By the time I've mined one deposit I'm almost down to 25% stability, climb the ladder and run to a stable area.

I've seen that unstable areas are usually about 200 - 250 block diameter.  As @Thorfinn asked - how much of the world have you explored?  If it's more than a 500 block radius, are your sure the entirety of it is unstable?  Meaning you may have checked for stability in an unstable area, run through a stable area (without checking stability) and run into a second  unstable area when you checked stability again.

I don't know how big unstable areas tend to be, but I've had a couple worlds that had quite a lot of instability. I've also had worlds that were the opposite. Generally, the distribution of stable, unstable, and neutral chunks seems to be fairly even. I would say keep exploring your world, as both @Thorfinn and @Maelstrom have suggested; there's sure to be a stable region somewhere within a decent traveling distance. If the distribution isn't to your liking though, I would recommend starting a new world to see if the stability distribution is better.

Another option you might consider is something like the XSkills mod. It has a talent tree for temporal stability that lets you slow down the rate of stability loss or speed up the rate of stability recovery.

On 7/2/2024 at 2:32 PM, DarkSunPON3 said:

There's a lack of explanation and I'm not mad but with the lack of much information, how to figure out temporal stability in a region.

Just to make sure all the bases are covered though--if the gear is spinning counterclockwise(to the left) that means the region is unstable. If the gear is spinning clockwise(to the right), then the region is stable and generally an ideal spot to consider building a base in. If the gear isn't moving at all, the region is neutral.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.