Helmet Overlays

LadyWYT

It's just a little thing that crossed my mind, but an overlay for the first-person field of vision when wearing a helmet would not only be cool, but give more purpose to choice of headgear. As it stands now, the "choice" is mostly aesthetic, as there's not really a reason to wear something other than the most protective available. And while wearing the most protective option(plate helmet) is generally the most desirable choice, one of the main issues with plate helmets is that they heavily obscure one's field of vision. Other helmet options(such as chain and scale) would also obscure vision, but not nearly to the same extent, thus giving the player a reason to pick a different helmet style other than pure looks.

Depending on how ambitious one wants to get, I suppose there's also the option to make the visor on a plate helm adjustable via hotkey. Which almost defeats the purpose of what I just said, really. 🤣 However, I think you could probably balance it somewhat by keeping part of the field of vision obscured even with the visor up(perhaps the very upper portion and bits of the sides). Also possibly by disabling the player's ability to eat/drink while the visor is down. That way the plate helmets are still better protection overall(as they are in reality), but can be a bit more of a hassle to operate in than more open-faced designs(which is also true of reality).

• Like 4

Huh. Hadn't even occurred to me to see whether helm and greaves incurred the penalties. If I'm grokking this, I could equip steel greaves and helmet, and retain the minimal disadvantages of gambeson, while getting additional benefits if the attacks were against head or legs?

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

Huh. Hadn't even occurred to me to see whether helm and greaves incurred the penalties. If I'm grokking this, I could equip steel greaves and helmet, and retain the minimal disadvantages of gambeson, while getting additional benefits if the attacks were against head or legs?

Pretty much! The head and leg armor pieces will still incur penalties the heavier it is, but not nearly as much as the chestpiece. I think the helmet is currently the piece that has the least amount of penalty applied, although I could be wrong.

My typical strategy for just running around on the surface tends to be equipping a high tier chestpiece(scale, chain, or brigandine), and then equipping lighter pieces of armor for the legs/head or leaving those slots empty altogether. The end result is somewhat faster movement(although I typically play Blackguard so armor penalties aren't as bad) without sacrificing too much protection, although if you get hit in the unarmored spots the battle can go south very quickly. I also don't recommend venturing into caves like that--that's a really good way to die.

• Thanks 1

Not all plate helmets have visors.  Consider today's combat helmet is the equivalent head protection as a medieval knight's helmet, sans visor.  There were also metal helmets sans visor prior to the visored helmet you are describing.  The only thing the visor does is protect the face, which in hand to hand combat is not likely to happen.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Not all plate helmets have visors.  Consider today's combat helmet is the equivalent head protection as a medieval knight's helmet, sans visor.  There were also metal helmets sans visor prior to the visored helmet you are describing.  The only thing the visor does is protect the face, which in hand to hand combat is not likely to happen.

This is true. However, all of the plate helmets in-game(that I'm aware of) are depicted with visors, which is what I was referring to in my initial post. 😁 That being said, having some helmet styles that aren't locked to specific materials would be awesome!

• Like 1

I quite like this idea, but I would like to see it gated behind an option upon world creation.
I kinda don't want part of my vision obscured when wearing full helmets, even if it is realistic. 😅

The adjustable visor sounds like a cool idea though, maybe this could fix this problem for me!
(Plus, extra interactivity is always a bonus!)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.