Food bug, Food in bowl, raw food

Sparkle Kitti

I've noticed a few things that may be bugs related to food and eating.

• Some times food being stored in a vessel will say it as 4 days left, then the next day it's partially spoiled. 
  • Some times eating food from a bowl, the bowl will go back to inventory with food still in it.
  • There's been a couple times so far when my hunger meter seems to be staying stationary, even while sleeping.

These aren't bugs.

Food spoils at different rates. If it's in your inventory, it may spoil faster or slower than if it's in the game world, depending on the temperature in your area. You can also slow down the spoiling rate by putting it in a clay vessel or in a cellar underground. These mechanics should be explained in the wiki.

When you eat a bowl of food, you only eat as much as you need. If there is more in the bowl than you need, the bowl will stay in your inventory with some of the food still in it. Open your inventory and put your mouse over the food to see how much is left. (0.9, 0.5, 0.1 servings, etc).

If you eat a prepared meal, your hunger bar will stop going down for a little while. It's to reflect the extra nourishment from cooked food. If you eat a really nutritious meal, you won't have to eat again for a while.

10 hours ago, Aira said:

Food spoils at different rates. If it's in your inventory, it may spoil faster or slower than if it's in the game world, depending on the temperature in your area. You can also slow down the spoiling rate by putting it in a clay vessel or in a cellar underground. These mechanics should be explained in the wiki.

I am aware of this infor mation. What I'm talking about here is that, in a clay vessel, it will tell me it has 4 days remaining. I leave it in the vessel. The next day it has a spoiled percentage. It never left the vessel. Also, if it says 4 days in the vessel and I take it out, it shouldn't suddenly be spoiled anyway. 

11 hours ago, Aira said:

When you eat a bowl of food, you only eat as much as you need. If there is more in the bowl than you need, the bowl will stay in your inventory with some of the food still in it. Open your inventory and put your mouse over the food to see how much is left. (0.9, 0.5, 0.1 servings, etc).

If you eat a prepared meal, your hunger bar will stop going down for a little while. It's to reflect the extra nourishment from cooked food. If you eat a really nutritious meal, you won't have to eat again for a while.

I figured these two out last night. Is there somewhere that explains what constitutes a cellar? I can't find more than passing mention on the wiki.

On 3/5/2020 at 5:54 AM, Sparkle Kitti said:

I've noticed a few things that may be bugs related to food and eating.

• Some times food being stored in a vessel will say it as 4 days left, then the next day it's partially spoiled. 
  • Some times eating food from a bowl, the bowl will go back to inventory with food still in it.
  • There's been a couple times so far when my hunger meter seems to be staying stationary, even while sleeping.

I don't know if it's what you are looking for but:

If you stack food items with different stages of going bad (2 different rice harvests for example) it will only show you how long it will take until EVERY single item has gone bad. But the oldest ones will start going bad earlyer than the newest ones.

So someday you might open a container to see that part of a stack has turned into rot. While not beeing able to see when the first item will start going bad, i much prefer this to some game where you can't stack items with different expiration dates.

Hope this was somewhat helpful. The other 2 points are allready sufficently answered by Aira.

• Like 1

Ok, no, it's got to be bugged. I left my base for 3 days and came back to find the crocks in my food vessel that had 10 days were now crocks with rot, and stuff that had 100+ days had also rotted. I tried to space them out into single items and all were rot. So something odd is going on. The only thing I can think of is that I used the time set command to skip the night? Is it possible it skipped multiple days? My torches were all out also and I'm fairly sure I was not away for three full days.

So...damage control. How do I get the rot out of my bowls and crocks?

Out of curiosity, can you eat rot? If so what would happen?

If you're using commands to skip time then it makes sense that things are burning out / rotting faster than you expect. I'm afraid you can't expect things to work normally if you're using commands to change time. Throw the pots/crocks with rotted food in some water and the rot will come out. You can't eat rot, but you can put it in a barrel. Once you have 64, seal the barrel for a while and it'll give you compost, which is a high-quality soil for farming.

Ya using commands for time skipping is a bad idea.   Just go into creative mode (/gamemode 2) and get yourself an 'age wooden bed'.   It'll pass 7.5 hours of night.  (gamemode 1 is back in survival mode).  7.5 hours isn't an entire night, but you can really easily change one number in a game file somewhere to make it pass a full 12 hours or whatever you want - sadly I don't know the exact file.  There may even be a mod for it, I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, redram said:

Ya using commands for time skipping is a bad idea.   Just go into creative mode (/gamemode 2) and get yourself an 'age wooden bed'.   It'll pass 7.5 hours of night.  (gamemode 1 is back in survival mode).  7.5 hours isn't an entire night, but you can really easily change one number in a game file somewhere to make it pass a full 12 hours or whatever you want - sadly I don't know the exact file.  There may even be a mod for it, I'm not sure.

It was an experiment to see if it was useful to not have to stand on a pillar for 20 minutes lol. Guess I'll need to start hunting and farming again lol.  I'd stopped because i had so much food. 

Does sleeping turn off mob spawning till you wake? 

11 minutes ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

Guess I'll need to start hunting and farming again lol.  I'd stopped because i had so much food.

I have around 100 berry bushes with different growth cycles around and in my base, have never died from hunger since then. 👍

Not a very blanced diet but thats something i worry about later 😁

43 minutes ago, Kaelty said:

I have around 100 berry bushes with different growth cycles around and in my base, have never died from hunger since then. 👍

Not a very blanced diet but thats something i worry about later 😁

Lol yeah I've been trying to keep balance.  Not easy with berries plentiful and not very satiating and meat very saturating 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.