Compost bins

Sparkle Kitti

I was reading a very long and very complex discussion about food decay until my eyes glazed. One thing that I was thinking would be nice to have in the game would be a compost bin to put spoiling food into. This could have lots of slots to solve that issue that was brought up in the discussion, or weight based, or maybe once an item is added it changes to a new item that still retains it's spoilage level but can still be in just one stack. As each item changes to rot, the stack of decaying items would decrease and the rot stack would increase. Honestly I have no idea how much of a challenge this would be to code. 

The other feature of the compost bin, or pile now that I think of it, would be to speed the process of decay. Making it a pile rather than a container could add lots of other cool mechanics, items, or mobs I imagine. Think pitchforks and rats maybe.

• Like 2
  • Cookie time 1

Hey Sparkle!

Compost is already an in game feature as Mads Soby has mentioned, just put rot in a barrel, It turns into a rich soil called compost. 

However from what i have gathered it is worse than Terra preta, so it kinda has no purpose as it takes forever to for compost to be made, and decently easy to find Terra.

You guys have slightly missed the point. The suggestion is to add the functionality to just throw spoiled food (or imo even fresh food) into the compost, so it spoils faster. Plus you can put multiple things in at once. Note this is food that has not yet turned to rot. This can help get rid of surplus, and would also boost the rate of compost production, which makes it more functional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Betts said:

You guys have slightly missed the point. The suggestion is to add the functionality to just throw spoiled food (or imo even fresh food) into the compost, so it spoils faster. Plus you can put multiple things in at once. Note this is food that has not yet turned to rot. This can help get rid of surplus, and would also boost the rate of compost production, which makes it more functional. 

I also forgot to mention being able to add non food organic items as well such as flowers, hand baskets and sticks/wood if you get to where you just have way too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

I also forgot to mention being able to add non food organic items as well such as flowers, hand baskets and sticks/wood if you get to where you just have way too much.

As someone who lives in the country i can tell you that composting sticks and wood next to impossible. Even sticks would take years to naturally turn into compost, let alone wood.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This would still be a great addition to the game now that compost is used to improve soil nutrient. Alternatively we could craft a temporal box that accelerates rot by use of the rust world, a nice detail would be to also change all instances of the rust world to rot food in the players inventory fast.

• Like 1

Yeah, seeds, flowers, sappling or reads will be nice addition on thing able to make compost.

And like Entity say, the compost should be used to increase the soil fertility and not just for create a new fertile soil block. Other possible thing will be to have different nutrition value depending of what food or organic thing have been added to that compost (After this will request to have different Rot depending of what type of food it was). I think a full barrel of compost should give a good amount of that compost item (Possibly a stack or something like that), for the amount of time it take to collect all the items and make the compost once sealed.

• 6 months later...

I think this is a solid idea. A specific item / bin for speeding up the rotting process is a cool idea. 

I do not think it needs the depth some of the other players have requested above, with different items giving different nutrient boosts. I rather see other features implemented before something like this, it doesn't add much to the game in my opinion. 

I do think that rot should be a 1:1 conversion for the amount of time it takes to turn into compost. Currently it's a 2:1 to one I think? That would make it a bit more worth it. Or you half the time.

18 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

Also, were we able to use a knife to remove spoilage at some point or am I thinking of a mod?

That was a mechanic in TerraFirmaCraft. I don't know if it was translated over to this game in any form.

Come to think of it, I find it a bit odd that we can't make terra preta, considering it is a type of artificially enriched soil in reality. That could be a good use for compost. It could also require a bit of charcoal, like in real life.

It would also be nice to be able to unseal and/or empty a crock of food. Speaking as someone who accidentally made poison mushroom stew and has had it sitting around waiting for it to rot for months now.

18 hours ago, Gorfinhofin said:

It would also be nice to be able to unseal and/or empty a crock of food. Speaking as someone who accidentally made poison mushroom stew and has had it sitting around waiting for it to rot for months now.

Use bowls to take the food out; it will rot faster in the bowls.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.