all items Disappear from world not inventory

NyaNeko1

1 hour ago, NyaNeko1 said:

5/5 game but i dont want my world to not save what i did cause i dont want to have to start over every time i load my world

The game should auto-save like, every 5 minutes or so.   If you're talking about items despawning while on the ground, yes, they despawn after 10 minutes.

I encountered the same bug today. I started a new world, and when I saved and closed the world, then opened it again to continue playing, every block I had placed in the world had disappeared. Every dirt block, hay block, berry bush, basket, etc. vanished. However, all my character's inventory items were still there. Recreated the world with the same seed and settings, and in this world, everything I had placed vanished after I went several hundred blocks away from spawn and then returned to spawn. Started third world, using the same seed, and this world generated completely different from the first two world,s which was surprising, but this new world has not yet exhibited the "vanishing blocks" bug. I should add that I only play vanilla.

Additional information: I've been playing Vintage Story for over year, and all my old worlds still work fine. The problem began with the first new world that I generated with 1.12.6. this world was randomly generated. I exited the game, after playing for about 1.5 hours, with the leave world button. When I came back to the world, the terrain appeared to have reverted to its original state except that there was no tall grass in the areas I had build in. Nothing I had built was there. I then created a new world using the seed copied from the first world. In this world, I got the bug without exiting the world. Instead, I walked several hundred blocks away from the spawn area, and when I returned, the spawn area had again reverted to its original state, except the tall grass was absent in the areas I had built on. I didn't use the prospecting pick in either world. In both worlds, I customized the world size, increasing from the default 1 million block size to 2 million blocks, but I left world height at the default 256 blocks. Finally, I randomly generated a third world, but did not make any changes to the world size parameters, and that world is fine so far...

Edited by fallwatcher
Additional info
  • Like 1

Well lets gather some clues.

When did it start?

Did you all use a seed or leave the seed part empty?

what settings did you use for your world?

the more info we can gather the earlier the bug can be fixed. The only thing we allready know is that the inventory stays the same.

Also, this is only conjecture but since my world works just fine i guess that only newer worlds are affected. But thats something that can easily disproven if any of you have the problem on a world you are allready playing for some time.🤔

• Cookie time 1

Same thing has happened to me as well.  Bought the game yesterday. Played for several hours and had a base set up and saved/exit for the night to go to sleep. Load the game and all my progress gone except for what is in my inventory. 

No mods

Put in my own world seed

Played roughly 4 hours +/- 10 min

Standard start. Only change was to mining speed and turned on mini map in settings.

Oh, wow, that sounds quite major. More questions for everyone affected:

- How did you exit the game? (Leave world button or the X-Icon on the window dialog?)
- Did you use the prospecting pick?
- Did this happy only in version 1.12.6 or did anyone experience it in v1.12.5 as well?
- Can you elaborate on the everything gone part? Were all the chunks 100% reverted to their original state? Was it just certain chunks? Did it only revert to a very early stage?

I just now ran a test. 

I've been playing for about a week (this time) started on 1.12.5 then 1.12.6. Standard world with no changes and using the VSHUD mod. I was playing while I read this thread. so I saved and quit then relaunched. No issue. Everything I had changed was still there.

Next, I started a new world with the same as above. I made a knife, gathered reeds, made a floor basket, put stuff in it then logged out. Everything was still there when I logged back in.

The only common thread I'm seeing with these cases is that they just started playing. Maybe somethings missing in 1.12.6 that having had 1.12.5 fixes? How funny if it was the crashing bug that made you release 1.12.6 now.

• Thanks 1

I had built a soil house and cleared a huge area of trees and grass, planted some crops and had containers full of stuff. I logged out with the save exit option and let it close like it should. Upon logging on to play today. Everything was reverted back to before I had built my house and cleared the area. The only thing that didn't change is the berry bushes I had planted and my inventory items were still on me. I did not use the prospecting pick, hadn't made it that far yet and I've only been playing long enough to only have version 1.12.6.

I exceed the system requirements and am running on a fresh clean re-install of my system with fully updated drivers for everything. Windows 10 home pro edition, 4.3 ghz AMD ryzen, 16 gb ram 3600 mhz, geforce gtx 1660 ti.

Edited by Javajoe
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tyron said:

Oh, wow, that sounds quite major. More questions for everyone affected:

- How did you exit the game? (Leave world button or the X-Icon on the window dialog?)
- Did you use the prospecting pick?
- Did this happy only in version 1.12.6 or did anyone experience it in v1.12.5 as well?
- Can you elaborate on the everything gone part? Were all the chunks 100% reverted to their original state? Was it just certain chunks? Did it only revert to a very early stage?

so:

1. Exist the world normaly
2. Dont know what this is ^^

3. I use the 1.12.6

4. So all my Stuff are gone AND my planted bushes and a old Ruin where i building my stuff. When im relogging the ruin was gone and there was 2,3 trees instead :o

Mir ist aufgefallen, das sich die Welt bei einem Neustart teilweise auch verändert hat. 

1. Bäume waren plötzlich vorhanden, wo vorher keine waren.

2. Habe zu einem Test einfach mal Sandblöcke im Rechteck aufgestellt. Nach dem Neustart waren Diese plötzlich um 1 Block nach unten versetzt.  Nach einem weiteren Neustart hatte sich wiederum die Umgebung komplett verändert.

I noticed that the world changed in part when I restarted.

1.There were suddenly trees where there were none before.

2. Just put sand blocks in a rectangle for a test. After the restart, these were suddenly moved down by 1 block. After another restart, the environment had changed completely.

Phew! With great relief I can tell you we found the cause of the issue. It only happens in worlds that have been configured to use a map larger than 1mil by 1mil. So please don't make the map larger than that at it will work fine. Those large sizes causes a number overflow, making the game save chunks at invalid coordinates.

I will disable the 2x and 4x mil options in v1.12.7.

• Like 2
  • Cookie time 1

6 hours ago, Tyron said:

Phew! With great relief I can tell you we found the cause of the issue. It only happens in worlds that have been configured to use a map larger than 1mil by 1mil. So please don't make the map larger than that at it will work fine. Those large sizes causes a number overflow, making the game save chunks at invalid coordinates.

I will disable the 2x and 4x mil options in v1.12.7.

Come to think about it, I did change the world to a 4 mil world. Thanks for figuring this out. My new world is full default and I have had 0 problems so far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.