[V1.14.+] Lazy Warlock's Tweaks (steel update)

The_Lazy_Warlock

Lazy Warlock's Tweaks

(AKA lazytweaks)

Hello everyone! Now that I've got a suggestion to-do list I've started making small quality-of-life tweaks to the game using simple asset mods. I mostly play single player, so I don't know if these would ruin tribe dynamics for multiplayer servers where resources and land claiming is important. However I think most will appreciate the small changes I've made here. 

(Also let me know if they can't be used on servers, not sure what needs to be done with asset mods to make use of them server-side)

Okay now for the Mods:

Whittling (IE stick crafting)
Okay, so sticks are a crazy valuable resource in VS but I didn't like how you couldn't craft them from other pieces of wood. No more! Now you can craft sticks from planks and firewood using a knife or saw, however planks and saws are far more efficient at making them:

Recipes (they're all shapeless):

Spoiler

456966383_KnifexFirewood.PNG.e864e006623ff1586c7f35fe07b71331.PNG930072416_SawxFirewood.PNG.33751bc5940de984b29bf21e394fea3c.PNG2096431653_KnifexPlank.PNG.4276215a883a9b81feeb266d7ec5a187.PNG1177430158_SawxPlank.PNG.8935cf186d385082c68834a2708d9b3f.PNG

Stacking Tool Heads
Sometimes you just want the spend your primitive night knapping a bunch of javelins to throw, only to find your inventory is full and you don't have a wicker basket to store anything. Now you can make tool heads to your hearts content! Some items stack less since they would technically be larger than others (like scythe blades), but anything you can knap from a piece of flint can now fit into stacks of 64 (arrowheads can stack up to 128). 

Limestone Gathering
Gathering limestone can suck hardcore if you spawn in an endless sea of peridotite (like I did). I wanted a consistent way to get lime and still remain faithful to the semi-realistic methods of VS, thankfully I found a cool bit of info about limestone here (Limestone Deposits). More or less, in real life limestone is quite common on sea floors and can be found as chunks mixed with muddy silt. So I thought, why not make use of that "muddy gravel" that does nothing. You'll still need a bucket and quern to get the desired end result, but at least you won't have to find another continent to continue your progress.

You can also produce limestone even faster in a barrel, by mixing muddy gravel and water in a 1:1 ratio.

Recipe (Shapeless):

Spoiler

294069317_MuddygravelxBucket.PNG.97f0e7659b0b3536e3576a0a9afa0c6d.PNG

Ash Leaching
Potash is a useful substance in VS for K fertilizing, but it's a rather scarce product. I fixed this by introducing White Potash, also known as Caustic Potash. Following the real life methods of production, it first requires making ash by burning logs, firewood or planks in a firepit. Certain woods, like oak, produce more ash than others. 

Once you have your ash, soaking it in a barrel with a 4:1 ratio of water over 24 hours will produce Lye, which must be evaporated slowly again in a barrel to produce White Potash in a 2:1 ratio. White potash is just as effective as regular Potash, and almost triples the effective fertilization of regular ash (which can also be used as a basic K fertilizer).

(once I or the VS team make a item-to-item recipe in the cooking pot I'll change this method)

Recipes:

Spoiler

399849932_AshProduction.PNG.b731ff413f330449ac81a4b9eb0aaac4.PNG

Cooked Eggs
A simple recipe that allows you to cook eggs on a firepit (which can be done IRL for all the skeptics out there, check this out here). Cooked eggs don't last as long, but at least you can eat them now :P

Recipe:

Spoiler

2017696625_EggCooking.PNG.2e56758178e08e98b43872661d211baf.PNG

Tool Molds and Smithing

Adds in tool molds for knives and spears and reduces the units required for some smaller tools. I calculated this mostly by checking the smithing recipes and counting the voxels. Then I rounded to relatively simple numbers to keep the units from being overly precise and frustrating to mix alloys with. Most are in multiples of 25 units (25, 50, 100, 150). If people REALLY want precise measurements though, I can release a separate mod that counts units down to multiples of 5 or less.

I also added a double knife recipe for smithing and tweaked the shape of the knife since it seemed too boxy.  

More Spears

Most of the higher tier spears are missing from VS, and so they've been added.

Known issues:

• Need to add damage tiers back in, though they still deal more damage.
  • GUI transformations are strangely different with some new syntax in the JSONS, I need to mess with this more to figure it out.

Straw

Straw is a new item addition that I found to be somewhat absent in Vanilla. Straw is obtained by harvesting any grain. It replaces many of the recipes for Dry Grass and reeds, including skeps. You can also use it to make thatch roofing and briquettes with charcoal dust and peat.

Seed Conversion

Any grain can now be converted into a seed. They cannot be converted back however, as seeds do not degrade over time and this would allow you to indefinitely keep grains.

Powdered Materials

Sulfur and charcoal can now be powdered in a millstone, which is essential for making blasting powder and terra preta. The recipe for blasting powder has also been changed to be more realistic, and ultimately more efficient since saltpeter is generally easier to find. 

Compost Changes

Compost is a little strange in Vanilla VS, so I changed it to suit my preferences. You now create a compost item from rot, any dirt and straw. The item cures over time into different stages and improves at each stage. At the final stage (cured), it can be combined with soil to make "composted soil", or it can be used as a fertilizer. Even more significantly, it is an essential component for Terra Preta production, which you can now make with the addition of charcoal powder, bony soil (renamed ancient loam).

You can also now make a "Compound" fertilizer, which combines various things to make a very effective universal fertilizer. 

Pictures:

Spoiler

Compost.PNG.2bd8a4c0000cf98a3b08a0e7cab65239.PNG695610463_CompoundFertilizer.PNG.22000208b3c34c8ba04880ebec19f02d.PNG1215908924_TerraPreta.PNG.1822ab0d3122a1898f00f7f28b81e27b.PNG

Efficient Leather Tanning

Allows you to convert every stage of hide into smaller pieces to make batch processing easier. You can use a knife or shears to process the hides, but shears provide slightly more pieces. Also adds a final "tanned" version of hide rather than having the barrel convert prepared hide into pieces (which doesn't really make sense).

Skep Changes

Real world skeps don't need to be destroyed to harvest the honeycombs, so I just made it so the skep drops when harvested. You can also make skeps from straw as well, as was traditionally done in various parts of the world. 

Miscellaneous Changes:

• You can now make a new firepit with peat bricks.
  • Added a recipe to convert hay beds into wooden beds. 

Next on the List of tweaks:

• smelting down intact tool heads
  • disassembling anvils

Installation (Vintage Story Version: 1.12.+)

Just drop the zip file right into your "mods" folder in Vintage Story! If you can't find it, you can open it up in the vintage story mod manager at the main menu.

For those having issues with steam:

Spoiler

Use Lutris and SC-Controller and use steam Overlay for necessary games. Thanks NarielV for posting this fix.

Known bugs:

• I had to adjust the GUI position of a few tool head so they didn't intersect with the stack number, but this caused some to move out of place on the tool-tip window. 
  • Log tooltips and the firepit recipe don't match up with the quantity of ash produced. The tooltip is the accurate amount!

Incompatibilities

• Potentially incompatible with anything that alters Vanilla spears or toolheads, let me know if this comes up and I'll see what I can do.

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • V1.3.0
    • Mod Release
    • Whittling
    • Tool Head Stacking
    • Limestone gathering
  • v1.8.0
    • Added iron spears
    • Added cooked eggs
    • Added Ash Leaching and potash production
    • Added Extra tool molds (knife and spear)
    • Added double knife smithing recipes
    • Added limestone production with a barrel
    • Adjusted Some tool mold quantities
  • v1.8.1
    • Fixed some lang issues
    • Made a workaround for producing white potash due to recipe limitations
    • Fixed crashes with textures not showing up
  • v1.9.1
    • Fixed the cooked egg bug.
    • Slightly tweaked lye recipes to be more efficient.
    • Buffed ash fertilization and nerfed white potash to keep mined potash the best.
  • v3.0.0
    • Updated to Vintage Story Version 1.13.+
    • Added Compost tweaks, including terra preta production and compost curing.
      • Renamed "bony soil" to "ancient loam", along with description to fit recipe. 
    • Added universal fertilizer, made from a combination of items.
    • Added grain to seed conversions.
    • Added leather tanning tweaks, including variant pieces and bonuses for using shears.
      • Can shear any stage into smaller pieces to make it easier to do batches.
    • Added straw and straw based recipes, including skeps.
    • Changed skeps to drop themselves when broken instead of components.
    • Added powdered charcoal and sulfur, and changed gunpowder recipe to be more realistic. 
    • Added hay bed to wooden bed conversion recipe.
    • Made it so you can make a firepit with peat bricks
  • v3.1.0
    • Updated to Vintage Story Version 1.14.+
    • Added Meteoric Iron and Steel Spears and changed smithing recipe for iron based spears.
    • Fixed iron spears not having durability.
    • Fixed a leather recipe with the knife, which couldn't process small hides.
    • Added briquettes made from straw.

Licence & Support:

Spoiler

Current license for lazytweaks is CC0. Tyron's team did all the heavy lifting to make this mod even possible, as far as I'm concerned they and the public own whatever I make for this fantastic game :)

I made the textures for the ash, lye, potash and cooked egg but anyone is free to use them for other projects if they wish. 

However, besides making mods for VS I also develop my own game: Lords of Nysera. If you like Fire Emblem, Dungeons and Dragons or any other tactical RPG feel free to check out my game here:

Current Version:

Lazytweaks V3.1.0 (Google Drive Link)

Older Versions:

(VS 1.13+) - Lazytweaks V3.0.0 (Google Drive Link)

lazytweaks v1.3.0.zip

lazytweaks v1.8.1.zip

lazytweaks v1.9.1.zip

Iron Spear Smithing.PNG

Edited by The_Lazy_Warlock
Updated for VS version 1.14+ (Steel Update)
  • Like 7
  • Amazing! 3
  • Mind=blown 1
  • Thanks 2

The posted 1.3.0 zip reports itself as 1.0.0 in-game.  This is harmless, but next time you release it'd be nice to fix!

See modinfo.json:

{
  "type": "content",
  "modid": "lazytweaks",
  "name": "Lazy Warlock's Tweaks",
  "author": "The_Lazy_Warlock",
  "description": "Adds some quality of life changes to Vanilla Vintage Story",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "dependency": {
    "game": "1.8"
  }
}

7 hours ago, Chime said:

The posted 1.3.0 zip reports itself as 1.0.0 in-game.  This is harmless, but next time you release it'd be nice to fix!

See modinfo.json:

{
  "type": "content",
  "modid": "lazytweaks",
  "name": "Lazy Warlock's Tweaks",
  "author": "The_Lazy_Warlock",
  "description": "Adds some quality of life changes to Vanilla Vintage Story",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "dependency": {
    "game": "1.8"
  }
}

Ah thanks! I'll make sure to fix it :)

Hello everyone! New update to Lazytweaks. There's a lot more stuff this time so there might be little issues here and there that I missed while testing it out. Let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I can. Here's the list of additions

v1.8.0

• Added iron spears
  • Added cooked eggs
  • Added Ash Leaching and potash production
  • Added Extra tool molds (knife and spear)
  • Added double knife smithing recipes
  • Added limestone production with a barrel
  • Adjusted Some tool mold quantities

The latest version should be compatible with almost anything, but it might conflict with a mod that also adds Iron spears (It shouldn't though...). Let me know if any funny business comes up. 

You can download the new version here or on the main page:

lazytweaks v1.8.0.zip

• Thanks 1

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to implement the lye cooking in a pot? It would feel more immersive than just effectively pouring the stuff into the fire. Of course, pots already have the meal code attached to them, so I don't know if you can even give them a recipe that doesn't follow the meal format...

If it's possible, the output item could be a pot you can place and rightclick with an empty hand to take the white potash from, whole stack at once.

I've asked Tyron about that and at the moment it's not possible to have item recipes in the cooking pot just using JSONS. 

But I agree that it's a bit janky to have the lye cooked that way. I might play around with some of the other item codes and see if I can make a more realistic method. Though it might come down to me having to either mod the cooking pot or make a different cooking item altogether, maybe a cauldron or something that needs to be made from iron. 

• Like 1

Bugfix time! Thanks for testing out the new version everybody, I learned about some limitations with the current JSONs and had to make a workaround for the potash production. Here's the fixes and changes:

• Fixed a few lang issues with lye portions not being named correctly in the barrel.
  • Fixed the texture crash with lye in a barrel.
  • Fixed a crash when the player tries to pour out the contents of a bucket filled with lye.
  • Changed Potash production by slowly evaporating liquid lye in a barrel

Also there's a strange issue with the wood log tooltip and firepit recipe not showing the same values produced. The tooltip is the accurate amount of ash produced.

Thanks everyone! let me know if any other problems crop up. 

lazytweaks v1.8.1.zip

On 4/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, The_Lazy_Warlock said:

...maybe a cauldron or something that needs to be made from iron. 

Not sure that's the best way to go. Iron is (currently) endgame content, and generally takes people far longer to reach than obtaining high-output farmland. I've only just found my first cassiterite after 20 hours in my singleplayer world, and I have four 12-block terra preta farmland plots by now. As the purpose of fertilizer is primarily to help with lower-grade farmland, that means it should be available relatively early, not gated into the iron age.

Primitive Technology also regularly works with wood ash using clay pots and stone age tools, zero metal of any kind, so there's no practical limitation here. In my personal opinion, there's enough other crafting mechanics that clay pots could do (like rendering fat into tallow) that it would be well worth Tyron's time to make the pots more flexible under the hood. I guess we can only cross our fingers and hope :) 

Gameplay-wise, I would much rather be able to work with an inferior fertilizer relatively early, than wait a long time to get something that is as good as something else that is also difficult and time-intensive to obtain. Why have both items fill the same niche? Vintage Story's mineral potash is a limited-access, technically nonrenewable resource. It should be the clear king of K fertilizers. Your white potash is an easily-accessed, infinitely renewable resource; it should be clearly inferior, even if real life perhaps disagrees. We're playing a game here, after all.

So I'd rather see something like wood ash being 10% and white potash being 30% where mineral potash is 60%, than white potash being too similar to mineral potash for comfort and then gated behind some lategame mechanic or resource in order to keep it balanced.

A low-grade fertilizer can still be quite effective. Consider flax, which requires K nutrient. Everyone will agree that it's a key resource. String and cloth do so many important things, and there are no real alternatives. So flax it is. The stone age player will likely plant it on medium farmland, as that can be reliably obtained where terra preta takes time and luck to collect in any useful quantities. And when you do plant flax on medium farmland, you'll find that the first seven or eight out of nine stages grow reasonably well, while the last one or two stages stall for days and days on end because the K nutrient concentration fell too low. It would just take a small bit extra to make it all the way.

Even a low-performance K fertilizer will have a tangible impact on flax farming, especially if it is renewable and easily accessed. So it doesn't actually need to be competitive with mineral potash as a high-end solution in order to have its niche.

Edited by Streetwind

I'm trying out the mod and enjoying it so far.  I appreciate spear and knife casting, as I don't want to be knapping once I've reached a metal age.

Primitive Technology also regularly works with wood ash using clay pots and stone age tools, zero metal of any kind, so there's no practical limitation here

I noticed that IRL the organic farm near where I live make a pit or rick of all their wheat chaff and slowly burn it (like charcoal burning) to create ash for fertiliser.  It takes many weeks to complete the burn.  So it's modern technology too, not only the primitives! 

Next on the List of tweaks:

• Gathering hay from grain harvesting

IRL grain harvesting creates straw, not hay.  Not the same thing.  Straw is inedible but is used for:

• animal bedding
  • simple human bedding (the vanilla Hay Mattress should probably be straw)
  • Skeps for catching bee swarms
  • primitive bricks
  • Wattle and daub, a primitive form of plaster - often found in ceilings in pre-20th century buildings

Hay is dried sweet grass used as an animal food item, as a winter food supplement for any grass-eater or the staple diet for any herbivore kept in a stable or hutch.  I'm not sure if it has any other significant uses IRL.  The existing Dried Grass item in VS is hay.

Edited by radfast

On 4/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, Streetwind said:

So I'd rather see something like wood ash being 10% and white potash being 30% where mineral potash is 60%, than white potash being too similar to mineral potash for comfort and then gated behind some lategame mechanic or resource in order to keep it balanced.

As a followup to what I said yesterday, I had some time in the evening to playtest a few actual ingame numbers.

Keep in mind this is just a suggestion; you don't have to take it if you're happy with the way it works right now. Your mod and all :)

- - -

Current setup is 8x ash at 3% each (24% total) converting into 1x white potash at 60%. I think this could be improved upon, because a.) game design best practice recommends not having a renewable resource match the best nonrenewable resource in capability; and b.) the value of ash is so low that using it as-is doesn't justify the resource investment to produce it; and c.) the majority of the value of white potash is produced in the second step, which costs zero resource investment beyond the one-time cost of a bucket and a barrel.

Ergo: I recommend lowering the value of white potash to something in the 40%-50% range. This leaves it comparable to saltpeter, which is also a nonrenewable resource. However, it is not the best nonrenewable resource. It is also found primarily in areas where wood is scarce, and wood scarcity makes white potash a less ideal choice, giving saltpeter a leg up in the direct competition for people who settle in those areas.

At the same time, the value of ash can be increased, and potentially the production process adjusted, so that the majority of the value is produced during the resource-intensive first step.

For example, instead of a 4:1 ash to water ratio, you could use a 3:1 ratio. Now only six ash convert into one white potash instead of eight, meaning each ash can have a larger relative value of its own. As a side benefit, a stack of 64 ash can now be used for a 60 ash / 20 liters mix, instead of the current, awkward 40 ash / 10 liters that barely even uses the barrel.

The value of ash can be doubled to 6%, or even a smidgen higher to 7%. That makes it actually an option in the earlygame, although it still requires a major investment of wood (both as input and as fuel) and player time (both procuring wood and repatedly re-fertilizing fields). It would be something you'd use if you found yourself settled in a low-fertility area with lots of forest and for some reason were disinclined to relocate.

At the bottomline you'd have 6x 6% = 36%, turning into 1x 40%-45%; or maybe 6x 7% = 42%, turning into 1x 45%-50%. And though it seems like you barely get anything out of the white potash step, this is not true; you do get a few extra percent for free, and you get convenience. You get to apply one batch of fertilizer and walk away for a month instead of re-doing it every 2-3 days.

In this setup, the white potash is ultimately weaker than in its current iteration, but it also requires less input wood, and less total player time, and the barrel operation is more convenient.

Edited by Streetwind

These are all great suggestions everyone! Thanks for taking the time to give such thorough input, I did a little more research on hay vs straw and I think straw will make for a very useful item. The next update will mostly just tweak the potash recipes

Small fixes to expect for the next update:

• Fix log burn temperatures
  • Increase Ash K fertilization to 6%
  • Decrease White Potash fertilization to 45%, to make it still valuable but also inferior to mined (red) potash. 
  • Change lye recipe to 3:1 ash to water ratio.
    • This will in turn make it a 6:1 ratio to make white potash, providing an overall 1.25X bonus to ash fertilization in the end product. 

Next big update will include crop tweaks:

• Allow farmland to be picked up as blocks, or maybe use a shovel to convert farmland back to soil (right click function?)
  • Allowing grains to be converted to and from seeds by crafting
  • Harvesting grain crops will produce straw, an alternative material for some recipes:
    • A much needed alternative for skeps
    • A straw hat, gotta be able to craft SOME kind of decorative wear :)
    • Straw baskets (both hand and storage baskets)
    • Alternative straw bedding for the in-game bed
    • Adobe and Straw blocks, lighter/yellowish versions of the mudbrick and hay bale blocks.
    • Place over farmland to prevent grass from growing
    • Straw bedding for animals that will eventually deteriorate into "soiled" versions.
      • Can be used to make saltpeter via the french method.
      • The soiled straw can be combined into a "niter bed", which will slowly decompose over a year (maybe?) to make a "Calcified Niter Bed"
      • Mixing with water will dissolve the calcium nitrate into "Niter Water"
      • "filter" with White Potash in a barrel again to make Saltpeter. Hooray for antique chemistry!
    • If/when a mechanical press is made briquettes could be produced from straw, though this might be a bit too "industrial" for VS.

As far as later versions go I agree that making a cauldron shouldn't require iron. However, bronze (and likely copper) cauldrons like this existed, so maybe it can be made out of any viable sheet metal. 

I could have it also made from clay, but I do like the idea of having some sort of early/mid level progression requirement for a tool that could be used for other chemical brewing procedures. Alternatively, I could have the metal version give more space for larger batches and perhaps heat up faster.

Edited by The_Lazy_Warlock
  • Like 1

Oh nice!  Awesome ideas for straw.  I like the grass suppression.

Allowing grains to be converted to and from seeds by crafting

There's an interesting early game trade-off here - eat the grains but have nothing to plant, or plant the grains but have nothing to eat.

On 4/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, radfast said:

Hay is dried sweet grass used as an animal food item, as a winter food supplement for any grass-eater or the staple diet for any herbivore kept in a stable or hutch.  I'm not sure if it has any other significant uses IRL.  The existing Dried Grass item in VS is hay.

Hay is also used to make haylage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silage#Haylage
https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Haylage

Probably also provides more nutrients when composted than straw, but you'll have a lot more grass seeds mixed in so you'll get more weeds.

Edited by Yorple
typo

Another Linux user here. While I don't have the time to properly playtest right now (just found the mod and decided that I wanted to try it in my game), I did have the time to quickly start up my game and see if the tool molds this mod adds are there - and they are. I can also stack knife tool heads and create sticks out of boards and firewood, so I'm assuming that the mod works on my Linux game, unless you're having a more specific issue than just "doesn't work", Nariel?

5 hours ago, Lezandrys said:

Another Linux user here. While I don't have the time to properly playtest right now (just found the mod and decided that I wanted to try it in my game), I did have the time to quickly start up my game and see if the tool molds this mod adds are there - and they are. I can also stack knife tool heads and create sticks out of boards and firewood, so I'm assuming that the mod works on my Linux game, unless you're having a more specific issue than just "doesn't work", Nariel?

Tools heads don't stack but stamps are there I am going to download and try again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.