cellars

Sparkle Kitti

Well, if you click the "soil" link right there on the wiki, it takes you to soil-type construction blocks, which (among others) include mud bricks. So I would be surprised if they don't work. You can test it though, by comparing the amount of preservation your stored food gets inside versus outside (or versus invalid materials, like wood).

As for the doors issue, I would personally default to a ladder. Most of the time I opt for ladders in my starter house basements anyways, as space is at a premium and stairways take up an unnecessary amount of it. In this respect at least, Vintage Story and Minecraft have no differences at all ;) 

• Like 1

2020-03-31_01-35-48.thumb.png.33dfbb4bf5b0188b2399b383374aa52b.png🌸  So I made a 5x5x4 cellar of dark mudbrick and I noticed that it's not being recognized as a cellar. Can anyone tell what I'm doing wrong? I also noticed that my two vessels show different decay rates in the same room. Does whats in them affect it?  💖

Edited by Sparkle Kitti
forgot the picture

Hey Kitty!

can you tell me whats the decay-rates are for the pots?
also is the roof just those bricks or is there another layer above?
Doors are not solid blocks as such they are detrimental to preservation. Optimal would be an airtight room.

The position of the Vessel could matter depending how close to the door they are.

I build my cellars allways inside mountains/hills and a good way into it and it works fine for me that way.

above those bricks are planks. No door. I usually look at the "other" rate for noting the differences, but it varies from .26 to .3. One thing I wondered, does it need to be a complete solid box? If I were to break the top block of the wall, the block above it would be stone or soil. Do all the blocks need to be the same to be recognized? Or can you have a mix of the mud bricks and cobble?

.26? that sounds like best possible?

20200323165046_1.thumb.jpg.2944767b0cfad01a4d874ab422a0bbad.jpg

This is a Vessel in my Cellar, i'm rather sure that it's about the best possible as long as you have a door.

Grains last for almost 5 years inside.

are you sure your cellar isn't recogniced as one?

The only thing left would be that nonsolid blocks might make problems same as in a charcoalpit.
So doors, slabs and stairs would reduce the effekt of a cellar. but that should only concern the walls the cellar is made out of.

Edited by Kaelty

• 9 months later...

I don't know if this question is still a question anymore but the answer is in the low/medium area. The total external dimensions can't be more than 9 x 9 x 9 with all the corner edges cut out. It's only the 7 x 7 walls, ceiling, and floor that is checked. Those surfaces can be made out of any material or mix of materials listed in the dirt, stone, or clay block categories listed on the wiki including hay blocks (dirt category). Slabs or stairs can be used as long as they are placed vertically forming a solid wall with no gaps allowing light through. (There is a lighting glitch around the edges in 1.14.5 but the structure still counts) The best setup I've found for an opening is to seal the door with hay (easy to break) then place a door flush with the hay blocks. Any time you need in or out break the hay then close the door behind you to seal the room. When done leave the door open and replace the hay, if you close the door and place the hay the cellar will used the bonuses of the door rather than the greater bonus of the fully sealed room(hay blocks). I hope that answers you questions and the questions of anyone else who looks this up.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.