VR Support?

Thornorium

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

https://www.vintagestory.at/roadmap.html/

The roadmap actually has VR support listed!

On 1/28/2021 at 2:14 AM, Moritz Wagner said:

but please don't try to do it like vivecraft make it right.

What's the issue with vivecraft? It's actually pretty much the best case scenario for VR support in my opinion. Works great, has plenty of options in terms of settings and playstyle, with motion controller support and other VR-specific options like climbing and other players seeing your motion controlled arms. That's before even mentioning it's not even from the developers but a free fan-made mod. Far better even than the official very limited official support.

Honestly just quite confused what you could possibly mean by wanting it not to be like Vivecraft. I can't imagine much better support, and definitely haven't seen any non-VR game receive a better VR version, than Vivecraft. Please do elaborate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to throw my support in, too.

Have used the HP Reverb G2 now (WMR), and VR for VS was the first thing I thought of.

I can't even imagine how how hard it is to get VR into the game, though. Obviously I think WMR Support should be the way to go ;)

• 1 month later...

I think this is a really great idea.

More and more people buy VR. Have a Valve Index too and one of the things I hope to play in the future is Vintage Story VR.
There are so few good Multiplayer games (or games in general) for VR.. this would be totally an enrichment

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Implementation could be done in two stages, to make it a lot easier while giving people VR access almost right away. I for one, would love to have even basic VR support for now.

Stage 1: (the super easy (in most cases) part of VR implementation)

- Add HMD support only, and still rely completely on using keyboard and mouse to play. The HMD would simply act as the mouse cursor, so it would be look to aim (just like the GTAV VR mod). This could simply enable a stereoscopic view so no HMD detection would even be necessary. Just turn on or off in options.

Stage 2: (the much harder part of VR implementation)

- Add motion control support and VR specific mapping and controls

- Refine and add proper HMD detection

- Add proper VR interactions (like swinging your falx by actually swinging your arm) etc etc

- Essentially all of the really long/hard to develop stuff that only benefits VR players and isn't a concern for focus yet

I caved in and bought VorpX hoping I could get at least a pseudo VR thing going with Vintage Story, but no dice sadly.

Vintage Story uses a custom engine made with C# and .NET7 so VorpX can't seem to hook the exe, and inject the stereoscopic driver.

Hopefully the dev team sees this and feels sorry for us minority VR owners >.> :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.