How do I pick up molds?

Four

So I'm learning the game piece by piece and I didn't know before my first 3 worlds on how to make pickaxes and everything, so I looked it up and sure enough I need clay for the molds. I've molded it to how I want it (assuming that's how you do it) but I have no clue on how to pick up the mold. I haven't changed any keybindings or anything, help is appreciated!

30 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I think you can just punch them until they "break" and pop out into item form, like any other block.

But the faster way is having an empty slot in your hotbar selected, and right-clicking the mold. This works with almost all kinds of pottery, by the way - both fired and unfired.

So the way I tried doing that is by making the mold out of clay just regularly, when I finished I tried right clicking, holding right, and punching the molds (tried twice) but nothing came out of it. Do I need a tool or anything? My inventory isn't full so I know it's not that.

Edited by Four
Clarification

7 hours ago, Four said:

I've molded it to how I want it (assuming that's how you do it)

Did you sneak and right click with the clay in the slot and then choose the mold you wanted from the menue and then followed the voxel grid until it was finished?

Edited by junawood
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Four said:

So the way I tried doing that is by making the mold out of clay just regularly, when I finished I tried right clicking, holding right, and punching the molds (tried twice) but nothing came out of it. Do I need a tool or anything? My inventory isn't full so I know it's not that.

Make sure that an empty inventory space is active (highlighted) on your toolbar or else you won't be able to pick it up by right clicking.

Edited by dakko
  • Like 1

I've tried sneaking while putting down the mold, choosing it, and then trying it again but didn't work. When I finish the mold I have tried both right clicking, holding right, and pressing the left button and punching it until it breaks. Even tried sneaking and breaking it. As for following the voxel grid, I didn't see any specific shape I had to make it (I'm just assuming it's free-form) so I shaped it multiple times (in the screenshots it was just random).

I feel like I'm missing something very, very small. I was going to attach a video but that's past 39mb so I just uploaded what I did in screenshots.

2020-09-22_14-51-15.png

2020-09-22_14-51-19.png

2020-09-22_14-51-43.png

2020-09-22_14-51-48.png

2020-09-22_14-51-53.png

Edited by Four

The grid is only viewable when holding clay.

I suspect that it must also be the same type of clay that you started with (so if you've started to craft the mold with fire clay, the grid may not be viewable if you're holding blue clay).

To complete the mold, approach it while holding clay and the grid will be viewable again.

eta: It is not free-form. You must complete the template as it is given.

Edited by dakko
  • Like 1

Alright I figured it out, I was making a huge mistake. I can't believe I messed it up this badly but I was putting voxels into the non-green squares (thinking that was just going to be a shape, should've remembered it was an actual mold and not the shape). Thank you guys!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

And this is our daily reminder that even the (to oneself) most logical and straightforward-seeming UI is not in fact going to be straightforward to 100% of users :D

The amount of ego dripping out of what you just said is astounding. We all overthink and overlook things, if you want to feel like you're superior over simple things go to Reddit.

...Then it apparently came across entirely the wrong way. I apologize. It was meant to be a lighthearted quip about how different people experience and visualize things in a different way.

User interface design is something I am quite interested in, and this particular phenomenon really defines the entire field. How do you make something that literally any person on earth will look at and instantly understand in the same way that you, the designer, personally imagine it in your head? It's like you're expecting other people to read your mind - which is obviously not going to happen. There will always be someone who just sees things in a different way, like you did here. The design intention of the clayshaping UI was "here are green cubes, they show you what you need to fill in". What you saw, however, was "here is an area of cubes you can use like a canvas, to free-form shape the thing you need".

And it is not your fault for seeing it that way, because in the end, any picture in front of you is open to interpretation. The UI designer's goal is to make it as unambiguous as possible, but reaching a hundred percent is pretty much impossible. That is what I was trying to reference.

If that was not your intent then I apologize, I am just quick to the draw sometimes. To paraphrase, in essence, it sounded like "even if a U.I. is completely intuitive and linear not everyone [me] will get it" but disregard that. Thank you for being civil and correcting me on the matter and giving your take, have a good night.

Edited by Four

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.