Lime / salt search

Jaroslav Šváha

World creation does not even distribute biomes and certain rocktypes are more likely to be in the 2nd or 3rd rock layers than the surface. What that means is some spawns certain unnecessary resources require more exploration. I think you might have more fun exploring not knowing what you'll find, rather than searching for one specific thing in mind.

Just flying will only show you what's on the surface. However, the world generally has at least three, sometimes even four stone layers, so it's perfectly possible to find limestone below the surface.

Additionally, halite only spawns on the surface in deserts. If you've been flying anywhere other than deserts, you had no chance to see any. The majority of halite deposits spawn underground.

Finally, you don't need specifically limestone. Chalk rock works just as well. And then there's borax ore, which can generate (underground) in areas where there is neither chalk nor limestone. Borax can be used for tanning as well (though not for plaster).

Borax also cannot be used for mortar, which will be pretty important by the end of 1.14.  So when it comes to mortar there's no other option than lime or chalk.   Though I believe limestone can be bought from some traders, and found in some loot vessels.

Halite dome do very occasionally generate in a fashion where they're exposed on the surface, apparently, based on screenshots I've seen.  I'm not sure this isn't a bug, but it apparently happens, very rarely.   Deserts are indeed the better bet as those halite deposits generate right on top of the top stone layer, just below the sand and gravel, and so aren't terribly uncommon to see exposed in rocky cliffs, if they exist in the area.  Halite is intended to be rather rare/difficult to get.   But if you use your propick to focus your cave diving in areas with halite readings, you should find some.   Also remember that it can be bought from trader(s?).  Also found in loot vessels, though that's not reliable obviously.

Regarding lime, you can also grind up seashells for 2 lime each. Do note though, there's like 5~6 different kinds of seashells and 3~4 color verities of each kind, and none of them stack with each other, so it's highly unlikely you'd be able to bring back a lot of seashells, at once even if you do find a lot. They're not very common, but they're not that rare either, and can somewhat help you with your lime needs until you find some lime/chalk.

Thanks for all the tips, I will address most advices and questions.

I know that chalk and borax can be used as well, and I've been on a lookout for those too.

I eventually did find a limesand beach and limestone in nearby caves. That also gave me the confidence to say that I never came across it before, since I inspected the whole map I have discovered and did not find any place with the same colour.

Seashells are what I have been using before, but with the amount of lime you need for leatherworking and building, they are pretty useless.

Regarding halite, I do know that it is only found in deserts, though I do not know how far south do you need to be, I believe I was at like 13k

I eventually did buy halite stones from a trader.
Also I found out that you can build a cellar, and you can seal crockpots with fat to preserve food, so I no longer have much need for salt.

Thanks anyway guys. 

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Šváha said:

Regarding halite, I do know that it is only found in deserts, though I do not know how far south do you need to be, I believe I was at like 13k

It's not *only* found in deserts.  Salt domes can be found in any climate (but there must be a fairly thick sedimentary top layer).   The specific halite deposits that are discs near the surface, that specific deposit type is only found in deserts, and the top layer must be sedimentary here as well, though it does not have to be near as deep as for salt domes.  But you can theoretically find salt in any climate.   Anecdotally I think you may have to travel a lot more than 13k south now.  I think climate band width was bumped up recently to where it may be double that now, possibly.

38 minutes ago, redram said:

Anecdotally I think you may have to travel a lot more than 13k south now.  I think climate band width was bumped up recently to where it may be double that now, possibly.

That just sounds like a pain i.t.a.
though if you're not already living in the south, I guess you don't really need salt for anything, at least right now. I think if they introduce things like villages, vandering traders or stuff like that, it will be much easier to get these hard to find resources.

That's one of the many things that can be manually configured at world creation though. For my latest world, I set the pole-equator distance lower, to 25k blocks (and if you want you can set it even lower than that).

As for new things that require salt - yeah, that's coming with 1.14 ;)

To make cheese, you need a pickled veggie as a starter. And you'll want to make cheese to fill up that new, fifth nutrition bar for an additional +2.5 max HP. I reckon that for most players, this is going to be a mid- to endgame thing.

Edited by Streetwind
Typo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.