Medieval Torch Holder.

tony Liberatto

The idea is to have a Torch that is a permanent light source.

It would require metal, at least bronze, but the recipe would be chipper than Lanterns because it would give same light level as a regular torch.

It would be a great addition to decorate Castles and Medieval Buildings.

Not sure what would be more balanced 1 or 2 bronze ingots. But it needs to be less than the 3 copper that the Lantern uses. After all it would be Bronze and less Light.

medieval-torch-game-of-thrones-style-3d-model-low-poly-obj-fbx-blend-mtl.jpg

On another note, maybe we could have the Paper Lantern that already exists in creative added to the Survival. The recipe could ask for Linen instead of paper.

I tested the model from above ingame and it seemed way too massive (more like a quiver for arrows instead of a torch holder). Looked like a lot of metal was used, which was also not realistic back then, because people were really sparing with metal. I remade the model to this here, please let me know what you think:

5aa77d9401429_holderlit.png.04069de6251d3ff603ae95497be2942d.png

2018-03-13_08-26-14.thumb.png.2e34ab4047ef90767b6640dbf532e9f2.png

And this is how it used to look before:

2018-03-13_08-34-34.thumb.png.f132997a71aeb9d9cee28b8ef087099a.png

I really love that you doing this model, I do not want to sound ungrateful, but it looks too bulky for me. I think it should be slimmer.

Holder.jpg.ffd95e1a7984beaea7ea840cbe049ce9.jpg5aa7c593152d6_Holder2.jpg.8e021d00884148ae12b2c26a6477ba66.jpg5aa7c5938be51_Holder3.jpg.83b3db8d53ab1eff582d299388894f58.jpg

Don't get me wrong I will use whatever model you end up releasing and be very grateful for that.

I have not tried the model creator, so no idea how hard is it to create models, or what limitations it has.

Once again Thanks.

Oh, no worries at all Tony, I am never offended by feedback! ^_^
The last model I made is probably as small as it can get if we would like to keep the metal ring around the torch. I always try to use only full voxels and single faces for models (consistency reasons). So torch is already two voxel so I made the ring three.
Also sometimes screenshots might be not very representative. After seeing it ingame (with and without torch) tell me if you still feel like it should be thinner and I can try to tweak around.

53 minutes ago, tony Liberatto said:

I have not tried the model creator, so no idea how hard is it to create models, or what limitations it has.

It's very easy to use once you get used to it! :)

20 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

A quick recipe for the paper Lantern if someone with skills wants to add it.

And a legit use for Lead, since it was historically used to create glass frames.

Thumbs up for use for lead, but why would a paper/linen lantern require lead or glass for that matter?  Lead would not hold either very well.   It should be sticks, really.

And ya, thinner torch is definitely better.

33 minutes ago, redram said:

Thumbs up for use for lead, but why would a paper/linen lantern require lead or glass for that matter?  Lead would not hold either very well.   It should be sticks, really.

And ya, thinner torch is definitely better.

To be honest I just did not want anyone accusing me of wanting a chip even stronger light source.

In my mind, the "Paper Lanter" is a VS replacement for the Glowstone, and so it is a solid block that you can walk on it. So I envision as a block of glass, with lead creating the frames, Linen is on the inside to hide the light source that is the actual Lantern.

Anyways that is my reasoning, I don't really care much, but think it should be expensive to make because of how much more light it gives. But not too expensive to the point that no one makes it like clay bricks are now.

9 hours ago, Stroam said:

Really? Don't you already place torches on the ground to maximize the amount of area Drifters can't spawn in?

Never though of that actually lol.  I don't really light up the cave MC style, since drifters currently are more of an annoyance then the actual thread. I place torches on ground and walls to mark the deposits that are hard to see and hold them in hands while exploring.

Nevertheless, I kinda like the idea of allowing torches on walls in holders only. Not sure however, how is this going to affect the gameplay in beginning where player wont be able to place torches on walls up until bronze age... O.o

I don't really think ground-only torches would hurt.  There's always a horizontal surface around, except sometimes in those really deep vertical shafts.  But, if torches can only be placed on the ground, maybe the model should look like the torch is lying down?  Rather than somehow perfectly balanced?

Don't have anything in favor or particularly against torches on the floor, but because they are so short lived I don't know if is worth touching the code just for that. It would not actuall ychange my gameplay much as I usually place my torches on the floor and pick them up when done mining.

Archived