What do you do with all the extra soil?

Granwar

So I'm landscaping my home area.  Digging a moat etc... Now I've got multiple stacks of soil.  What can I do with it?  Is there a way to trash blocks? Other suggestions? I don't really want to have to craft storage containers just to store piles of soil. TIA!

I make stone path slabs and construct roads towards nearby traders. This also helps to get rid of all the stone pieces I get from mining.

Since I am too lazy to dig the road into the ground, I put slabs on top instead - like a raised gravel road kind of thing. I also attempt to follow the terrain instead of cutting straight through it, as that creates better-looking, more immersive roads. All this means I hardly get any dirt out of the construction effort, and so this project is great for getting rid of leftover dirt.

My nearest trader is 800 blocks north and 150 blocks west, and I went two wide. You can do the math about how much dirt that took ;)

• Like 3

I normally settle way closer to a trader, but roads are the way to go.

other than that you can burn items in lava or let them despawn.

17 hours ago, Streetwind said:

This also helps to get rid of all the stone pieces I get from mining.

i know exactly what you mean, haven't found a nicer use for peridotite yet...

I close also dangerous caves with extra soil, since I have done that I have less drifters, I even have some nights without drifters*, and I cant fall into a deep hole (accident), but if I fall into a hole I have a ladder in my backpacks. But I mark on map every cave/deep hole, for future expeditions.

But I wish, I can kill one a day drifters bit more again, for extra flax and temporal gears. Maybe I should open soon a cave again build a trap for drifters ;)
I have near my home grassland (with lot of sheeps) also sealed (marked) - so that I can run and hunt more safely.

I use also extra soil for building flat landmaking, in a flat sea, here I will build more buildings in the future. I also fill holes after digging with the pan with earth.
In future, I have a big lake that blocks my way to a dealer, maybe I'll build a land bridge, depending on the depth of the lake.

Edited by RobinHood

yes, you are right, but I have seen that drifters running out of caves (at evening) and into (caves in morning), since I have closed these exits, I dont have so much drifters like before. And some nights are without drifters in my near or not so much. In the beginning of game  / with weak weapons, I have much more fear about wolves. Especially if they are in a group.

And for (heavy) temporal storms, I have a small "panic room" - inside my base building ;) 2x2 blocks small.

Edited by RobinHood

I was speaking about the sheep, drifters are nothing one really wants to keep around...

That panic room is only a death trap, if it's not inside of chiseled blocks, in temporal storms drifters can spawn in any light level and even in midair. but that's another topic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.