More sleeping Time in the longer winternights?

RobinHood

2 hours ago, Setimu said:

Maybe we just need more stuff to do indoors during the long night though.

In my experience this is only a problem in the early game.  Later on there is plenty to do, if you enjoy the parts of the game that can be done indoors or in a mine.

I have a hosted server with game days set to last about 4 hours. This makes for some very long nights in the winter time, and I stay plenty busy most nights, as do others that have joined me there..

~TH~

• Like 1

If sleep time would be changed based on season (which makes no sense for people settling near the equator) to be longer in winter it should be shorter in summer, the times were implemented when there were no seasons, therefore should be considered the middle ground for over spring and autumn and not the minimum for over summer.

But A) that only makes sense for single player (on servers it seems to be necessary for everyone online to sleep to fast forward the time), B) only makes sense for the early game, when you might have not much to do during the night, C) as mentioned only makes sense further away from the equator, D) takes away from making a winter residence closer to the equator to go over the winter, E) later you often only sleep to speed something up a bit (bloomery, automated machinery working...) or because you finished all tasks you wanted to do over night and there is still some nighttime left (often resulting in awakening only shortly before noon)...

Considering all that, i think the best solution could be making beds provide you the means of sleeping a maximum of x hours (depending on quality) a day, and providing the player more control over how long they want to sleep at a certain time? and maybe other factors go into that too? if the room isn't warm enough you might not be able to sleep as long, if the room is nicely decorated (building blocks used for walls, floor and ceiling, carpets, fancy furniture and tapestries might have a comfort rating) you might be able to sleep a little longer...

example, haybed 7.5 hours, you select to only sleep 2 hours and are able to sleep the remaining 5.5 as long as you start them before noon and you get new 7.5 hours on dusk? Or you don't select anything but see your remaining sleeptime tick down and can stop via sneak (same as standing up after sleeping)

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1

I like that ;), what hal13 says

I think also that lack of sleep, e.g. 48 should be made negative conditions and so on ... I have post somth for sleeping also here, and good/les sleep bit less hunger, if you sleep your body dont need use much calories, and more health restore.

And temperature, daytime and light should also have an influence of sleep quality. E.g. best time to sleep, REM sleep 1am-2am. Best temperature 16°C. To much sunlight, light, noise bad also. 

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1

It's funny how we all have different ways to play. I am probably like Thalius, I NEVER sleep. I plan my day to be mostly outside on daytime, gathering, hunting, exploring, mining, feeding animals, visiting traders, and indoor on night time. There is so much to do (leather, cooking, bakering, bricks, glass, casting, smithing ... and when I have some spare time, panning till the dawn). Even in the early days of the game, in a 2x3 burrow, I manage to have sufficient stone spears, and kill drifters through a "window".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RobinHood said:

E.g. best time to sleep, REM sleep 1am-2am. Best temperature 16°C. To much sunlight, light, noise bad also. 

That's not even correct for every human, why should it be correct for all seraphs? I strongly object too strict mechanics.

15 hours ago, RobinHood said:

but working more than 48 without sleep, this should be negative for health

Seraphs (player characters) are not human, only humanoid, they are able to carry several metric tons and hold objects over 1000°C hot in their bare hands. maybe sleep is not a necessity for them but a luxury? Something nice you do for yourself from time to time? introducing the necessity to sleep would produce problems for people playing on multiplayer servers, some people like hunting monsters in the night which would mean others might have to wait several minutes (or depending on server setting even hours) while their character lies in bed (because no timeskip without everyone sleeping in most cases).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

bit faster healing restoration or/and bit less calories-cosnumption. ;)

Are you sure about that ? For the healing rate, I don't know, but for the hunger rate, I think it's the same as if you you stay awake (and idle, of course).

19 minutes ago, Saricane said:

Are you sure about that ? For the healing rate, I don't know, but for the hunger rate, I think it's the same as if you you stay awake (and idle, of course).

We are speculating what COULD be, not what is, the status quo is sleeping gives no buff, just advances time.

But while sleeping your hunger should deplete a bit slower and maybe giving sleeping a slight regeneration buff might make more people interested in sleeping from time to time?

• 2 weeks later...

Now I also don't sleep in Vintage Story. Only very seldom, only if I'm to far away from home-base, so I sleep only by a trader (or later in an outpost). I have in my house a small hole with water and I did panning recources. or I work (smithing, woodworking....) ;) - I wish me a simple clock in VS. Like in Minecraft. Hope we will have a mod for this, or an implementation later.

Edited by RobinHood

6 hours ago, RobinHood said:

very nice ;) - also good for bit better "temporal storm" warning.

It is a nice, simple convenience to have.  All the info it gives can already be pulled up if you know how to do so, but it puts it neatly on the screen where you have easier access to it.

Also found that if I have it installed it still gives me the info even on multiplayer servers online, but only on my client side of things.

Personally, I spend most of the in-game year doing outdoor stuff and collecting materials for the winter so that I can do in-door tasks once winter hits. Leather making, stonework, chiselling, making tools... I literally do all of that in the winter. One thing that I'm not sure enough people do is panning via a "sink" inside, instead of doing it outside - I have spent many winter nights going through bony soil this way.

• Like 1

That's the best thing you can do. I do it these works also in the night or winter too.

Only in March and April did I have to sleep that night again. But there was another reason, I ran out of food and I had to go hunting every day (working more hunger). Relief came in late April and May with the first berries. But through the hunt I collected a lot of seeds on the side. And have secured 2 Terapreta deposits. Happy Accidents.

I have also an Idea, what about a Tavern, and you can play with NCP-Villiagers a Minigame - like Somnium in CIV IV / Fall From Heaven :)

Edited by RobinHood
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

I will only accept minigames if I can play them with other players. Sorta like that one omok board mod.

I think that would make the most sense. That the board exists, it begs to have an implementable mini-game option. Maybe have a bag of game pieces be another thing to find in ruins, to complete the set, so to speak, to unlock the option.

Somnium you can also play with others, its a simple card game, with 2 persons or 1 person vs. AI. My Idea, currency are gears, or a chest. if you play against AI, and the AI won, he can also getting fury and want kill / fight with you. Thats the reason of somnium-idea in FFH2/Ashes Of Erebus (CIV4) - if you lost this game, your reputation is running low ;) - even its a war reason for the AI. In my Eyes Somnium the best Minigame in a Game ;)

Its bit better like scissors, stone, paper, but more risk like poker, but not so complex like poker, this game is funny & easy :)

Edited by RobinHood

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.