Alchemy

Llama3013

Alchemy.thumb.png.c5c23752503eda656c6582781d887a15.png

This mod (currently) has several potions to choose from:

• Archer's Flask- Gives the player increased ranged damage, accuracy and charge speed. (Accuracy and charge speed is shown in the character stats dialog)
  • Fighter's Flask - Gives the player increased melee damage.
  • Healing Oil - Gives the player healing over time.
  • Hunter's Delight - Gives the player increased animal lot, forage amount, wild crop amount and reduces animal seeking range.
  • Looter's Delight - Gives the player increased forage amount, rusty gear amount from metal piles, vessel content amount and wild crop amount.
  • Miner's Flask - Gives the player increased mining speed and ore drop rate. (Seems to only work on stone and ores)
  • Potent Oil - Gives the player increased natural healing effectiveness, which means you should heal quicker over time. (Healing effectiveness is shown in the character stats dialog)
  • Purging Brew - Gives the player increased hunger rate to help use all of your food before it spoils. (Hunger rate is shown in the character stats dialog)
  • Predator Pheromones - Animals find the player easier when this is used.
  • Scent Mask - Animals have a harder time to find the player when this is used.
  • Settling Brew - Gives the player decreased hunger rate to help you through the winter.
  • Spiked Oil - Gives the player poison damage over time. You don't want to drink this.
  • Sprinter's Flask - Gives the player increased movement speed. (Walk speed is shown in the character stats dialog)
  • Vitality Flask - Gives the player extra max health for the duration of the potion.
  • Recall Flask - Teleports the player back to their home.
  • Glow Flask - The player will glow brightly.

1138494102_Alchemypotionlist.thumb.png.439f308fa4cfa044ee38d75b3f6d28f3.png

Some notes:

• This mod is currently balanced slightly better than before but some of it may still be overpowered. Balancing suggestions are welcome.
  • Mining potion increases mining speed only on stone and ores.
  • Poison and Regen potion poison/heal you over time.
  • Potion effects disapear after dying or restart.
  • Potion bases and potion flasks are required to make potions.
  • The ingredients to make potions bases other than the basic one are currently just different combinations of flowers with a mortar & pestle.
  • All the recipes should be in the handbook. (search for "potion").
  • Wildcraft adds herbs to the game to add more combinations for potions. (previously wild farming did this but now only wildcraft adds herbs. Also currently not all of the herbs are used in potions.)
  • Wild Farming mod is recommended if you want a renewable source of flowers.
  • Any bugs or suggestion please go to my forum post, my github page or post a comment down below.
  • Should be compatible with most mods.
  • You cannot drink the same potion when you already have the potion's effects active.

If there are mods that are incompatible with mine let me know and I will try to add compatibility.

Modifying/creating potions

Spoiler

Sorry if this guide is written poorly there are a lot of steps. This guide is subject to change. (this guide is outdated but still slightly relevant)

If you want to create a potion you can but with alot of steps of modifying the json. First go to the alchemy mod and extract its contents then go into assets\alchemy\itemtypes\potion folder and then open potion.json in your preferred editor. For me it looks like this:image.thumb.png.43cc84f1d14b517939e5d55cc435c68b.png

To create a potion you need to give it a name and put it in with the long line of the list of potions. Which is located under the line variantgroups: [. and then in the states square brackets put in the name of your potion making sure to surround the name with quotation marks ("") and have a comma afterwards. Here you can also remove what potions you don't want as well. An example would be:

variantgroups: [
        { code"potiontype"states: ["mypotion""all""alltick""archer""healingeffect""hungerenhance""hungersupress""hunter""looter""melee""mining""poison""predator""regen""scentmask""speed"] }
],

Then underneath attributesByType: { type "potion-yourpotionname": { now inside these curly brackets you will need to have drankBlockCode: "potionflask-burned" potionId with a string value (potionId must contain the string potionid for example "yourpotionid") and a number duration (this is the amount of seconds that the potion lasts) at the very least. Once you have those add in what effects you want to add into your potion. For example you wanted a mining speed of an extra 20% and extra ore drop rate of 10% it would look like this: 

"potion-mypotion": {
    potionId"mypotionpotionid",
    mining0.2,
    ore0.1,
    duration180,
    drankBlockCode"potionflask-burned"
},

After this you have added the potion to the game but you need to add a crafting recipe for it. Also if you want to show liquid inside you still need to add the texture.

To add the texture you need to find textureByType: { and inside the curly brackets add something like this

"*-mypotion": {
    content: { base"game:block/wood/pine"}
},

replace the string with the desired texture from the base game.

Now to add the recipe you need add your potion to the potionbase.json inside of assets\alchemy\itemtypes\ingredient\ folder. same as before you need to add your potion to the variantgroups states. An example would be: 

variantgroups: [
    { code"basetype"states: ["mypotion""archer""healingeffect""hungerenhance""hungersupress""hunter""looter""melee""mining""poison""regen""speed""basic"] }
],

Then go to assets\alchemy\recipes\grid\ingredient\ and create a file called mypotionbase.json. Then copy and paste this example:

{
    ingredientPattern"H,F,T",
    ingredients: {
        "H": { type"item"code"game:stick" },
        "F": { type"block"code"game:flower-catmint-*" },
        "T": { type"item"code"alchemy:mortarpestle-*"isTooltrue }
    },
    width1,
    height3,
    output: { type"item"code"alchemy:potionbase-mypotion"quantity1 }
}

This will make one of your newly created potion base. Lastly go to assets\alchemy\recipes\grid\ingredient\ and then open potion.json and add your potion to the allowedVariants. An example:

"P": { type"item"code"alchemy:potionbase-*"name"potiontype"allowedVariants: ["mypotion""archer""healingeffect""hungerenhance""hungersupress""hunter""looter""melee""mining""poison""regen""speed"] },

Once all of these steps have been completed correctly you will have a new potion.

Developer stuff and To-Do List

Spoiler

If there are bugs with my mod you can create an issue on my github page: here, post a reply here or direct message me on discord.

Known bugs:

When drinking a potion the animation plays twice even though you can only drink the potion once until the effects wear off.

heldhelp-drink was not working so I hardcoded in the Drink tooltip.

To-Do List:

• Balance crafting recipes.
  • Add more potions.
  • Make poison potion throwable.
  • Change the potions to liquidContent. Want to allow buckets or barrels full of potions. (I am currently working on this)
  • Give flowers, herbs and fly agaric, potion essences to then have different potion effects with different durations and effectiveness. (I think I can do this, just need to think about it some more)
  • Add knappable flowers to cut away parts of the flowers that aren't need for the potion increasing specific essences. (Adding knapping is harder than I thought it would be may take some time or not happen)
  • Add oven baking option for cooked cuttings.
  • Implement distiller into potion crafting to create better or specific potions.

Suggestions are welcome.

Big thanks to Rejn_Bashag for making the new potion flask, herb rack and mortar & pestle shape, creating better names for potions and cover art.

Edited by Llama3013
  • Like 2
  • Mind=blown 1
  • Thanks 2

Glad it works! If I may make a suggestion, the shape looks a bit too high-fidelity. And it doesn't look like any potion bottle I've ever seen. Maybe make them look more traditional?

https://graphicriver.img.customer.envatousercontent.com/files/281482757/preview.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&q=80&fit=crop&crop=top&max-h=8000&max-w=590&s=3f84790075d80f36260ac12d245d853f

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Glad it works! If I may make a suggestion, the shape looks a bit too high-fidelity. And it doesn't look like any potion bottle I've ever seen. Maybe make them look more traditional?

https://graphicriver.img.customer.envatousercontent.com/files/281482757/preview.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&q=80&fit=crop&crop=top&max-h=8000&max-w=590&s=3f84790075d80f36260ac12d245d853f

Yeah you are right, I am going to at some point change the look but I am not to great at making models. Also I was thinking about adding a cork or glass top to the potion that is taken from the top when the player drinks. Not sure how hard that is. At the moment I am adding more potions and maybe adding the ability to add custom json potions. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Amazing! 1

Hello there!
I saw that you had made this cool potion mod and I was really excited, I managed to whip this up in the last few hours, though, the textures were temporary grabs from my compilation of minecraft textures. I could send you the model if you want! I planned on making a potion fluid, but I honestly have only worked with this program as of today, and have no clue. I can even add a cork, or animations too.

image.png.508bdf5993e1f39537718f553c89531b.png

• Mind=blown 2

29 minutes ago, Llama3013 said:

Yeah you are right, I am going to at some point change the look but I am not to great at making models. Also I was thinking about adding a cork or glass top to the potion that is taken from the top when the player drinks. Not sure how hard that is. At the moment I am adding more potions and maybe adding the ability to add custom json potions. Thanks for the suggestion.

and I just saw this now!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cynthal said:

Hello there!
I saw that you had made this cool potion mod and I was really excited, I managed to whip this up in the last few hours, though, the textures were temporary grabs from my compilation of minecraft textures. I could send you the model if you want! I planned on making a potion fluid, but I honestly have only worked with this program as of today, and have no clue. I can even add a cork, or animations too.

image.png.508bdf5993e1f39537718f553c89531b.png

Wow cheers, that's awesome. If could use it that would be awesome. If you do the cork or glass top even better.

Aesthetic suggestion: Perhaps the yellow lines on the side could match the liquid's color? It would blend together better and also make the cork look more distinct.
You could probably squeeze some more liquid inside, too. The walls look REALLY thick.

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Thanks 2

I am using your mod on my server right now and i like the look of the bottles - for me no need to make them look more "traditional", but that's a matter of taste. But yeah, the textures maybe should be a bit more pixelated to better fit into the rest of the game. Or do a second version that has a more "cubic" style and is less round.

Edited by Kai Effelsberg
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kai Effelsberg said:

I am using your mod on my server right now and i like the look of the bottles - for me no need to make them look more "traditional", but that's a matter of taste. But yeah, the textures maybe should be a bit more pixelated to better fit into the rest of the game.

I have an idea of how to adjust the textures, from seeing this. I had just kinda ported them in from textures that werent in game, so Llama just switched the textures to VS friendly, without changing the UVs; Having to adjust all the pieces is time consuming.

Question, do you prefer the blueish tint to the glass, or should we go more grey or pale?

• Like 1

Mod is coming along very nice but I have to ask/suggest one thing : 
For 1.15  a distillery was teased , I would love to see the mod use that to sort of "balance" the potion effect. 
Like you would still be able to make weaker version from maybe a boiled mixture of ingredients but to get the maximum out of it you would have to include the use of the distillery. 

So far I am really liking the idea of this 

Maybe for some additional "Potion" ideas : 
How about something to give animals ? 

Potions or Tinctures to manipulate some stats like making an Ewe think it gave birth so it lactates for maybe a day or two
Something to make then gain weight faster or reduce pregnancy. Those of course would have to be a bit more costly but the way to "apply" them could be via either spiking a single food serving or being able to add it to a trough. 

And about the model : Damn that looks gorgeous , trying to do my own "sap" mod and struggling to make a nice looking tap but that model looks super clean and nice

Keep it up !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey, just updated the mod to version 1.2.0, which fixed the server issue (thanks to server testing by SingABrightSong and NalaIsCool) and added new potion flask shapes by Cynthal. Let me know if there are any new bugs. The new shapes requires the old potions if you had any to be remaped. You should be notified on entering the game with the new mod update to remap. If for some reason that doesn't work you can copy and paste into chat these lines:

/bir remapq alchemy:potionflask-normal-raw alchemy:potionflask-raw force
/bir remapq alchemy:potionflask-normal-burned alchemy:potionflask-burned force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-all alchemy:potion-all force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-alltick alchemy:potion-alltick force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-archer alchemy:potion-archer force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-healingeffect alchemy:potion-healingeffect force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-hungerenhance alchemy:potion-hungerenhance force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-hungersupress alchemy:potion-hungersupress force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-hunter alchemy:potion-hunter force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-looter alchemy:potion-looter force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-melee alchemy:potion-melee force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-mining alchemy:potion-mining force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-poison alchemy:potion-poison force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-predator alchemy:potion-predator force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-regen alchemy:potion-regen force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-scentmask alchemy:potion-scentmask force
/iir remapq alchemy:potion-normal-speed alchemy:potion-speed force

Question about those potions that copy class traits, like Archer's, Hunter's, Miner's, and Looter's. What if you are already one of those classes? Does it stack? Like, does drinking Hunter's Delight further increase animal loot even if you're already getting increased animal loot just from being a Hunter?

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Question about those potions that copy class traits, like Archer's, Hunter's, Miner's, and Looter's. What if you are already one of those classes? Does it stack? Like, does drinking Hunter's Delight further increase animal loot even if you're already getting increased animal loot just from being a Hunter?

Yes, for example if you are a hunter you then have a base ranged accuracy of 130% and if you drank a Archer's Flask it will add 9% to give a total of 139% ranged accuracy. It should work with all of the classes and potions. The potion effects and classes should be independent of each other. Although at the moment if you drank two different potions with the same effect such as Looter's Delight and Hunter's Flask which both give increased forage amount, it will not give that effect twice and you would only gain the forage effect off of the one potion but all other effects from the two potions would be correct.

• Thanks 1

Also from my testing I have found that mechanical damage does not seem to work. Might be base game Stat doesn't work or I tested it wrong. At the moment there is no mech damage potion. Also not sure if going above 100% in ranged accuracy makes you more accurate (At least from when I last tested the crosshair reticle didn't seem to change much)

• 3 weeks later...

There is a new update to this mod, it provides new recipes to have different strengths of potions. To get medium strength potions you need craft cuttings with a flower and a knife and place them on a drying rack. To get strong potions you need to cook the dried herbs on a fire. These recipes are planned to be changed. Any problems report them here, mods page or message me on discord.

Brainstorming a little here.

A distillation apparatus would be the logical future method for increasing potion strength. By selectively evaporating either the active agent or the water content in a clean, enclosed system, you can split the two apart, and you end up with a smaller amount of more concentrated active agent.

The main challenge here is needing an actual distillation apparatus block, for which there would need to be a custom model, a recipe, and processing behavior. That's a big hurdle. But it would open up a lot of neat things. Not just in terms of immersion, but also game mechanical features like progression gating.

The simplest implementation would be to require 2 weak potions worth of input for distilling into 1 medium potion worth of output, and 2 medium potions worth of input for distilling into 1 strong potion worth of output. Or, depending on the strength difference between the tiers, maybe even 3:1.

But you can also consider what progression breakpoints you'd like to require for the stronger potion types. The starter potions could for example be available to anyone with the basic infrastructure of a firepit, a knife, and perhaps as little as a claypot and some clay bowls. Medium potions could require additional tools and ingredient processing steps, and would require being stored in a proper potion flask, which in turn means the player must have progressed to the point of having bronze tools, charcoal, and fire clay. Then finally, the distillation apparatus could open up strong potions, but creating the apparatus itself just might require something truly exotic like meteoric iron parts in order to properly harness the mystic energies involved, or whatever excuse you want to give ;)

There are many potential progression routes. If even weak potions should require proper flasks, that obviously shifts the whole system upwards into the bronze age at minimum, and then you might ask for steel fittings for the distillation apparatus. Unless you also want to require distillation for medium potions, which in turn shifts the block back down in the progression.

And of course, you wouldn't have to limit yourself to distilling. Sometimes such a high amount of active agent may become toxic to the user! So you'd have additional steps like mixing moderating agents into the distilled concentrate, or other such things. That is where you could keep the mechanics of chopping/drying/cooking certain herbs and using them as additives in the making of these stronger potions.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Llama3013 said:

There is a new update to this mod, it provides new recipes to have different strengths of potions. To get medium strength potions you need craft cuttings with a flower and a knife and place them on a drying rack. To get strong potions you need to cook the dried herbs on a fire. These recipes are planned to be changed. Any problems report them here, mods page or message me on discord.

Out of curiosity, how does your drying rack work? I'm wondering if we could tweak the meat rack in Expanded Foods to let you hang herbs from it if you have Alchemy installed.

Oh, @Streetwind, you've seen the distillery concept that the devs have posted, right? https://content.invisioncic.com/r268468/monthly_2021_02/distiller.png.ceaa21b93811062a07fe5a6c2816c203.png

Hopefully Tyron is taking on the challenge so we don't have to. 😛

EDIT: One last thing - I don't know how the potions in this mod work, but if they're actually liquids then you should be able to use the EF bottles for them, as well.

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.