Alternatives to the smithing mechanic?

JamesB

I just got to the point where I'm using the smithing mechanic for the first time and I have to give it two thumbs down.  It's very awkward and frustrating and I don't look forward to having to rely on it going forward.  Has there been discussion on using an alternative to the current mechanic?  At the very least have it be a mode where when you enter it the camera gets locked in an overhead position that allows you to easily manage the movement and removal of cubes?  Right now having to press and hold Alt to lock the camera and having to press F every time I want to change the hammer action is just plain awkward. 

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.  But I'm really liking the game so far and I want to continue playing.  But I can see smithing as being a mechanic that will frustrate me and drive me away. 

The general methodology of smithing will remain the same.  There has been discussion of fine-tuning items such as the mode switching.  Something that is perhaps not well documented is that when you have your hammer selected in your hotbar, you can right click on the anvil to rotate the work piece 90 degrees.   This can greatly reduce or even eliminate, the amount of switching between the directional modes.

15 hours ago, James Berkheimer said:

Right now having to press and hold Alt to lock the camera...

I have gotten in the habit of just hitting "e" and pulling up my inventory box. That freezes the camera so I can more easily work on smithing and knapping projects.  It would be nice if there was a key you could hit to freeze the camera though, and leave it frozen till you hit the key again.

I see no problem with the mechanics though, personally. They could use some fine-tuning, which Redram said is being discussed and will be addressed to make the process smoother.  That will help make it more enjoyable, or at least more tolerable for those that don't exactly look forward to blacksmithing work.

Immersive Mouse Mode is great precisely for this reason. It feels weird at first, but you get used to it quickly.
I only wish I could change the lock/unlock mouse cursor command to one of my mouse buttons, but people have been asking for that for a while...

2 hours ago, redram said:

The general methodology of smithing will remain the same.  There has been discussion of fine-tuning items such as the mode switching.  Something that is perhaps not well documented is that when you have your hammer selected in your hotbar, you can right click on the anvil to rotate the work piece 90 degrees.   This can greatly reduce or even eliminate, the amount of switching between the directional modes.

I think the system is actually on the right path.  I like the puzzle aspect of smithing and feel it should be the focus.  But it's the hand gymnastics I have to go through that makes it a pain.  Anything to reduce button clicking/holding would be a plus in this.  I do like the right-click idea, but still feel the camera lock would go a lot further to reducing the tediousness and hand strain of smithing.

2 hours ago, Thalius said:

I have gotten in the habit of just hitting "e" and pulling up my inventory box. That freezes the camera so I can more easily work on smithing and knapping projects.  It would be nice if there was a key you could hit to freeze the camera though, and leave it frozen till you hit the key again.

I see no problem with the mechanics though, personally. They could use some fine-tuning, which Redram said is being discussed and will be addressed to make the process smoother.  That will help make it more enjoyable, or at least more tolerable for those that don't exactly look forward to blacksmithing work.

I'll have to try inventory box idea, thanks!

49 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Immersive Mouse Mode is great precisely for this reason. It feels weird at first, but you get used to it quickly.
I only wish I could change the lock/unlock mouse cursor command to one of my mouse buttons, but people have been asking for that for a while...

Never tried immersive mode.  Is that the mode where you see your body?

It's best to experience it yourself, but basically, if I walk up to a chest and right click on it, the inventory of the chest will appear above it and I maintain control of my movement and mouse. I can look away, keep the inventory open but not on my screen, do something, then turn back and place it in the chest all very smoothly. I only use ALT when I want to lock the camera and it stays unlocked most of the time otherwise.

EDIT: With regards to smithing, specifically, I only hold ALT when I want to also press F and select a new direction to move the voxels in.

Edited by l33tmaan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.