Hares should not cross oceans to steal my plants

Dachantenne

Okay, maybe "crossing oceans" was a bit exaggerated. But beware of hungry Hares I built my very first "farm" on a small island, at least 30 blocks away from any coastline.
Just before the plants were grown, I discovered they were gone - and a Hare swimming away.

So I would appreciate if these animals (mobs in general?) wouldn't be able to swim these large distances but rather stay either on the coast or the island as this seems quite "unrealistic" to me.

What does the community think?

• Like 1

I tend to build on the dividing line between forests and grasslands to abuse this mechanic.  By making a 1 x wide by 2 x deep trench around your farmland and you will trap enough rabbits to offset the effort of raising of pigs for red meat and hides.  Even better, if you put bees on one side, and extend the trench accordingly, you get a significant amount of fat from raccoons and foxes during the warmer times of the year.  I usually include a fence between the farmland and trench so that I can tend to the farmland throughout the night without fear of drifters and wolves.  By the way, if I leave one of the crops (usually turnips or parsnips) in the ground during winter, rabbits will continue to be attracted.  One last addition, if you use a 2x wide trench then wolves will be attracted to the rabbits and you can essentially farm them.

Changing the AI would be one solution.  Another would be if there was a diminishing probability for rabbits to spawn in a region.  This maintains the experience of rabbits finding your farm as an new food source, but doesn't allow the aforementioned abuse over time.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:58 PM, Dachantenne said:

Okay, maybe "crossing oceans" was a bit exaggerated. But beware of hungry Hares I built my very first "farm" on a small island, at least 30 blocks away from any coastline.
Just before the plants were grown, I discovered they were gone - and a Hare swimming away.

So I would appreciate if these animals (mobs in general?) wouldn't be able to swim these large distances but rather stay either on the coast or the island as this seems quite "unrealistic" to me.

What does the community think?

If you have grass on your island Little Bunny Foo Foo might have spawned, raided and retreated overseas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.