• honey comb (top middle)
    • bars (top right)
    • hexigon (middle left)
    • crystals (middle center)
    • star (middle right)
    • gear 1 (bottom left)
    • gear 2 (bottom middle)
    • Ravigneaux gear (bottom right)
  2. 2. Which do you think fits the VS theme?

• circles (top left)
    • honey comb (top middle)
    • bars (top right)
    • hexigon (middle left)
    • crystals (middle center)
    • star (middle right)
    • gear 1 (bottom left)
    • gear 2 (bottom middle)
    • Ravigneaux gear (bottom right)

Need some feed back. I've got a variety of displays that include health, saturation, exhaustion, oxygen, and thirst. The blank or two blank ones are place holders for something. Which do you A: like the most and B: is more to the VS theme? We'll go number 1 is top left and then numbers continue right and then down with the Ravigneaux gear on the bottom right being number 9. If you have a better design in mind feel free to post a picture.

vitals.jpg.d2bd1f62b0aa9fb57278f24aacb8b435.jpg

Number 3, if you can have the numbers inside the coloured bar, and not to the side. The less intrusive the better. I seldom look at the health and hunger bar, but I think you could rework them and have all bars together at the bottom of the screen.

Very important, as to not bother the player bars could only show if they are less than full. Must flash when being depleted as to call the player attention.

Another idea would be to just reduce the existing health and hunger bar to half their size, this way you could fit 4  bars in the same space. The oxygen bar could show only when the player is under water and slightly higher than the others, but still at the bottom of the screen.

So after reading several articles on the matter, I'm eliminating the middle and bottom row because they don't fit the criteria of being able to remove one element, or add one element and still look good. There's no need to display a bar unless it isn't full. I'm also eliminating circles because honeycomb is clearly better. Vital displays round two in development.

As far as 'in theme' (insofar as I understand the theme) the two bottom left gears seem perhaps best, but don't have the numbers on the bottom segments upside-down.  As far as which I like best, probably top right or top middle.  

However, I'd prefer that each 'bar' actually be something different.  Something that gives a visual clue as to what it's for.  I don't love everything being all same-y.  Nothing as gimmicky as meat haunches though.  Maybe gears, gauges, oilers, maybe even vacuum tubes (given locust precedent) might be more discernible.  A gear could be health, a sight-glass could be thirst, a row of vacuum tubes exhaustion, a 'fuel gauge' satiation, etc.

I agree with Redram, Top right and top middle are the ones less busy.

I can't wait for us to have a minimap, and I usually position it on the right top corner, but I know some players like it on the left top corner. 

So, no matter what shape you finally choose, I think you should let the player position it wherever he or she likes.

10 minutes ago, redram said:

As far as 'in theme' (insofar as I understand the theme) the two bottom left gears seem perhaps best, but don't have the numbers on the bottom segments upside-down.  As far as which I like best, probably top right or top middle.  

However, I'd prefer that each 'bar' actually be something different.  Something that gives a visual clue as to what it's for.  I don't love everything being all same-y.  Nothing as gimmicky as meat haunches though.  Maybe gears, gauges, oilers, maybe even vacuum tubes (given locust precedent) might be more discernible.  A gear could be health, a sight-glass could be thirst, a row of vacuum tubes exhaustion, a 'fuel gauge' satiation, etc.

I like the idea of them all having an icon for easy identification, but I'm not too sure on the specific examples you gave. They're a little too arbitrary to make a connection. I don't really have a creative alternative for it though

57 minutes ago, redram said:

I think is important to be able to quickly identify what each display is about, but at the same time it bothers me to have too many things on the screen, I think you lose immersion. 

One of the things I love about the client+ mod, is the anvil sound when a message comes. because I always play with the chat window closed. 

I do not want to have 5 different things in my screen, the minimal is the best for me. I will not pay attention to it anyways, and will only look if needed.

Archived