Racoons

Fredrik Blomquist
Go to solution Solved by Fredrik Blomquist,

I been thinking about other ways. The only way up on the wall is by ladders and stairs inside my house - they cant really spawn there. My house and wall is only stone. Inside on the other side of the wall there is grass, but i cut all grass there, seen no raccons spawning there even if i got berry bushes. I been looking if i missed some spot of grass not being covered with flowers next to the beehives, but i cant find any despite removing all flowers and replanting them.

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Raccoons spawn near naturally spawned logs, not grass like da li'l bunnies.  I assume the only logs in your build was placed by you?

Ok, didn't know that. Yes, no naturally spawned logs in my base. How far from them can they spawn? There are a few trees north of the base, perhaps 30-40 blocks. Should perhaps cut them down.

By the way - how far away can they detect beehives? I haven't gotten any more racoons since i placed the stone blocks on the fence, but perhaps i just haven't waited long enough yet.

On 8/6/2021 at 3:16 AM, Fredrik Blomquist said:

Ok. This far i haven't gotten any more racoons among the beehives. Don't know if it was the stone blocks that did the trick.

Cutting down the trees clearly made the racoons fewer. But on occasion they swim from the other side of the lake.

Be careful, creatures can also cross lakes when it freezes over in the winter time. My apiary was destroyed because of this and had to be rebuilt/relocated.

Well now i had a racoon inside my wall anyway - not with the beehives thankfully, but on the other side. No wood there, all doors closed, no logs inside. Barrels, fence - they shouldn't spawn racoons? I put wines on a wall - can they do something? I also got pigs and sheep inside, spawning right in front of me. Previous i thought whey where spawned by grass aswell, so i cleared out all of it. What triggers them to spawn?

It'd probably be easier to help you @Fredrik Blomquist if you could post some wider angle screenshots.  Though it looks like you've got a lot of wall to cover.  Be aware that certain placeable objects such as watering cans, or basically anything that has a collision box, will allow animals to get more elevation, and possibly jump over fences.  This excludes troughs; as I understand it, they're specifically coded to not allow animals to step up on them.  As Malestrom says, without natural logs nearby they must be coming from outside, unless maybe you had a mod that was changing spawn parameters?

Sorry, i been away on vacation. Here is a snapshot from inside the wall. There is a lot of wall and i do have items next to the wall. Still, i think the wall should be high enough to not let animals jump over. I know the fence around the garden is to low to protect it during winter, but figured i can take care of it later. Planned to remove all crops by then anyway, and if i can stop spawning inside the wall it shouldn't matter.

I don't have anything next to the outside of the wall, apart from some lanterns, but they are all 3 blocks from the ground, they shouldn't be able to jump on them.

2021-08-15_10-45-32.png

Edited by Fredrik Blomquist

No more racoons. But i got two wolf pups that spawned inside my pen. Or, climbed the corners of the fence somehow. As far as i know wolfes spawn in forests. Now, this is built in the lake, there shouldn't be a wolf spawning area. I had them spawning right where my farm is in the beginning. That was also lake before i built out the farm, but rather close to an island.

2021-08-18_16-42-32.png

9 hours ago, Silent Shadow said:

Wolves spawn in the "forest biome" even if you have settled there or have cut all the trees down. If your lakeside plot is considered within the "forest biome" you will get wolves periodically spawn there and there is not much you can do about it.

Yes, i read about that. I know the forest next to the beach spawn wolfes. When i found them in my farmland that was only about 5 blocks in to the water from the original shoreline, so i didn't find that too strange. This is at least 40-45 blocks from the scoreline into the water - i didn't think that could be "forest biome".

By the way, i read somewhere that wolves spawn in blocks above sea level. If you cut down the ground level below sea level, does that stop wolves from spawning?

Noo! Just got back from visiting my old base, found two racoons among my berry bushes and one among my beehives that had destroyed all but one (it was empty, that's why he left it 😞 )Do i need to put a roof above my  beehives? Got a group of pigs spawning as well. Don't know what to do...-

2021-08-19_16-47-20.png

2021-08-19_16-47-56.png

It could perhaps be this corner, racoons seem to gather there anyway, perhaps they jump on each other to get over, so i put some upside down stairs there. Anyway, winter has come so i can't get any new bees anyway, so i can aswell wait. Going to build another garden besides the first so at least some are safe if they get in.

2021-08-20_20-38-20.png

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.