Technology in game

Hayden Williams

I wanna know people’s thoughts on how far technology in game should go and why. My thought is the beginning of the steam age because the roadmap says that’s what they wanna end it at it seems. I think the early steam age should be the cap of technology because if we go to far it is not then about survival but about have the most items or most efficient way of processing things. But I also think there could definitely be more ways to automate or make easier some things like pottery and tool making let me know what you think.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind going further. With that said - they are going for an at least somewhat realistic approach - i look at what they done with metalworking, and with that said, a don't think further than steam age is praktical or realistic.

What would i like to see? Well steam, water power and distillation is in the roadmap. I would like to see a more immersive textile crafting and glass making. I wouldn't mind seeing glazed pottery. Sure, that could include a large ceramic oven. There is a lot of things to add to make medieval and iron age crafting more immersive. I would like to see more weapons, more furniture and so on.  But even this is going to take a lot of effort. What they are planning in regards som steam i guess is some pretty simple Newcomen machine, that would mean early 18:th century. But i guess vintage story technological development isn't quite the same as ours. I would like to see some sort of gun, and if we talk about "steam age" guns are pretty advanced. I could settle with a simple matchlock gun. You could have even simpler hand cannons. I game could have a wide range of guns, but this is a lot of programming and something i never think the game is going to contain.

I think the developers got quite a lot to do, with riding and boats, apart from everything else, i don't think going further in technological development is something to focus on. Perhaps something for modders.

• Like 3

The Roadmap offers a goodly number of new challenges and they will have corresponding technologies to resolve, But "caffeine9999" had the insight about "instead of getting them for free" that made me think about new technologies for the game at present.  Just to satisfy my curiosity, I built a version of Stonehenge to see if it could be used to track seasons in Creative mode.  I learned that not only is it possible, you can also make a reasonably good sundial to approximate the time of day.  Obviously I wouldn't do this in survival mode, because we have the date/time displayed in a window. I also don't need a level and inclinometer as there is a tooltip with my Y-Level .  The game has complex weather/climate models so a how about a barometer to know when it is going to rain/snow?  In another post I went on about other simple instruments, i.e. surveying tools, and won't bore you by rehashing.   So the technologies I would like to see are those instruments needed to understand the condition of the world around the player.  If nothing else, change the windows in Wilderness Survival mode so as to suppress freebie information to make it worthwhile to make instruments.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:48 AM, caffeine9999 said:

Would love to have some steampunk-themed tech (pistons, springs, elevators with chains/ropes). Also things like compass, depth meter (Terraria-style) would be nice (instead of getting them for free like we have now)

Edited by Soliton
Grammatic mistakes and an additional example
  • Like 2

Interesting, i was my self thinking abut paper crafting. In hardcore mode you don't have a free map. What if you had to be able to craft maps first? Books could be made as well. You could have simple papyrus sheets, but papyrus would only grow in certain regions. parchment would be another option with leather making. Later you could make rice paper (guess you would have to have mulberry plants or similar) or make linen paper.

• Like 2

Getting hung up on how much "technology" should be in the game isn't the right way to look at it.

You spend more time trying to figure out what to exclude rather than deciding what really belongs.

A better question to ask is: What mechanics fit in with the game's design and lore? What would be better off as mods?

What's fun to play? What would add to the experience rather than distracting from it?

Edited by Omega Haxors
  • Cookie time 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.