Tips on culling chicken populations?

allstreets

I'm running into the same problem on multiple saves, which is that it's very difficult to cull my early generation chickens to ensure that the later generation ones are the ones eating the feed and laying and sitting on eggs. The roosters are somewhat easier to do, but I've got about 8 hens that are a mix of gen 0 and gen 1 that just run into the corner whenever I visit the coop, and it's hard to even make out how many I have, let alone hit any of them with something. Anybody found a good method for separating out generations, or even just ensuring that the gen 1 chickens have as much of a chance as laying eggs in a box as the gen 0?

6 hours ago, Josh Gavit said:

The simplest solution I can think of is to pick up this animal cage mod…

https://mods.vintagestory.at/animalcages

This would allow you to pick up your chickens and separate them as needed. I hope this helps…

Oh interesting, I had no idea such a mod existed! I'm going to try and solve this without mods first, but I'll definitely try this if that doesn't work. Thanks for linking it!

1 hour ago, Silent Shadow said:

Have multiple small coops to separate the generations until they are all 3+ generation, try not to get any beyond 9 generations as moving them gets to be much harder since they do not flee from you anymore.

How do you get them into the different coops to begin with though? I haven't been able to successfully separate all the gen 0s and gen 1s because they always go into the same corners together.

The adults run at a faster speed than the chicks so chase them all into a corner then approach from a side until they run (at different speeds) towards the coop you have for them. If they have enough room, the chicks will fall behind and you can catch up to the hens and fence them off before the chicks enter the coop. The latest generation (chicks) should be separated in the main area then. Repeat when each hen "gives birth". You need a fair distance to make this work easily so I build a little "chicken run" of maybe 30 blocks. You can then put coops at either end to make the separating easier each generation.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Silent Shadow said:

The adults run at a faster speed than the chicks so chase them all into a corner then approach from a side until they run (at different speeds) towards the coop you have for them. If they have enough room, the chicks will fall behind and you can catch up to the hens and fence them off before the chicks enter the coop. The latest generation (chicks) should be separated in the main area then. Repeat when each hen "gives birth". You need a fair distance to make this work easily so I build a little "chicken run" of maybe 30 blocks. You can then put coops at either end to make the separating easier each generation.

I will give that a try, thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.