Does Blue Clay Roofing Count As A Room?

Furnox

From my experience in my two year survival game and subsequent testing, it appears as though the blue clay roofing blocks: corner (outer), corner (inner), slanted, ridge, and tip, do not count as a roof for a enclosed room.

I have created a room perfectly topped with the clay roofing blocks, only to freeze to death at night and incur the 125% hunger penalty. However, replacing those blocks with any other block, even a blue shingle block, makes the room warm and drops the hunger down to 100%.

My first clue should have been when, during a snow storm, occasional snow flakes pass through the clay roofing blocks to fall into the room below.

So, is this supposed to be this way? This seems like a bug. I like going for the esthetic and it certainly spoil it if had to replace or reinforce the roofing blocks.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Saricane

I thought maybe you were onto something. I loaded up 1.15.6, but the same issue persists. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

For a test, I built this house with an interior space of 5 x 5 x 2 with the top capped by slanted tile blocks until it peaks. Still freeze and still the 125% hunger penalty for being outside in the cold. I replace the tile blocks and the hunger rate goes back to 100%.

I think this is a bug with slanted tile blocks.

simple_house.png

• 2 weeks later...

For a structure to count as an "enclosed room", there are a number of requirements, one of which is that the interior space must fit entirely inside a 7x7x7 cube. I'm betting your peaked roof is causing the room to be too tall. I had the same problem when I first replaced my flat roof with nice tiles. :)

Either add a ceiling and make an attic space in the roof, or fill in the portion above the 7-block height.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ya. I took a break from Vintage Story hoping the bugs would work themselves out, but I find the same issue exists in v1.15.10. And for the folks wondering about the 7x7x7 rule, the interior space is 5x5x5. Two blocks for the walls and the slanted tile blocks add another 3 blocks of "air".

It could be partially intentional.
Shingles alone do not insulate well against cold and heat (i'd even say do not insulate at all, but that's not quite right either, if it's warm and sunny outside they will make the inside into an oven, if it's cold they'll suck out the heat), they keep what is under them dry but that's about it (hence the snow falling through definitely is a bug).

On the other hand if the same is true for the thatch roofs the missing insulation is a bug too (thatch does insulate well).

Just thought about how the game handles gravity blocks (like snowlayers) it might not be a bug that the snow falls through, snow isn't suppossed to accumulate on the shingles right? the game could need solid surfaces to make out the direction in which the snow falls from the roof. Does it rain through too? If not that must be it.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.