How lovecraftian is the game right now?

Ultric

So I just started this game about a week ago and am still in the process of slogging through what feels like the beginning of the copper age. A thought occurred to me as I was sifting through my 400th block of sand to reach the halfway point on my anvil: What's waiting for me as the game goes on? So far, I've had a temporal storm happen (an event I was looking forward to despite the likelihood of it bringing additional hardships) and, while I really liked the effect it had on the landscape and the world, I was rather disappointed to just see a few new variants of drifter pop up. Truth be told, I had been expecting a bit more fog and glimpses at something bigger in the distance, something to that effect. Alas, it was but my first storm, a "light" one at that, so I figured I should pop on here and see if the more long-term fanbase can provide me with an idea as to what I can look forward to (preferably while being a bit vague if it does get more intense).

At the moment the temporal storms, the more difficult enemies deeper underground, temporal instability (the green gear at the bottom of the screen which goes up or down depending on the "temporal stability" in your area - if it gets too low, you start to get visual effects and more enemies spawning), and the lore you can find in journals are just about it for the "Lovecraftian" side of things. Temporal storms are mostly just a hassle at the moment without any real benefit (and a lot of players disable or sleep through them), but I believe there are plans to add more to that aspect of the game in the future. There are heavier storms, but they just have stronger visual effects and harder enemies. For now the majority of the game is a pretty standard survival sandbox.

13 hours ago, AJ Schryer said:

I was sifting through my 400th block of sand to reach the halfway point on my anvil

Just so you know, when you find a copper nugget on the ground, it means there's at least a little bit of copper ore under the ground, straight down.  The manual mentions it, but it's easy to overlook.

Unless you just like sifting blocks.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Just so you know, when you find a copper nugget on the ground, it means there's at least a little bit of copper ore under the ground, straight down.  The manual mentions it, but it's easy to overlook.

I did not see this mentioned anywhere, you have singlehandedly made this game playable and gotten me out of a crappy dirt hut.

2 hours ago, Ultric said:

I did not see this mentioned anywhere, you have singlehandedly made this game playable and gotten me out of a crappy dirt hut.

I went looking for it, and couldn't find it in any of the guides.  It's on the item page for Copper Nuggets at the very bottom:

"Your first copper nuggets will probably be found lying on the surface as you explore.  When you find these nuggets, mark the location on your map; there is more copper ore in the stone below!"

That line should probably be included in the progression guide for early copper age.  :shrug:

EDIT:  I should mention that I didn't notice it at first, either.  I posted a question on this very forum asking if surface stones indicated deposits in the stone below.

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.