Spawn huts

Screwy

How about reworking the respawn system? Temporal gears should be one time use. After respawning once, you should need to use another gear to reset your Spawn.

And how about using temporal gears on weapons and tools to keep them on the next death? Should count for armor as well. 

Why having a single, unique world spawn? Without a temporal gear respawn point set, you could spawn in a special, new structure. A beginner house or cave or anything, located in a temporal unstable area, so that you can't settle there. Those could be found all over the world and when you die far away from home, you don't have to run all the way back to collect your stuff. In trade for this, you would have to reach your corpse, starting without tools again. 

Corpse by the way should keep your stuff as long as you need to reach them, except for death through fire. Dying in the rust world should Spawn your corpse as temporal unstable, so that you need to be unstable enough again, in order to loot them. 

A dedicated structure for respawning would emersively add to the lore of someone, who wakes up somewhere and can't remember anything. You can even make those houses spawn protected to make them look nice, provide a little amount of loot, force a non pvp area around the house and stuff. Inside the house, the arial temporal stability should be 100% and mob spawning should be impossible in there, as well as player construction of any kind, besides placing items and chest eccess. If you go out, temporal stability should slowly go down in an area of about 100 - 150 blocks in diameter. Would be nice to have an optional pvp protection in that area. I would even set a land claim on the whole temporal instable area around the spawn. 

The hut should come in various designs, from a bit decorated to completely devestated ruins and should mostly contain a firepit, a chest or storage vessel and/or sometimes a small garden with some crops (should be harvest able and replant able). 

Those structures should then be scattered about... Let's say by default 1.000 - 1.500 blocks apart all over the map an your current spawn point is the one closest to your corpse.

All in all, those features should improve the game play significantly, if worked out properly. 

What do you think? Am I on to something?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Screwy said:

How about reworking the respawn system? Temporal gears should be one time use. After respawning once, you should need to use another gear to reset your Spawn.

This feature already exists - you just need to configure it in the custom options at world creation. (Or possibly with an admin command, in existing worlds.)

• Like 1

Not in my game world yet, I'll check this out. Thanks! 

What about the other ideas? A completely reworked system for respawn, starting out in a house where you can't live, wouldn't that bring much more life to the game, than just being tossed into the wilds and are just there for no good reason? 

Makes sense for Minecraft, since not much makes sense there, so you instantly stop asking questions. I think, this is the reason why some mechanics look similar to what Notch did back then. Many things have just made it into Vintage Story, because noone asked the question: "why?"

The earlier we start to recognize that, the more this game is likely to take a turn in its own direction. I see the crappy spawn system as the best example for that. 

Edited by Screwy

12 minutes ago, Screwy said:

What about the other ideas? A completely reworked system for respawn, starting out in a house where you can't live, wouldn't that bring much more life to the game, than just being tossed into the wilds and are just there for no good reason?

You'e not wrong: why are we in the midle of the wilderness, anyway?

In contrast to Minecraft, Vintage Story is meant to have an actual backstory. One that's meant to get fleshed out a lot more in future updates. So, the way I see it, the current state of affairs is merely a stand-in. You spawn in the middle of the wilderness because there's far too much other stuff that Tyron wants and/or needs to implement first.

Eventually, I see things going one of two ways. Either we'll get a backstory explanation why we're spawning in the middle of nowhere (fallen out of a temporal rift, maybe?), or we're going to get a more fleshed out world spawn, similar to (but not exactly like) what you described. But I couldn't tell you which one it's going to be. I'm not even sure Tyron himself has decided at this point.

You say, it's more up to the modmakers to craft this fancy systems, aye? 

Well then... I'll need to learn c# and try my best to keep up with the quality of the base game. Maybe Tyron might just use some pieces of code to integrate it in his vision of a proper spawn system, some day. Using code from modmakers is not that uncommon in games, anyway.

Yes, there is much work to do. That's why I suggest a slightly bigger team to do the stuff. More advertisement to make more money, more money to pay some experts for the hard-core-physics stuff like water mechanics an so. After all, Vintage Story has the potential to be the next big thing in voxel block genre, people need to hear about that. But I mentioned it already. 

34 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Im not even sure Tyron himself has decided at this point.

Who else? I think he is the main factor in priorizing the roadmap, isn't he?

Anyway, not my business.

I'll open a new thread in the modding section, as soon as I start working on it. Till then, any suggestions on improving the idea of spawn huts? Am I totally missing a point or is there a twist to the mechanic, that I don't see right now?

Thanks for feedback 🙂

Edited by Screwy

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Have you read the verbiage during game loading?  Perhaps think about that as to what's going on with spawn mechanics.  😉

I find it quite open to interpretation. Would be interesting to know which connection you draw between the spawn system and the event messages 🤔
For me it's just the world calling for me to fill it with life. But I rather recognized it for what it is, the most beautiful server event protocoll I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, daretmavi said:

Learning something is always good 👍

Yep, I'm on it. Are you a coder, by the way? I could need some help and in the modding section. There is still no answer to my question about pathing a patch.json 😅

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.