🎃 The Great Pumpkin Hunt | HALLOWEEN Event!

Ari

This weekend I'm running a Halloween event and everyone is invited! On a small (1000x1000) server littered with custom-built ruins and loot, but under constant threat of temporal storms and monster attacks, come hunt for (custom-chiseled) pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns. Work alone or team up, but make sure to hide your pumpkins well so they don't get stolen! At the end of the event we'll tally up each player or team's Pumpkin Points and crown a victor. The server will open tomorrow at midnight central European time and run for 49 hours (thanks to the glorious end of daylight savings in Europe this weekend!). More detailed rules will be revealed tomorrow. Spread the word!

thumbnail new.jpg

Edited by Ari
  • Like 4

• Ari changed the title to HALLOWEEN Event! 🎃

🎃 The Great Pumpkin Hunt 🎃

The event will run from midnight central European time today (8 hours from the time of this post) until midnight Sunday (49 hours from the start, owing to the glorious and highly-anticipated end of daylight saving time in Europe this weekend). Players can join at any time and play as much or as little as they would like. Working together in teams is encouraged but not required.

The goal of the event is to find and keep as many pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns as possible. Land claiming is disabled for this event, so be sure to stash your pumpkins somewhere safe and hidden! You may keep them in your inventory while you play, but be careful - you drop your items when you die, and it is possible to fall over the edge of the world and lose everything. At the end of the event, only pumpkins stored in your vault will be counted, so if you haven't deposited them in time, you won't get your points.

The world is dangerous. Seasons are only 3 days long, so winter comes (but then goes again) quickly. Temporal storms will be short, but strike often, so be ready!

The map is full of small builds, some obvious and some well-hidden, created by me and my patrons (mainly Mephansteras and Jar of Jam - kudos to them for all their hard work!). Many valuable resources are to be found in these places. There are also other resources dotted around the map, though you will probably have to do some normal survival gameplay to keep yourself fed and warm in the winter.

More pumpkins will be added to the map periodically over the course of the weekend.

Server Information

Server Address: vshallowsweekend.g.akliz.net:11038
Server Password: spooki
Game Version: 1.15.7

The server will restart periodically over the weekend. If you get suddenly disconnected, wait a minute then try to reconnect. Only report an outage if you are unable to connect for several minutes.

World Size: 1000 x 1000 (Traversable Edge - you can fall off!)
Temporal Storms: Very Often
Temporal Storm Duration: 0.5
Death Punishment: Drop Inventory
Hunger Speed: 75% (slower)
Food Spoilage: 25% (slow)
Block Gravity: Dirt + Sideways Instability
Tool Durability: 1.5x
Tool Speed: 3x
Days Per Month: 1
Spawn Radius: 50
Tree Growth Time: 3 Days

PVP: Enabled, but not to be abused. It is allowed to kill another player to defend your vault or while trying to raid theirs, or to steal their pumpkins if you believe they are carrying some. It is not allowed to kill other players just to harass, grief, or annoy them. Anyone abusing PVP will be removed from the game.

All other settings are default.

There should be no translocators on the map. However, if it turns out we missed one and you find it, please do NOT repair and use it. The world map is not big enough and trying to use one may cause crashes.

Game Rules

Goal: Find as many pumpkins as you can and store them in a hidden vault to be counted at the end of the event. The pumpkins have been chiseled and placed in advance. It is not necessary to obtain the Vintage Story pumpkin crop, though if you manage to grow them and place them in your vault, they will also be counted at one point each.

Vaults: Alone or with a team, it is up to you to choose a location and build a secure vault. Land claiming is not enabled, so you will need to hide it lest other players raid it and steal your pumpkins. Make sure to write down the coordinates of your vault. At the end of the event when the server is closed, you must post the coordinates of your vault in this thread. You will have 24 hours to do so before points are tallied up and the winner declared.

Points: There are three types of pumpkins, each worth a different number of points.

Jack-O-Lanterns: 10 points
These
are carved with faces, some of which glow in the dark. There are three variants of each face, and each jack-o-lantern is unique. These are hidden in special locations.

Tall Pumpkins: 3 points
Larger than your ordinary pumpkin, and rarer as well.

Round Pumpkins: 1 point
The most common variant, these can be found dotted around the landscape and at special locations.

More pumpkins will be added to the map periodically throughout the weekend, so there will be plenty of opportunity to find them even if you can't start at the beginning of the event.

Language: Please keep the language during the event PG. This is a friendly, respectful competition and not the place for antagonism or offensive language. Anyone using racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/ableist or otherwise bigoted language on the server will be banned.

A Note On Recording/Streaming: If you are a YouTuber or streamer, you are welcome to record and/or stream all or part of the event, but please refer your viewers to this thread and credit Ari (SecretFoxfire) with creating and managing the event. I will be recording some of it as well and plan to release a highlights video on my YouTube channel (youtube.com/secretfoxfire) some time after the event ends.

In case of any problems, contact Ari here or on Discord: https://discord.gg/GY6dH4S

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

build7.jpg

pumpkin types.jpg

thumbnail new.jpg

Edited by Ari
  • Like 4

• Ari changed the title to 🎃 The Great Pumpkin Hunt | HALLOWEEN Event!

The event has begun! The server password is: spooki

Please make sure you have read through all the rules before you start playing. Remember, this is a friendly competition! Please be respectful and don't be jerks. Have a good time, and happy pumpkin hunting!

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

hey, probably a stupid question but I tried looking for your server on the multiplayer list and I can't find it. I tried looking for "vshallowsweekend.g.akliz.net:11038" (copy+pasted but also just tried typing it out, and there were no matches after I'd typed 'vsh'). Am I doing something wrong, or is it down right now?

You don't need to find it in a list anywhere, just add a multiplayer server manually. When you open the game and click Multiplayer, you can then click "Add New Server" in the bottom right. The server name can be whatever you want, then Host / IP Address is the address above, then Server Password is spooki. It will then appear in your list and you can just click the button to join. :)

• Like 1

The map has been repopulated with loot! If you didn't get a chance to get on and play yesterday, now's your chance to find some pumpkins and get some points before time runs out. The event ends in a little under twelve hours!

I've also added light sources around the map. It seems a lot of newer players were quitting because they couldn't sort out a light source in time, so now there are loads to just grab to get you started.

Edited by Ari

Less than six hours to go! For those who have been collecting pumpkins, at this point please:

• Make sure you note the coordinates of your stash or vault! You will need to post those after the server closes.
  • Please start placing your pumpkins in the world at your vault location. To be counted, the pumpkins will need to be placed in the world as objects - not kept in chests! Make sure you have enough space!
  • From this point onward, please do not log out with pumpkins in your inventory, to make sure they are in the world when the event ends, either in your vault... or in someone else's if they find your stash. ;)
  • Please make sure your vault is accessible in some way. You can hide it as much as you like, but there should be an entrance which can theoretically be found and opened without breaking blocks. (So you can have an open cave, a hole, or a door or trapdoor, but not fully encase your base in sand or whatever.)

Enjoy the remaining hours of the event!

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

And the event is over! Thank you so much to the people who participated. I (and several of my community members) spent a month getting this ready and it was gratifying to see people hunting for pumpkins. If there is interest, I'd love to manage more events in the future.

Please, everyone give a round of applause to Jar of Jam and Mephansteras, who built most of the structures on the server.

Now that the server is closed, please post the coordinates to your vaults! You can post them here or send them to me on Discord. I will evaluate them tomorrow, tally up the points, and congratulate the winners!

• Like 1
  • Cookie time 1

And the results are in! Our top players are...

In third place, with a respectable score of 144 Pumpkin Points is goaliemagics!

Our runner up, just barely sneaking past the third spot to take the silver medal, with 147 Pumpkin Points it's Jar of Jam!

And our winner, putting in the time all weekend and blowing away the competition, with a whopping 493 Pumpkin Points, it's Tyron himself!

Thank you so much to the people who joined the event, including the ones who weren't able to stay on for long enough to get on the leaderboard. I absolutely would like to host more events in the future, and this map will be tucked away and adjusted and added to for future stuff. I've learned some lessons this time around. I thought to make it "spooky" for Halloween I should increase the number of temporal storms (and therefore monsters), but in practice I think this wound up driving a lot of more casual players away. On top of that, while I provided some resources like food, armor, and tools, I didn't provide everything needed to survive. In particular, a lot of players gave up quickly because they didn't have easy access to permanent light sources and the dark nights were just time spent sitting in a safe spot in the blackness waiting for the sun. Next time around, some things will need to be rebalanced, and I should make sure there's always a safe place near spawn at the very least.

We also didn't get very many players. A handful of folks did come on for a bit, but didn't make much progress, then seemed to have given up. Next time it might help to promote an event further in advance, and make sure more people are able to join in. This map was balanced with the assumption that there would be at least a handful of people competing against each other, but in practice there was usually only one person on at a time. Lots to tweak there.

Finally, I have some requests of the devs for the future. I know it might be a while before I can get my wishes granted, but it would help tremendously with creating this kind of map and event if we could have:

• A way to write more in the game. Books or parchment or something. It could even be creative-only, at least to start - maybe a way to make books like the lore journals you can currently find in ruins sometimes. If I'm trying to leave clues or tell a story, I need a way to communicate with the players, and signs and chalk drawings are too clunky and imprecise.
  • Some type of spectation mode so I can monitor the map invisibly and see chat without having the UI up. I recorded a bit of footage of this event but in all of it I either had to close chat, or you could see my hotbar and such. And the players could obviously see me spying on them. :P 
  • A way to save our default world edit settings! Every time I log into the game and jump into flight mode I have to manually close the minimap, open the world edit menu, and use the drop-down menu at the top right to lock the Y axis. (I also found that when I changed my move speed to get around the map quickly, it would randomly revert to speed 1 after a short period of time, but I assume this is a bug and will report it on the issue tracker.)

If anyone has any feedback, please feel free to leave it here! What would have encouraged you to play more? What parts did you like and dislike? Do you have ideas or requests for future events?

Thanks for playing!

Edited by Ari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ari said:

Some type of spectation mode

/gamemode spectator

3 hours ago, Ari said:

If anyone has any feedback, please feel free to leave it here! What would have encouraged you to play more? What parts did you like and dislike? Do you have ideas or requests for future events?

My suggestions:
- Announce it 2-3 weeks before the start of the event
- Let tyron know early enough, I can donate a game key for the winner 😉
- Perhaps you place the loot as players join or so. When I joined nobody was online and I basically looted all the goodies in solo. Felt super unfair towards other players, lol.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyron said:

/gamemode spectator

😵 I didn't even think to try. I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere and assumed it wasn't in the game.😅 Will make a note of that for the future!

And thanks for the suggestions. As for the loot, it was already pretty labor-intensive to place since I was doing it all manually by myself, and I thought there would be multiple people online competing together, so I had set it up with that in mind. When I realized there weren't many people and they were mostly on one at a time, I did log in multiple times to place more loot, but that took a lot more time and effort and still wound up not really tilting the balance since in the end, of course, the player who was on the most wound up finding the most stuff. 😆 But yeah, next time around I'll try to get a sense in advance for how many players will be on and how many at the same time so I can balance around that.

• Cookie time 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.