Too many wolves

gibbelblonk

Wolves have a spawnpoint. They'll respawn around that point forever. It sounds like you based near one of those spawn points.

You can abuse this mechanic to get infinite animal products, but more or less it's just a frustration that needs to be patched out.

For now you can work around it by trapping the wolves instead of killing them outright. They won't bother you ever again.

Edited by Omega Haxors

5 hours ago, Rhyagelle said:

Instead of patching it out, they could develop an item that will control the spawn point. It could function sort of like how the candles do for monsters in Minecraft, or make it so if you build within x distance of a spawn, it destroys the infinite spawn. 

Something of the sort already exists in the base game mechanic. Kind of...
Wolves won't spawn on blocks that have a light level of.. what was it.. 15 I think? Essentially anywhere you place a lantern, in a small radius around it, it becomes wolf-proof.

1 hour ago, Windego said:

Something of the sort already exists in the base game mechanic. Kind of...
Wolves won't spawn on blocks that have a light level of.. what was it.. 15 I think? Essentially anywhere you place a lantern, in a small radius around it, it becomes wolf-proof.

That would require an insane amount of materials and ruining the aesthetic of your area, though. I was thinking more along the lines of a singular item or as soon as you claim land or something, the spawn just eradicates. 

I'm assuming at some point they will address this. I'd think that player activity in the area (player presence, building, etc) should  interfere with wolf spawning, but it does not at this time.

On our last server world we had wolves spawning right near our spawn location.  A server member accidentally happened to build their house right where the wolf spawn point was. They had wolves spawning inside their main living room regularly. It was sort of comical, and I'm sure not intended.  We left it there and let them run around inside and had some fun with it.

Unfortunately the only solution(s) I can think of at the moment is either figure out about where they are spawning at and fence the area in and/or put up lights there, fence/wall in your village with fenced in areas around homes as well, move your server spawn location to a new area, or just be prepared to deal with them via traps or hunting/killing them whenever you log in.

Those are the only ways we have found for dealing with wolves spawning in an area that players have settled in.

~TH~

I do admit.. It would be nice to have -something- tat completely disables their spawns once you've established a well running base with fences and everything. Even in real life wolves tend to avoid human civilization by default because of all the sounds and smells and, well, humans, pointy sticks and what not.
The land claiming system does sound like a good base for making an anti-wolf area as it would go well with the mentioned above.

Like @Thaliusmentioned, there are a number of ways to actually deal with them, and while you naturally always light up your base not only for wolves and drifters and what not, but also so you can see while doing things in the dead of night. But having to fight wolves inside a building with closed doors is a bit... Off.
Furthermore, trapping them is currently the best solution I've personally used, and have seen and heard other players use on the one sever I ever played on. This way it disables further spawns as you've reached their spawn cap. The downside is that you have to constantly hear growling and howling. And at some point, you could even start feeling sorry for them because we can't domesticate wolves either.
Maybe the item that would prevent certain mob spawns could act like a lantern. With a set radius. And it could also be something so small as a oil lamp. Barely visible unless you know where to look.
And if any of this never reaches the final version of the game... At the very least I can hope a skilled modder might pick up the idea to help with the wolves problem.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.