roast veggies

Kolyenka

tbh i'd wish there would be slightly more interaction for cooking, theoretically you can roast about anything (and roasted grain is a known substitute for coffee) roasted apples are good too, even heated berries do have some charm.

But it's easy to get things overdone, which is why one would need to take it away from the fire. cooked foods are easier to digest, therefore nutrition values should be higher than for raw foods, heating something through kills germs (and some toxins) but theoretically you should be able to eat about anything edible raw too.

I'd suggest different stages of food: raw, heated, cooked/roasted, overdone, burnt, lost

some might miss stages depending on how you cook them, some might have different nutrition peaks depending on it, some might give buffs and/or poison you depending on it...

Of course that would mean overhauling the yields and raising the satiety given per food item as else people would see having to cook and not being able to roast a stack of meat at once as a tedious chore.

for example meat could have a satiety peak on heated (as it tastes best right before being done), a nutrition peak on cooked/roasted (as it's easiest digested at that point), but anything under cooked has the chance of inflicting some debuff (ingreased hunger rate caused by a parasite for example, of course a seraphs immune system could be strong enough to make that only a minor inconvenience for a few ingame hours), bushmeat would have a higher chance of that debuff but else there isn't much difference, poultry might even be more dangerous (thanks to salmonella) undercooked and would have both peaks at cooked, but usually is more forgiving for getting cooked too long...

EDIT: Another thing that would need to change then would be cooking and burn duration of fuels being measured in time irl not ingame time. Which in turn would make it necessary to think about smelting...

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Oh yeah, let's add in the ability to REALLY burn your food. Sounds fun.

Depending on how it's implemented yes it could be fun. atm it's kinda fire and forget until a few hours later you come back to it to eat, but atm you need 5 portions of cooked meat to fill your belly, that's a massive amount of flesh, even if you think of each portion being "only" about 1/3 of a hare (and as it's about 1/20 of a pig too if you think about that it gets ridiculous)...

I wouldn't even say implement having to control temperature, i think it would suffice to have a benefit for keeping an eye on it and being slightly punished for letting your steak roast over the fire for several ingame hours... If maybe 1-2 perfectly timed portions of meat sate you fully (and they would! after all we are speaking about 1-7.5kg per portion here), I don't think people would mind.

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

Let's have burnt offering as the final stage

tbh i didn't mean burnt = charcoal and depending on how badly you burnt it some may be salvagable, but sacrifice instead of lost sounds more awesome... i think if that gets added i need to build some altars... hm... lovecraftian horror, sacrifice, maybe food sacrifices could even have some ingame benefit too? maybe changing the weather in the region, or be an alternative to skip/end a temporal storm, or call one?

3 hours ago, Hal13 said:

Depending on how it's implemented yes it could be fun. atm it's kinda fire and forget until a few hours later you come back to it to eat, but atm you need 5 portions of cooked meat to fill your belly, that's a massive amount of flesh, even if you think of each portion being "only" about 1/3 of a hare (and as it's about 1/20 of a pig too if you think about that it gets ridiculous)...

I wouldn't even say implement having to control temperature, i think it would suffice to have a benefit for keeping an eye on it and being slightly punished for letting your steak roast over the fire for several ingame hours... If maybe 1-2 perfectly timed portions of meat sate you fully (and they would! after all we are speaking about 1-7.5kg per portion here), I don't think people would mind.

I actually wouldn't mind hunger going down quicker if food gave more saturation, especially if that would make cooking a little more... skill-based? That doesn't sounds totally accurate, but that's the best I've got right now. The starvation mechanics could use some tweaking anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I actually wouldn't mind hunger going down quicker if food gave more saturation, especially if that would make cooking a little more... skill-based? That doesn't sounds totally accurate, but that's the best I've got right now. The starvation mechanics could use some tweaking anyway.

I would love a rush to actually get proper food. Could make winter a big threat where crops can't grow and you have to make-do with hunting/fishing and your reserves. Makes it more impactful than "Oh, I'm hungry - 50 berries ought to do it!" to "What shall I eat today...", especially since there's the dietary needs the player has to fulfill. 

Even just by making a simple skewer to roast a bit of meat and vegetables on could be a simple thing that fills more than if you had the plain ingredients. 

• Like 3

I also wouldn't mind some more complexity in the hunger and cooking mechanics. @goaliemagics and I have been playing on a server with hunger rates turned up to (iirc) 200%, and that along with playing in a cold environment has helped make food a more important part of the game, but it's also made playing a class with an even more increased hunger rate close to impossible. We're planning on adding the Fields of Gold mod with the next in-game spring, but it'd be nice to have some refining of the existing mechanics in the base game.

Edited by allstreets
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.