Mechanics of road creation

Han_Salo

So… How to redo the mechanics of road construction as in Rome.

Spoiler

340px-RomaViaAppiaAntica03_retouched.jpg

Roads were designed for long-term use: first a ditch about 45-60 cm deep was dug, which was filled with layers of earth, stone and sand. All the layers were very well compacted, then covered with thick polygonal dies of basalt or limestone, which were perfectly connected; ditches on the outer edges of the roads were filled with small stones. These deep stone beds were necessary to keep the roads clean and relatively dry during the rains. The width of the roads was about 4-6 m, which allowed to miss two vehicles, sometimes on the sides of the roads completed sidewalks. Legions often moved on such roads.
- Wikipedia

-= Step 1 =============
Remove some dirt from block by shovel with shift+right click
Optional layer by layer

image.png.990eda60b74c699b7201783fb1f2790f.png

-=Step 2 ==============

Add layer of road filler (gravel mixed with sand and dirt) and to ram (give me your ideas)

image.png.28d51eb5ad491b227d56dd0c89624578.png

-= Step 3 ===============

Add stones (thick polygonal dies of basalt or limestone)

image.png.d763e677ca31030dcd5f5c9bddd04062.png

-= Step 4 =============

Fill space between stones with road filler

image.png.a20febf0bd2c1e0d6b0b626b18aee1d3.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, setne550 said:

Too complex. While I admit that the one in game requires some sort of effort, I find it to be far effective in long run (also I like to use those same roads as pathfinding so I don't have to charge into random directions when I had to go somewhere)

Yes, it may be difficult, but it will be effective. Difficulty will be compensated by walking speed. TyronX noted in Roadmap that it would like to change the classic 3x3 craft grid to something more interesting. In my opinion, this is it

Moreover, this way of creating roads is much more interesting than just crafting

Edited by Vladyslav Dudas

Ugh.  Laying down a few hundred (or couple thousand) block distance is laborious enough as it is.  I can't imagine taking time to make a pit kiln equivalent every block of the way!

There are points of realism that MUST be discarded to make the game FUN!  I think VS is doing a fantastic job of balancing realistic requirements with avoiding others.  Your idea is great, but should best be handled by a mod for those that would enjoy such labors of love.

• Thanks 1

How lucky for you! I'm actually working on this in an update for More Roads. Already got wet concrete, so hopefully I can get it to harden into a road eventually. I would also like to get rid of the crafting grid whenever possible. My idea was only 3 steps long though - road filler is a bit too far for me.

Edited by l33tmaan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Vladyslav Dudas said:

Yes, it may be difficult, but it will be effective. Difficulty will be compensated by walking speed. TyronX noted in Roadmap that it would like to change the classic 3x3 craft grid to something more interesting. In my opinion, this is it

Moreover, this way of creating roads is much more interesting than just crafting

Yeah, honestly I do kinda like the "shovel and make a simple road" setup then later on improving it into a much complex road. After all, people use dirt paths until it gets improved into similar roads.

Surely if such update happen in the future, I hope it didn't rekt my previous progress where I made all of those roads

• Like 2

9 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

How lucky for you! I'm actually working on this in an update for More Roads. Already got wet concrete, so hopefully I can get it to harden into a road eventually. I would also like to get rid of the crafting grid whenever possible. My idea was only 3 steps long though - road filler is a bit too far for me.

This is great! I wish you good luck with mod creating 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Ugh.  Laying down a few hundred (or couple thousand) block distance is laborious enough as it is.  I can't imagine taking time to make a pit kiln equivalent every block of the way!

There are points of realism that MUST be discarded to make the game FUN!  I think VS is doing a fantastic job of balancing realistic requirements with avoiding others.  Your idea is great, but should best be handled by a mod for those that would enjoy such labors of love.

You're right, VS is making great strides in maintaining atmosphere and balance. And the game story is just wonderful. I'm working on translating the game into Crowdin and translating these stories I was surprised

On 1/4/2022 at 12:52 AM, Vladyslav Dudas said:

and to ram (give me your ideas)

Shovel to ram, or a new use for pulveriser caps create a ram hammer (looks like a helve hammer with a flat head).
I love the in hand helve hammer.
Easy way to make this a bit less tedious as other have suggested would be to make the recipes/speed bonuses worth it.
Also combining some of the steps (removing) would be fine to reduce tediousness.
I think as for super long distance roads for vehicles (mounts?) this would be ideal to prevent or reduce wheel(shoe) damage etc.

Edited by Smile
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.