Hoeing wild crops

Steel General

This seems exceedingly overpowered, and I'm not sure it's a deliberate feature.  Is it?

If you hoe the soil block a wild crop sits on, it will mature through all stages in roughly one game day.  This makes it vulnerable to rabbits, but the crop is easily protected by rough-hewn fence, the rabbit swarm is a good source of meat, and even if they eat the crops, a dead mature crop still drops its produce.

This lets me skip early storage - I can consistently have three linen sacks by day three.  Most recently, I skipped the hand-baskets, using a tool rack and a firepit as my only storage for the first two days.

Edited by Steel General

I'd agree. I suspect it's a glitch, and might be a bit OP.

On the other hand, I've been trying out a number of things, like finding out that if the terrain is not completely awful, it's entirely reasonable to traverse more than 6000 blocks on day 1, and having covered that much distance collecting as many berries as I need to eat, plus copper, flax and turnips, ended up with a day 1 linen sack by just after 2 in the afternoon, and within 2 fiber of having a second by the time I stopped for the night. I have not started day 2 yet, but I think it's entirely plausible I could end up with linen all around by nightfall. And I'm not quite ready to say sprinting is OP.

I had been wildly overestimating the need of an early base camp and pottery. And, really, the early-game growing crops at all. The time spent collecting hand baskets turns out not to be time well spent, unless you place a high value on early settling.

Now, that was sprinting more or less the whole way, eating on the run, and stopping only when it got too late to see where I could go without running into box canyons or dense forests. Which is not too interesting of a way to play the game, but I suppose neither is hoeing wild crops.

• Mind=blown 1

I believe that tilling wild crops is OP if one takes the settle early path, especially if one protects the newly tilled crop.  Given the speed with which the wild crop matures, I would expect this is unintentional game behavior and a bug.  I would expect that tilling wild crops should either harvest/destroy the crop or cause it to continue maturing at a rate similar to if it had been planted on tilled soil.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

I believe that tilling wild crops is OP if one takes the settle early path, especially if one protects the newly tilled crop.  Given the speed with which the wild crop matures, I would expect this is unintentional game behavior and a bug.  I would expect that tilling wild crops should either harvest/destroy the crop or cause it to continue maturing at a rate similar to if it had been planted on tilled soil.

It should definitely harvest or destroy the crop since tilling soil would pull out or bury any plants currently there.

It seems reasonable that before the invention of farming, plants would have been cared for where they grew naturally.  It further makes sense that this should be an option for a Seraph who is not yet ready to make a farm.  I'm not sure that one-day maturation is a desired (or even intended) outcome, nor that hoeing is the desired mechanic by which to pursue such a strategy.  Maybe fencing and watering/fertilizing would be more appropriate to speed along the maturation of a wild patch.  Hoeing does ensure that a seed drops, and it might be reasonable to retain that option.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.