Creative mode to be a "dream world" feature in survival mode

heptagonrus

Currently I have a deadlock with my build on a server. I need to expand the building, e.g. to add a kitchen, but it progresses slowly and with lot of frustrations, my design skills are terrible.

I could try things in creative first, but I can't import the layout of my existing base and its surroundings to a singleplayer world.

Also, despite that being a standard practice, I always hated switching to a separate creative world to design things for survival, because you have to do things kinda twice and it breakes immersion.

Could a feature be introduced into the game to allow "mind experiments" for planning and designing buildings and terraforming?

E.g. player can sit on some block setup or some station of sort. Or dream while sleeping. Or consume a potion.
And be transported into a "dream" world, which is a copy of his, and the player can switch to a creative mode there.

After trying and building all things there, player returns to the ordinary world, and can enable to see blocks from the dream world, appearing as ghost blocks.

The problem is to prevent cheating, e.g. ore prospecting and ruins search.  Idk how. Maybe travel distance limit can be an answer. The dream world is a bubble with radius of ... 100 blocks?
 I guess it will be generated very quickly.
And even if you go into the dream world when exploring the land, you can't explore significant part of cave system or surface. But for a building design it would be more than enough.

Or maybe dream exploration can be a thing and quite expensive for early game. Like: we pay for finding ore/ruins with time and metal for tools. Why not pay with less time but different resources for potions instead of metal tools.

12 hours ago, Stroam said:

I don't know about a dream world but a build planning mode that allows you to place down block outlines would be neat.

I think that is the gist of what he is suggesting.  Having other people able to see it would be helpful, as would the addition of things like measuring tools.  Neither would fit in very well with the dream idea, but the dream idea does sound like it would add some fun flavor to it.  I think it could be accounted for in-game in a more "realistic" way with tools and blueprints though.  As for the inevitable "ghost blocks" we already have similar things without it breaking immersion or believability.

On 10/29/2018 at 8:08 AM, heptagonrus said:

The problem is to prevent cheating, e.g. ore prospecting and ruins search.  Idk how. Maybe travel distance limit can be an answer. The dream world is a bubble with radius of ... 100 blocks?

Ore prospecting in creative is already possible if you know the seed.  I don't know if players in multiplayer can view the seed though.  If you could break blocks like in creative it could be used to "dig" underground to check for ores where you suspected one to be.  Say you found a decent density of sphalerite, you could enter the dream world and dig freely and cheaply to see if it actually there before using a pickaxe.  Perhaps having all ore blocks appear as regular stone, of whatever kind they appear in, could be a solution.

Either way, I agree that it sounds like a mod thing.  Not a bad idea though; I'd download it.

Archived