What did you do in Vintage Story today?

noname hero

2 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

i got like 900+hours in VS have never seen any animal drown.

It's become one of my tactics when chased by bears, especially brown bears, to head for deep water.  I think the only thing I do faster than a brown bear is swim.  And I have seen a black bear drown after it followed me into a lake.

• Like 1

I watched a bear drown itself in the dumbest way possible yesterday. Kept swimming toward shore and then when it would get close enough to be in one block water depth, turn around and head back out to deeper water so it could keep drowning. Took two irl minutes for it to die and it kept making the stupidest, most harmful choices. Didn't need to draw my bow at all.

• Haha 2

well, i went back, updated some mods, currently i got 3 Single player worlds ( two were more test than anything) , though i like the semi-tropical one with the glass house the best ... so going to re-instate a few mods on that one. 
Doing so, i will kinda need more :kitchen room, so i might convert the glass portion to the bedroom/treasures storage are, expand the original structure to basically a kitchen. 
Only bad part is, the modded things will not show up in areas i've already explored.

On 12/23/2022 at 11:09 AM, Anthony frailey said:

and... game messed up , huge chunks of the world dissapeared, white blocks for trees.  I have to start over

Awesome news! You now get to start a new game, go through all the fun bits again, and this time build your home to your new specifications! I hope that's what I get for Christmas, too.

• Haha 1

I don't know if you can see them, but I have a whole lepidopteran going on. I like to make my barns out of industrial glass, mostly because I love animals and like watching them eat. Before Vintage Story, I came from a game where animals just staggered around like they were stoned; very unsatisfying to watch. Anyway, I went out right before lunch to feed my capercaillies, and there were like a metric crap-ton of butterflies, like in The Magicians, when Martin Chatwin shows up for the first time. They're a little hard to see, but this made my day. I wonder if the capercaillies will eat them? I'll have to keep an eye out for that. 

2022-12-29_23-07-33.thumb.png.54aabfe791a54b1cc23a22968c0da6ab.png

• Like 1

its amazing what a lil' bit of glass will do ... homestead improvements little by little.  
today focused on forging bronze tools, and spears, getting apiary finished ( well full populated, ceramic and wood beehives going in as I get to it. ) 
Captured chickens, penned them up. Accidentally got pigs, and fenced around them not far from house, but far enough it'll be a pain migrating them to the homestead.) 
Got my cellar area started too. 

2022-12-29_23-24-22.png

2022-12-29_23-24-59.png

2022-12-29_23-27-43.png

• Like 2

there's been lot of first on this playthrough for me.  
My first wolf pup tamed, the dog grew up, turned out to be female. Renamed her to Ebony. 
I found the echo chamber. A first ever for me , I hadn't ever even seen one at a trader before. 

I discovered two veins of marble on this play through. The pink/white marble seen as my columns and support of the earth-sheltered house, but also found green marble last night while digging for tin. 

Edit- forgot to mention, spent about an in game week, fencing and corralling off the distantly trapped Pigs closer to the home.  I didn't screen shot it's end result, as it's nothing fancy just a double pen area, one designed for me to run new gen piglets into to separate from original pigs to cull later on. but took up the bulk of my play time for most the real life day. 

2023-01-01_20-52-40.png

Edited by Anthony frailey
  • Like 1

Well! After about 40 hours on my first world, I've survived winter, made leather, have iron tools and am currently planting a long overdue crop of flax so I can finally make a lot of the related stuff. The hunt for borax was honestly awesome, the joy of falling into a cave and seeing some after a multi day trek was very powerful.

Somewhat running out of goals. Things are slowing down and are very stable. Need this flax crop to grow in before I can really do any kind of automation, which will just take a while.

Want to try add some mods and chuck myself into wilderness survival. Might try to figure out steel / bees first on my stable save.

• Like 1

yeah, for the work put into it, steel is only minorly "better" than iron or meteoric iron. ( As in i personally, do not think its worth doing currently.) it Is "better" in damage and durability, but its so micro of a difference, plus the aggravation of processing and brick making, not worth it in my eyes. Also for the extra aggravation of having to find borax, its also -almost- not worth it to attain the iron anvil.  
For me borax is hit and miss, seems like i either spawn close to area with it, or its a year long search across the generated world to find. ( my current play through, I've found 20 pockets of meteoric Iron impacts, but no borax at all yet. I've not even found any regular iron as of yet. ) .. but meteoric iron makes decent looking tools and gear if ever worked. 

bees are generally very easy, once you discover a wild nest. 
Its one of those parts, I usually get to very early on, but I been lucky heard bees from beginning on most my generated worlds.  cattails, or papyrus, and clay make a skep, take bunch of flowers surround the wild hive, leave the skep there for few days to populate. The hardest part is remember that skep takes a back-pack slot ( cntr-scroll over ) to access and set down. 
I usually set up my apiary while waiting on this, fenced off area ( in case of trash pandas that do eat the honey ) , lots of flowers and make at least two empty skeps, once the one you have is populated, set it in the area with the empty ones.  Have enough flowers in the 7x7x3 area it detects, you'll have three populated skeps ( at least) in no time. From those 3 I grow more populated skeps ( anywhere from 6-8 more ) , up until I had From Golden Combs mod ( now I make ceramic and wood re-use beehives that are fantastic ) after setting up the regular hives , but small coopers reed farm and bit of extra clay, I just harvest once a week in game, and replace skeps, always leaving the original one i placed to re-populate.  I've NEVER ran out of honey or wax, and i never use fat to seal crocks for winter storage.  

2022-12-29_23-24-59.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

bees are generally very easy, once you discover a wild nest. 

My own experience tells that 4*4=16skeps setup is more than enough for a single player world.

Harvest requires 3 stacks of cattails ready for skeps crafting (3*4=12 skeps + the cattails from the broken skeps).

Total harvest of 14 out of 16 skeps - 2 skeps in the inner square are left for re-population.

Once you place it 3 blocks apart - the inner square' skeps detect ~205-210 flowers which allows harvest at least 3 times a year (standard month duration). Usually even more.

Which in its turn gives 3 harvests of 14 skeps = 3*14*3 waxes = 126 waxes each year.

And at least 25L of honey. And this is definitely enough for winter' fruit consumption - until the fruit trees are mature.

• Like 3

yeah, i never did the math, just knew what I had need for. 
I think i do get more harvest cause i run on the 30 days a month setting with fewer hives. 
I also dry fruits, as to mot have to make jam as much too. Pies I do make a lot in winter. ( mods)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BenLi said:

My own experience tells that 4*4=16skeps setup is more than enough for a single player world.

3x5 for me. That means when I go to harvest, I collect the X, leave the L. They are also on higher platforms  to make it harder to mess up. Not that it would be a huge problem anyway, I always leave a couple empty skeps at the wild bee hive just in case fire or meteors ruin my day.

XXXXX

XLXLX

XXXXX

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.