What did you do in Vintage Story today?

noname hero

This topic is not my idea, I'm just a long-time player of one non-blocky game and I've always loved such a topic on its forum. The posts don't have to be epic builds, they might show just a fraction of what it took to take that one screenshot in a hard-to-reach place, or a dinky car for joyrides, while some would be engineering marvels with 1000+ parts that could land a hundred passengers on a moon of a gas giant. So I'm not posting this into Builds. It isn't about just bragging either, even though that's sometimes a part of it. The main reason is to provide inspiration to other players, to help them come up with ideas for what they might wish to try in their own games.

So what did I do today? Made it to a first anniversary with a seed I've spent the most time with, in a world I've spawned into with one goal in mind - to settle down in a limestone area so I could build a plaster house. Is the place finished? No. Optimised? No. Am I still in iron age? Yes. Did it take way more charcoal than I imagined? Yes. But the base works, there's a quern and a helve hammer down under that windmill, I've already grown crops in some of those greenhouses and the trees in my backyard are all player-planted, so I usually don't have to fight off wolves on my doorstep.

2022-07-07-21-12-20.png

2022-07-07-21-11-35.png

So what did you do in Vintage story today that you wish to share?

• Like 8

Well my friend just introduced me to Vintage Story this week and we started our own little private server. Today I cheered him on as he built the barn to go alongside our house he built the day before. I moved my smithing station from our old mud hut to the new workshop. 
2022-07-10_05-59-08.png

It's all still basic and foundational; we have yet to discover how to obtain 'the mighty chisel' (please no spoilers).. still, there is a certain charm to the start of this kitchen.
2022-07-10_05-59-27.png?width=1245&heigh

I watched my wolf pup, Faol, grow up.
2022-07-10_05-59-44.png

2022-07-10_05-59-57.png?width=1245&heigh

The start of our humble farm. It's a mess! Be nice. We're still getting the hang of this world!

2022-07-10_06-00-52.png

Those are some lovely pictures, @noname hero. It's made me consider amping up the sepia tones.

• Like 5

Looks pretty good if you're still in copper age plus still lacking the almighty chisel :) Just be warned that the house looks quite... flamable. I lost half my first "real" VS house to fire when I got careless with a torch for like three seconds, only to discover that firefighting in VS is something really different from what I knew from another blocky game. Oh, and that ex-puppy can't be tamed ATM, I think, so I wouldn't be entering that enclosure for now.

My own efforts today weren't really those of a builder, I've repaired my first translocator (well the second one I've found, but the one close to my house, therefore the first to get repaired) and then made it back home on foot after going through. Managed to locate several traders, including types I didn't have mapped before, and bought my first tapestry piece. The Ambush seemed like a good choice, given how often wolves try to chew on me.

2022-07-10-19-48-36.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noname hero said:

Looks pretty good if you're still in copper age plus still lacking the almighty chisel :) Just be warned that the house looks quite... flamable. I lost half my first "real" VS house to fire when I got careless with a torch for like three seconds, only to discover that firefighting in VS is something really different from what I knew from another blocky game. Oh, and that ex-puppy can't be tamed ATM, I think, so I wouldn't be entering that enclosure for now.

That little corner looks so quaint! I love! .. So far, we've had no fire issues.....so far. 🤞

The server has a mod that allows the taming of wolfs: https://mods.vintagestory.at/wolftaming

Edited by Lostar

• 1 month later...

Not much, but I finally made my pots and bowls and made some tasty stew. I ate it while eating some stew in real life.

Made a lot of charcoal and I am planning on setting up my anvil and such. I have always been very scared about going underground, but I think I am ready.

Reworked all aged wood to planks, and then to crates for trading.

Finally bought Forlorn armor pants from my only Lux trader (out of some 25 found), after 4 cycles of trade renew.

Fixed the armor making full Forlorn set.

Upgraded to 17.2. Had some issue with ?-ed shield, made a new one. Was pleased to find out that the nearby ponds all have fish.

Then gone through all the 6 nearby caves to look for xlocators. So far found 3 ruins, zero translocators. C'mon, middle of the second year - and I haven't entered the caves yet due to lacking normal armor.

Next goals:

Find bauxite in a reasonable range (3k blocks around incl to-from xlocator), so I can proceed to steel. I also like the polished bauxite...

Spend my 130 gears on flax and make normal 8 windmills power with 5x multiplier instead of current 2 windmills without multiplier. If needed - to trade more tin and bismuth bronze tools as I have some stock. BTW - the smithing trips are great: you leave the home with forge/hammer/coal/16 ingots of each, and make the needed tools right next to the trader.

Not sure whether I need to find halite as I buy it from the traders, but this would be nice.

Find slate and make slated roofing instead of grass.

In short - spend another 100 hours in the world 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

sooo

Another 100 hours in the game.

Second summer of this world has been ended with plenty of crops harvested incl. fruits from the trees.

Finally brought longhorns (1M + 4F) to start the cheese making.

Chickens are at the gen4. Great source of food - all those worthless flax grains converted to quite a good protein food.

Made x5 windmill mainly from linen bought from the traders. Have 120 linens to try x25.

Found bauxite 2k block away. Made steel.

Prepared Tier 3 refractory bricks to upgrade the steel furnace.

Looked into ~15 caves in 1k area around. 1 xlocator only. Have 6 repair kits ready though.

Next goals:

Upgrade the steel furnace to Tier 3.

Halite - have some good areas to look for it. E.g. 18%% reading in some chunk.

Xlocators, especially to the deep south.

Still want slate - for roofing.

Build better house.

Start juice and alcohol stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Got snuck on by a bear while prospecting in a small cave. Got murdered, respawned, returned with armour, beat the bear to death with a stick, then maddened by murderous rage, eradicated all the wolf population around my base in a wide area with utter genocidal lunacy, then returned home mere moments before freezing to death in the middle of winter.

Its more or less a typical day in vintage story for me. I go about my business, get murdered, respawn, go berserk and kill everything that moves and then in most cases die again from being crazed with anger and failing to notice that I'm about to succumb to some game mechanic like hunger or cold.

Ah, good days!

Edited by BigBadBeef
  • Haha 3

Mined 65-70 stacks of fire clay then traipsed 3,000 blocks to a translocator that takes me 8,000 more blocks south and mined out 3 black coal deposits (a total of 45ish stacks).  Murderized a bunch of drifters in the process.  Also doubled the size of my charcoal pit.  The previous pit was barely able to keep up with my 2 cementation furnaces.

• Cookie time 1

Its no secret that I've developed a bit of a brutish tendency when slighted by the local fauna. But this time I've bitten off more than I can chew and finally got EXACTLY what I deserved. My own killing spree got turned against me as i got seriously butthurt in a mad dash to recover my precious equipment, therefore aptly named the place where the... "involuntary adult activity" took place.

DISCLAIMER - Contains mature language!

Spoiler

803961272_EvilCave.thumb.png.a216dbd284623b327900c6eae80515f4.png

Started a new Single-player run.

Moved 3-4 days south from spawn across gravel hills and forests.  Have opted to settle near a nice looking mountain range (see below).  Nice mix of local stone layers (andesite, slate, limestone.)

House of Cubes and early farms are up.  Enough tin ore turned up from a loot vessel and a single surface deposit to garner a tin-bronze anvil.  Let there be saws!

Lots to do still.  Need to find a coal source or else start mass cutting of trees.  A number of materials still to find like Lead, Bauxite, Borax, etc.  Do have some leads on Iron Ore and Halite however to follow up on.  Plus some cave exploration once some better armor and weapons can be produced.

2022-10-31_19-54-59.png

• Like 2

Welcome, @Owktree!

Nice start! Early June, and almost set for iron. Which you have a lead on. Borax is usually my stumbling block, too.

House of Cubes. I like that.

Me? Nothing much to take pictures of. Another 4-day run. By dusk of first night, had 1 linen sack and enough excess reeds to make 2 baskets. Gathered a stack of peat along the way and built my House of Cubes on top of a clay deposit. By dawn, had the essentials firing. (Cooking pot, bowl, crock, crucible, 2 storage vessels.) Day 2 was getting small charcoal pit (3x3x2) going and planting and fencing in first days seeds (~30), do some exploring. Night 2 was a little boring -- 2 bowls, 2 cooking pots, hammer, pick and anvil molds firing, 4 more storage vessels made, but not firing. That was all I had room for in my little House of Cubes, and with all the drifters prowling about outside, there was no way I could start any more outside. I could have I suppose. Run away to draw them off or despawn them, but dawn wasn't far off by then anyway. Day 3 was spent at lumber camp, filling fairly large (5x5x4, more or less) charcoal pit, and finally getting enough fibers for the second sack. Day 4 was gather charcoal, plant whatever seeds I had (~40) and mine out a couple decent copper deposits. Still no leads on tin. Sigh.

Fall in progress and moving into winter.  Second set of crops should make it to harvest before a freeze.  Half a dozen pigs secure in a barn (fully roofed since the picture below).  Plenty of copper on-hand, a bit of lead for windows, and still enough tin for a few more bronze tools.  Making leather since I found a surface borax deposit and mined a few stacks of it.  Currently equipped with a tailored gambeson (a live saver, see below) and a longbow along with a black bronze falx.

Main concern right now is bears.  And more bears.  

Area to my southwest is rife with them.  I've killed four (along with most of two wolf packs) in that area.  And there are at least two more bears there.  Prospecting trips to the south looking for iron and halite have been cut short due to being mauled and chased by brown bears repeated.  Current emphasis is on beefing up fences and other defenses.

Looking south at SP2 base.png

• Like 1

Continued progress as winter sets in.  Building 2 has most of a roof except for the added tower.  I do like the look of mixing Andesite block or cobble with Limestone brick and the Slate Roof.  Birch seems to be a good wood to do accents in due to the lighter color.  Lots of material collection, fixing up, and essential organizing to do.

On the tech front I have iron tools and a stock of iron ingots for the eventual iron anvil.  Copper is plentiful, but lead and zinc supplies towards mass producing lanterns are low currently.  Enough leather produced for a full set of backpacks and some to spare.  Pigs in a barn to protect them from bears and I expect their pop to explode soon.  Produced enough flax the first growing season to make a gambeson armor suit, repair clothes, and have a few stacks of twine left towards developing a windmill soon-ish.  

Picture below is two recent views of the main two buildings.  Apologies for the poor lighting of the second one.

building 2 in progress.png

• Cookie time 1

I know this is a cheesy post but... Forget the amateur stuff, like plate armors, or steel, or stills, or intricate chiselwork. I feel like I've finally, after hundreds of hours of gameplay, reached the pinacle of Vintage Story homesteading and crafting today. I've made my first batch of cheese. The amount of time and effort it takes to get to a point where one can do this is kinda unexpected, and doing so on a multiplayer server is such a PITA I've resorted a to single-player playthrough. Can't wait for those two ripen... :)

2022-11-26-10-38-47.png

• Like 4

For some reason, my sceenshots are loads darker than what light was in game, and i did lots more than these.
First off, made cheese, got 4 waxed cheddars curing ..first time i ever did that.  Bit of a pain, as my goats were only gen 2 still stubborn, and can only extract milk every 24 hours from last actual extraction.  First time trying though, accomplished. 
The big one, automation, i got 2 windmills set up, and after several frustrating attempts, i finally got the helve hammer to work , and waiting on finding iron to make pulverizer caps... 
Iron so far has eluded me. 
Found and fixed 4 translocators, ...the last one took me to a far off area, with lot of neat ruins. The last screenshot was a ruin of a big ol church like building, had several underground rooms, lots of loots , and external graveyard i got to dig up as well.  
The main accomplishment, my first set of real armor ... making chain is a royal, pain.  far too many resources needed , huge time sink crafting leather, and metal ingots for full set. 

2022-11-27_16-44-52.png

2022-11-27_17-52-23.png

Continued development of the homestead.  And a few exploration trips looking for additional materials, ores, and terra preta.

First crops of Year 2 about to come in.  The pig herd is supplying plenty of meat and fat.  So about time to start automating and getting the windmill constructed.  Will be working on landscaping, replacing dirt as foundation materials, and getting the warehouse organized for future projects.

Bldg 2 interior - no chiseling yet.png

Homestead 01.png

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.