Make a raffle that winners can play this game for free

Ahmet Burçak

Or we can honor the work the small development team puts into it and figure out how to legally acquire the game.

It does stink though cause I would love everyone to be able to play this wonderful game no matter where they are in their life but the development team really deserves all $24 USD they get (and more TBH).

Maybe look around for twitch streamers and see if there are any outside influences hosting such giveaways. It's not fair to the development team to request this though. 

Good luck! 

Edited by Lostar
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

That's a bit harsh.

It was. But it doesn't change my mind about the developers deserving every bit of the asking price... maybe I am cynical because of how much I've gotten told off for charging for my commission work... it's been a lot and it's no less soul crushing each time. I've been asked to do similar; raffles for free art. It feels disrespectful.. like my time has zero value. That being said: I WISH I could do art for free AND support all of my needs. I would. I wouldn't ask for any price if I could get away with it and feed myself.

Edited by Lostar

14 hours ago, Lostar said:

Or we can honor the work the small development team puts into it and figure out how to legally acquire the game.

It does stink though cause I would love everyone to be able to play this wonderful game no matter where they are in their life but the development team really deserves all $24 USD they get (and more TBH).

Maybe look around for twitch streamers and see if there are any outside influences hosting such giveaways. It's not fair to the development team to request this though. 

Good luck! 

11 hours ago, Lostar said:

It was. But it doesn't change my mind about the developers deserving every bit of the asking price... maybe I am cynical because of how much I've gotten told off for charging for my commission work... it's been a lot and it's no less soul crushing each time. I've been asked to do similar; raffles for free art. It feels disrespectful.. like my time has zero value. That being said: I WISH I could do art for free AND support all of my needs. I would. I wouldn't ask for any price if I could get away with it and feed myself.

Only and onyl 1 lucky person wouldn't make someones go bankrupt though.

(Notice English is not my native language.)

Edited by Ahmet Burçak

23 hours ago, Ahmet Burçak said:

Only and onyl 1 lucky person wouldn't make someones go bankrupt though.

And if the one winning isn't the one not able to afford the game, a raffle will be requested again and again and again. And all those raffled copies would have to be calculated into the pricing.

Requesting raffles does, like Lostar wrote, always come with the impression that everyone entering the raffle would rather not pay for the game, invalidating the work on the game and potentially killing the motivation to further make the game. Most raffles are made by devs (or rather their publishers) after the game is finished and long after the game's sales paid for (at least) its complete development and/or after sales shrunk to nearly 0 anyway (if everyone willing to pay already paid for it, giving away some copies can lead to renewed interest while not costing anything).

I know of more small independent devs advertising the use of pirated versions of their games (for people not able to afford it) than those doing raffles, heck I know of more devs providing the pirated version themself than that. And that may be because people using pirated versions are more likely later on buying the regular license (or wouldn't have paid anyway), but people who won the game generally do not (after all they have a legit copy already).

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1

Maybe they could allow those of us that could afford to buy more copies to somehow donate them.They could raffle those off,and if there isnt any donated copies no raffle.

Just an idea, but might  be a waste off their time dealing with all the stuff that would go along with it though .

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Grish said:

Maybe they could allow those of us that could afford to buy more copies to somehow donate them.They could raffle those off,and if there isnt any donated copies no raffle.

Just an idea, but might  be a waste off their time dealing with all the stuff that would go along with it though .

You can already do that. It's called Giftable Account. Rather than foisting the work onto the devs, just run your own raffle.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Additionally to the arguments against that were already made: Raffles are somewhat legal nightmares for small companies, not only do you have to obey or circumvent gambling laws, but also you need someone fluent in legalese to write terms for the raffle and an additional privacy policy, that are solid enough for you to not get sued by competitors, people who haven't won or prosecutors.

It's something completely different if a private person not affiliated with the product or company does a raffle between their acquaintances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.