Heated greenhouses, hot springs and surface geysers

RobinHood

An orange tree has died in a greenhouse of another player. And here my thoughts, what if you could also heat a greenhouse? Like a blast furnace, you should be able to build a structure under the greenhouse. Like the Romans, with their heated thermal baths... so you have more than a bonus of 5°C, maybe 10°C or 15°C.

Furthermore, what if we would see natural heat sources in the game, underground hot springs and surface geysers. Gyesires are very rare but could create a warm oasis within 20-30 blocks, even in the dead of winter. But be carfully, a very hot geyser or a hot spring can kill or hurt you.

• Like 6
  • Amazing! 1

England had greenhouses heated by the warmth from decomposing compost to grow all of the wonderful tropical plants that explorer botanists were bringing back from the tropics.

Palm trees thriving in a frozen winter!

So yes, compost has been used as a heat source for greenhouses for a long time - and we have compost and greenhouses in VS.

I have NOT tried simply having a fire going. Has anyone actually done this? Maybe in Creative Mode? Does it have a bearing? Or is it only the outside temperature +5 degrees that matters?

Anyway, a fire is simply too expensive to maintain as a heat source in this game.

Big picture, I would like to see more heating options for greenhouses. If we have the technology to build a glass house, we have the technology to heat it.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, RobinHood said:

An orange tree has died in a greenhouse of another player. And here my thoughts, what if you could also heat a greenhouse?

I'm still yet to receive or find official confirmation if trees inside greenhouses benefit from the +5C temperature bonus at all, other than vernalization, which is largely useless.
Instead of anything too complicated, I'd simply raise the temperature bonus for trees (to, say, +10C), since trees are naturally more resistant to temperature fluctuations than smaller, more delicate plants (crops).
I'd also make it so that trees need to spend a certain amount of time in their die-below temperature to die rather than withering instantly once it hits that threshold.
I've made all these suggestions on the suggestions thread in the Discord over a year ago, and there they remain, lost in time...

I, too, am still upset that I can't cultivate peaches and oranges while living in a moderate climate. It's simply something I cannot cope with (unlike orange trees existing "naturally" despite them being a cross-bred species "invented" by humans in the first place...).

Edited by Khornet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Khornet said:

unlike orange trees existing "naturally" despite them being a cross-bred species "invented" by humans in the first place...)

Think of em' like feral animals escaping captivity after the good 'ol rottening that sent humans underground.

2 hours ago, Khornet said:

I, too, am still upset that I can't cultivate peaches and oranges while living in a moderate climate.

Kind of like our family irl after moving away from southern California.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.