How is solo play?

TheCurmudgeon

For me I'll be playing solo so how will the experience be?  Will the grind be reasonable, resources needed etc.?  I suck at Minecraft combat how will/is combat be in Vintage Story?  I'm not in a hurry to reach end-game if there is one I just don't want to grind endlessly to accomplish in-game achievements?

Thanks for any feedback

Combat in VS is about like MC I think,  minus the shield and armor, which aren't implemented yet.  As for how it ends up, there's been a lot of suggestions regarding that.  I don't think it's set in stone yet.  Your biggest worry is wolves, because they can kill you in two hits.  So you need to have your head on a swivel in temperate forests.   Pillaring up is an easy way to deal with them though.  Once you have iron sword, things become much better.

The grind is not that bad - tech right now tops out at iron tools, there's no machinery or other fancy uses yet.  The sticking point can be bronze.  A lot of people seem to have a rough time finding cassiterite.  Though you can also do bismuth/zinc for bronze.   Mainly just learn to use a propick.  If you try to find bronze components just randomly caving, you'll probably have a hard time.   The grind right now is significantly less than it was in TFC, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Its a much slower start than Minecraft. You cant just punch trees, and then have all the basic tools in just the first couple minutes.  You have to work a bit for them. Its interesting work, though.  For example, if you want a metal ax head, then you first to make molds out of clay, then fire them in a kiln, then pour molten metal into them to get your ax head.  There are a lot more steps to get where you need to get, but they are logical steps. IMHO, I don't find that sort of work to be grindy.  However, Im the sort of person who enjoys a little grind so what I consider grind is maybe not what others would consider grind.

• Like 1

Slower start than Minecraft, but well worth it. You get what feels like a greater reward for your work, and the effort of maintaining your stuff is more interesting (I have a lot of fun crafting my tools haha). As for the combat itself, it feels a lot like Minecraft in its basic forms, maybe a bit more refined in my opinion. There are some threats to keep watch out for as previously mentioned by another, especially in the start. And that is the wolves. They can kill you fast, in about 2 hits. Don't stay out at night unprepared. 😉

(I play only singleplayer by the way, and I enjoy it a lot.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.