Panning is fun

Maelstrom

My inventory is 60 blocks worth of bony soil.  The trunk contents are the previous 120 blocks of bony soil.  Interesting that I got 2 temporal gears but only 1 silver nugget in 60 blocks while the previous 120 provided the same number of temporal gears and a much larger number of silver nuggets.

image.thumb.png.d81bd279a6af826f6662e695e723bfe4.png

The best way to get rusty gears is to have a spare stack of tin bronze ingots, a spare stack of bismuth bronze ingots, and ~6 days.

Take a forge, an anvil, fuel and a hammer and run between traders. And the food for 6-7 days.

Smith the needed tools right next to the traders, sell it to them.

Each tool that worth an ingot may be sold as much as 5 gears for tin and 7 gears for bismuth.

16*5 + 16*7 = 192 gears in 6 days.

Plus exploring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenLi said:

The best way to get rusty gears is to have a spare stack of tin bronze ingots, a spare stack of bismuth bronze ingots, and ~6 days.

Take a forge, an anvil, fuel and a hammer and run between traders. And the food for 6-7 days.

Smith the needed tools right next to the traders, sell it to them.

Each tool that worth an ingot may be sold as much as 5 gears for tin and 7 gears for bismuth.

16*5 + 16*7 = 192 gears in 6 days.

Plus exploring.

I marked the traders and every month takes a round and make same - tools for them. You have absolutely right. 

5 hours ago, Kirb said:

True, basically the best way to get rusty gears. Just get some gems and sell them to a trader. Also easier to get lanterns this way than to either buy candles from a trader or start beekeeping.

From this experience, panning is a horrible way to get candles.  Maybe if you can't find bees it would be a way to get the first lantern or two.  But look at the number of candles I got from 180 blocks of bony soil.  I averaged about 14 blocks per candle, and there were times I went 20 blocks without a candle.

Actual chances may learned from pan.json in:

***\Vintagestory\assets\survival\blocktypes\wood\pan.json

Stated "chance: { avg: 0.3, var: 0 }" the 0.3 chance stands for 30% chance (multiply by 100) to get e.g. bones from the bony soil.

I can download older versions to track the changes - if anyone wants.

I pan every night after about the second night just because I have nothing else to do, and it was occasionally useful for skipping through bronze. Seems to me it was taking around a couple hundred bony soil to get enough gold and silver to make 1100 black bronze. The majority of the time, it was through tin prospecting, but maybe a quarter of time time it got there faster?

Used to be possible with regular sand and tin bronze, but the chance must have been nerfed. Either that or my luck changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.