Jump to content

Players' aversion to spears


BigBadBeef
 Share

Recommended Posts

Why don't players like spears? They pack one helluva punch, especially the black bronze spear, with 8 damage when thrown. When you're in a defensive fight, you can raise your shield throw one in point blank range and it will come right back in your hand. It also has the potential to strike its target multiple times (granted its due to a bug but nevertheless). And its reach is excellent when poking at drifters while safely in a hidey hole during a temporal storm.

why don't people like them?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with spears (yes they have a drawback) is the amount of inventory space they require. If'n I'm on a long range resource gathering mission I want to maximize my ability to haul resources back home and spears are a definitive drawback to that goal.

Recurve bow and arrows help solve that problem while capitalizing on the benefits of ranged combat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There a few expectations to hate for spears.

1. Their long range that allow to cheese on combat.

2. Spears are easy to produce especially the flint ones.

3. You can spam spears to throw to everything and dealing quick and major damage. (Bullseye fix that to make the aim less spammy)

4. It discourages close combat with falx. (Unless you know how to dodge)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There should really be a distinction between javelins and spears, with spears actually useful in melee - long reach, significant knockback, best primary weapon for dedicated fighting, maybe balanced by minimum hit distance, long draw animation, unwieldiness in tight corridors. As is, they are just annoying earlygame weapon.

Edited by Thap
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, Thap said:

There should really be a distinction between javelins and spears, with spears actually useful in melee - long reach, significant knockback, best primary weapon for dedicated fighting, maybe balanced by minimum hit distance, long draw animation, unwieldiness in tight corridors. As is, they are just annoying earlygame weapon.

If a change is to be made, there is only one thing it might need - if hit by melee, it will cancel the ranged charge up animation. rendering ranged weapons useless in melee. Couple that with adjusting the sprinting mechanic to being no longer able to sprint in reverse... and there will be no more cheese with that particular wine!

  • Wolf Bait 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

If a change is to be made, there is only one thing it might need - if hit by melee, it will cancel the ranged charge up animation. rendering ranged weapons useless in melee. Couple that with adjusting the sprinting mechanic to being no longer able to sprint in reverse... and there will be no more cheese with that particular wine!

I really really hope such a change does not happen. Such a change will lead to me playing with creature hostility set to passive. Combat is already unpleasant enough with the windups on melee weapons making hitting things tricky, if ranged weapons become unusable as long as an enemy is next to you, it will become unplayable.

  • Wolf Bait 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Hells Razer said:

I really really hope such a change does not happen. Such a change will lead to me playing with creature hostility set to passive. Combat is already unpleasant enough with the windups on melee weapons making hitting things tricky, if ranged weapons become unusable as long as an enemy is next to you, it will become unplayable.

You sound like a minecraft player...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigBadBeef said:

You sound like a minecraft player...

I sound like someone who dislikes input lag to his controls.
Let's be real we play neither of these games for their realistic combat simulation, therefore at the very least it should not actively feel bad to engage in it.
Me fighting the controls in order to hit something while in melee range is not a good game design choice.

Edited by Hells Razer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2022 at 12:43 PM, Hells Razer said:

I really really hope such a change does not happen. Such a change will lead to me playing with creature hostility set to passive. Combat is already unpleasant enough with the windups on melee weapons making hitting things tricky, if ranged weapons become unusable as long as an enemy is next to you, it will become unplayable.

Have you tried using an axe as a melee weapon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.