Things to do with poisonous mushrooms and bones

j34nn3tt3

Poisonous mushrooms don't have a function to my knowledge (other than hurting you if you eat them) and bones are limited to just being bone meal or part of a crafting recipe for bows.

I think it would be nice to see these items have more functionality. Bones being abundant in the ways we accumulate them without really trying is kind of a disappointment that you can't do more with them. And there is honestly no reason to harvest the poisonous mushrooms at this time but they are every where.

For the mushrooms, being able to boil them into a poison and make poison dipped weapons (swords, spears, and arrows) and the poison would need to be reapplied over use. each mushroom having a different strength of poison according to their toxicity level. 

For bones, I think it would be cool to see bone tools (not handles, I'm meaning for bone tipped weapons). like a bone knife, bone needles for sewing, and even attaching bone fragments to a club for added damage, and being able to cook the bones either in to a broth or over a fire to eat the marrow. 

Bones can be used for stone knife and axe handles which provide a bit of durability boost.

Poisonous mushrooms (particularly death caps) are a dual purpose item: instantly heals all damage AND teleport to spawn.  =D  Kidding aside, you are right about poisonous mushrooms.  Although they are fun to troll your server-mates with if hidden in cooked meals.

PS - Welcome to Vintage Story!

Edited by Maelstrom

Poisonous mushrooms will spoil into the same rot as any other type of food which can be turned into fertilizer at least.

For bones, it is just bone handles for stone knives and bonemeal in base game. Useful if you are growing a ton of phosphorous-heavy crops. Go forth and build your pumpkin empire from the bones of your foes :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 3:00 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Be nice if we could make some venom-tip arrows with them.  I don't know how realistic that might be; I don't know if you can make venom from poisonous mushrooms.

if i go full nerd i can tell that the issue with the poison-tipped arrows is not the poison itself but the arrow. there are not so many poisons that are easily accesible and will stick to the arrow tip. the acceleration and/or the "wind" the arrow experiences will make the poison just slip away from the tip, which gives you two options, regular arrows + some kind of sponge-material which will greately slow down your arrow AND not assure the application of the poison, or a special caged arrow which will have it's balance thrown away thus flying lesser and dealing less damage. those are the two real reasons of why there are not burning arrows IRL. too much of a hassle for too little reward.

if your intention is to kill mobs faster your best bet is to make a Hupa tribe barbed arrow or if you want to increase your odds of finding the arrow in the corpse by adding a hook on them. the arrow will probably still break, but the head will still be there for sure 🤣

still, eating a poisoned animal is... a great way to... teleport to the spawn point. but if you rather kill drifters just let your iron arrow heads rust in the ground close to your sheeps ... being honest, being on a sight of drifter shaking having spasms sounds kind of fun... 

On 6/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, 1Joachim1 said:

if i go full nerd i can tell that the issue with the poison-tipped arrows is not the poison itself but the arrow. there are not so many poisons that are easily accesible and will stick to the arrow tip. the acceleration and/or the "wind" the arrow experiences will make the poison just slip away from the tip, which gives you two options, regular arrows + some kind of sponge-material which will greately slow down your arrow AND not assure the application of the poison, or a special caged arrow which will have it's balance thrown away thus flying lesser and dealing less damage. those are the two real reasons of why there are not burning arrows IRL. too much of a hassle for too little reward.

if your intention is to kill mobs faster your best bet is to make a Hupa tribe barbed arrow or if you want to increase your odds of finding the arrow in the corpse by adding a hook on them. the arrow will probably still break, but the head will still be there for sure 🤣

still, eating a poisoned animal is... a great way to... teleport to the spawn point. but if you rather kill drifters just let your iron arrow heads rust in the ground close to your sheeps ... being honest, being on a sight of drifter shaking having spasms sounds kind of fun... 

Yes and no , as somone from eastern europe and mushroom picker(we live next to national parks) there are some mushrooms that are considered unedible unless you prepare them specific way (like boiling and changing water 3 times) and this works only for some of them , these days not many people picks them , used to be gathered more in tougher times and had rigorous preperation

as for person who said "put it on arrows"(im too lazy to quote) , leme introduce you to world not all mushrooms are poisonous to all animals , chocolate is toxic to felines and canines , Aloe vera , healing plant for us is toxic to dogs too

just because specific plant is toxic or poisonous to us ., not means its for toxic or poisonous to specific animal(it can but its not guarantee) and it can be less or more severe , various other animals eat poisonous or toxic mushrooms because they are ether immune , or have different physiology

for gameplay perspective i think its fine as it is , aside from very specific medicinal (or hallucinogenic) there are no good applications of it for game like this , and making some inedible ones be "less bad" after preparation could be interesting gimmick but there are so many kinds of mushrooms , even tho i played 100h so far i only encountered 3 ones who are inedible.

Edited by Varenvel
typos

On 6/12/2023 at 6:49 AM, 1Joachim1 said:

Can't you coat the arrows then then let them dry?  When it penetrates the target's flesh, the blood will rehydrate the venom and pick it up, carrying it to the rest of the body to do its damage.

...but yeah, using poisoned mushrooms to create a venom probably would ruin the meat.  Then we'd have poisoned meat we can't do anything with.  XD  Though to be fair, if you could process the mushrooms into a proper venom (i.e. must be injected, consumption doesn't activate), it wouldn't hazard the meat.  But, again, I don't know how feasible that is.  I'm probably on enough watch lists, I don't need to go googling "how to make venom from wild poisoned mushrooms".

On 6/19/2023 at 4:07 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Can't you coat the arrows then then let them dry?  When it penetrates the target's flesh, the blood will rehydrate the venom and pick it up, carrying it to the rest of the body to do its damage.

the issue is that, paraphrasing paracelsus "everything is poison, nothing is poison, quantity makes the poison" and by that i mean that you can have a certain amount of poison and nothing can happen (depends on the potency) for example,  fly agaric is known as a "killer mushroom" per se, but it's name is due to the use of said mushroom as insecticide.

the reality is just more than just an hallucinogen. HOWEVER it is indeed poisonous so DON'T eat it unless you know what you're doing. but then, why don't use it as a poison? the question is.. how you get all the poison out of it. distill it? it's poison is water soluble so, boiling it will "detoxify the mushroom" which dilutes the poison itself and discarding the water makes, according to some sources, the mushroom actually  become edible, but DON'T TRY IT anyways. so you have the problem of having a low concentration of poison so you need a big injection, low concentrations = not really a poison but more of a dangerous hallucinogen... on the other hand you could dry the mushroom which increases the potency of the poison itself, but then.. how you make others eat it?

but how long does it take to be effective? depending on the dose around 30 minutes up to 90 and with the proper care people could completely recover in 24h. (there's no antidote, however), since it's a slow acting poison.. then there's no actual use in a "fight" that should last for a few seconds...

what about the effects? because some poisoned traps could do the trick.. welp.. that's the fun part. everything OR nothing! dangerous things OR safe things! YAY! it's the lottery mushroom. you either feel euphoria or relaxation, ataxia or loss of equilibrium, delirium or twitching drowsiness, happiness or sadness.. but the worst poisoning is having the deliriums followed by "block of neurotransmitters", hallucinations, confusion and irritability...

and under any circumstances you want to face an irritated wolf or a bear that's having hallucinations and episodes of seizures, but the best case it will enter into a coma so.. that's not that bad. will you take the risk?

Edited by 1Joachim1

• 3 weeks later...

Herbology/potion-making's on the roadmap.  Maybe you'd be able to make poisons for combat with mushrooms later on.  And perhaps even make beneficial potions with them if you do it right.

After all, the difference between medicine and poison is often simply a matter of dosage.

Maybe bones could be turned into carved decorative items? I feel like they should still be options for handles of metal knives and some tools, though. Bone, ivory, and antler being used as decorative elements could be interesting later down the line.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 1:59 AM, Buttshredder said:

In my opinion, the ability for Bone Armor would be MASSIVE. Good for style, a decent way to use extra bones, and having a one-up from your Wooden Armor. That and it'd be nice to have bear/wolf/ram skull helmets for outfit purposes.

could have a advanced bone armor like Bonemold armor in Morrowind,

On 6/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, 1Joachim1 said:

wonder if it would be possible to make a arrowhead hold it inside and release it by breaking on impact

• 2 weeks later...

We should be able to poison meat and feed it to wolves and bears.

On 5/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, Gonnnn said:

Poisonous mushrooms will spoil into the same rot as any other type of food which can be turned into fertilizer at least.

They take quite a while, unfortunately.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.