Increase cheese satiety in scrambled egg meal

Bumber

A cheddar cheese slice is worth 240 satiety whether eaten raw or turned into a meal portion, despite the fact that the meal has a greatly reduced spoilage time (even in a sealed crock) and that the cheese is an optional ingredient. It should probably gain a bonus like other ingredients do in meals to make doing so worthwhile.

Most meals seem to give ingredients a 1.5x boost, which would result in 360 satiety for cheddar and 300 for blue cheese. (It's nothing close to the milk equivalent of 937.5 satiety, but that's a separate issue.)

Edited by Bumber
  • Like 1

Yes, this is because cheese has the "nutritionPropsByType" function, but it's missing the "NutritionPropsWhenInMealByType" attribute, for whatever reason. I wonder if this is a deliberate design decision or an oversight? Maybe it's because cheese is a product, while most ingredients are sourced naturally?? 

Edited by l33tmaan

• 5 months later...

I really don't understand the point of cheese, it seems totally not worth it to do all that work and wait all that time for something with so little satiety. It seems like the only benefit is shelf life, which doesn't seem worth it. And the fact that blue cheese is more difficult to make and yet has LESS satiety is just bonkers.

But I've never personally made cheese so I'm just going off what I've read and heard; perhaps I'm missing something 🤔

You are right. There is no game point to cheese. Best case, it's 2.5 HP, but practically speaking, more like 1.5, assuming you are keeping the easy ones topped up. Just increasing satiety does not help that either, largely because it makes buying cheese that much smarter.

Not sure how to address it without rethinking satiety to some extent. The difference between 20 and 22.5 HP is not enough to make all the time and effort worthwhile.

14 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

The difference between 20 and 22.5 HP is not enough to make all the time and effort worthwhile.

Eh, I'd consider that absolutely worthwhile; extra HP is worth more than the number itself suggests because armor protects it. I go for bighorn breeding in every world.

The problem cheese has is more that you can get the extra HP from just drinking the milk. There is absolutely no point in turning the milk into cheese. Not even preservation - while milk does spoil extremely rapidly, you can just get it fresh straight from the source. All it takes is a minimum of effort to ensure that you stagger out the pregnancies of your ewes a little.

Yes, you can add cheese to meals and you can't do that with milk, but that's just for roleplay. You can simply eat meals made of the other four nutrition types and drink a bowl of milk alongside.

The primary expectation that I as a player would have from the cheesemaking process is that it rewards the effort and resources I spend on it by increasing the nutritional value in some way. And if not through the cheesemaking process itself, then through getting a multiplier for including cheese in meals. Like OP is suggesting.

Edited by Streetwind
  • Like 1

Maybe. Even probably if you do melee fighting. A couple points multiplied by good armor is worth it with a 20 attack nightmare, for instance. But anything above gambeson incurs such a nasty accuracy debuff that instead of being able to kill almost everything at range, I end up taking melee damage. It's particularly bad in cramped quarters like caves, or storms when things can spawn right behind you, and you are not fast enough at clearing out the ones in front of you.

The way I play, a couple points combined with reduction for gambeson, just not worth it.

[EDIT]

All I'm looking for is enough HP to not get one-shotted. Some of those are pretty tough to avoid. If I can't avoid taking the second hit, that's on me.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.