v1.19.4-rc.1 - Now with glue included!

radfast

Dousing for sticks and seeds came to my mind when wielding shears..  😅

As for the mining speed?  It's more of a gameplay thing than a reality thing for me.  Consider a days worth of travel is what? about 5,000 blocks?  That's only 5 km.  I'm pretty sure people can walk farther than that by a long shot.  Like almost 10 times that far in a single day.  Given the dramatic unreality of that, I'm not advocating for something more realistic.  It makes sense in the game.  At this time the pre 1.19.4 mining speed makes sense in game and the longer time does not.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 3

Yeah, there's all kinds of stuff that argues against reality. Every 1m in height is 0.6C? So my loft should be about 2.5C cooler than my basement? Or my house a good 8C (oops, 13C-- divide by .6, not multiply by .6) cooler than the main road? Or the distance from temperate to tropics is less than the distance from my home to the nearest town? I'm not that far in the boonies.

I'm just saying it's not exactly game breaking. What used to take 5h of game time now takes 6h. And ore blasting bombs are as quick as they were before.

Edited by Thorfinn

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

And who has ore blasting bombs when going back to all those surface copper nodes with the first pick of the world?  Hmmmm...?  😄

My best ever was the 4th of May. But since I generally have the pick on the 2nd or 3rd, point taken.

20 hours ago, Battlesong said:

Even if the intent isn't to nerf mining, the effect is still the same - this is a massive nerf to mining. Surely there's a better way to match block breakage with animations without drastically altering mining time for the worse?

Agreed entirely. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 2:59 PM, StCatharines said:

There are already mods which allow for easier sourcing of resin. The base game plainly uses resin as a way to gate later-game technology, after which it goes mostly unused. I see this glue system as a good way to give resin a use later on.

Ah, so if a mod is made, it doesn't need to be put into vanilla VS?
Wonder where that paper map came from.

Unrelated to the above, but still related to the patch:

• Soil, sand and stone mining resistance are all increased by 20% (take longer to mine), gravel resistance is decreased 20% [note: the thinking behind this tweak is not to nerf mining, but to have the block breakage time match up better with the shovel and pick animations]
  • In the Interface settings tab, players can now change the field of view for the first person mode hands, reduced default FoV from 90 to 75. This mitigates first person hands looking unnaturally long.

Why are you making the game worse to solve a problem you made? Just fix the problems.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:12 PM, radfast said:

Mouse buttons are now re-bindable

Rebindable mouse buttons are a great addition for accessibility. However, I see there's something missing here.

The game uses something else on a mouse that's not rebindable: mouse scroll for cycling hotbar items.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to rebind a button to select next or previous item on a hotbar. I would greatly appreciate introducing a binding to select next/prev item on hotbar.

Creating a new set of controls for prev/next hotbar cycling and binding it to PgUp/PgDn by default (In addition to already existing mouse scroll) would be also a very much welcome solution.

This will hopefully make life for those who configure controllers to work with this game a whole lot easier, because binding to mouse events is often a hit or miss, especially on some more exotic setups. Steam Deck for example requires a nasty workaround, because mouse scroll events are detected twice instead of once for some reason, and a special template was required to cycle through 0-9 numbers on a keyboard. All because a binding for next/prev item doesn't exist.

Edited by mard
  • Like 2

I have to say I am very happy with adding the glue mechanic to the game, think it's a bit strange there's no way to fix the bowl once used to make glue but this isn't too big of an issue other than an extra bit of inventory management.

Have to agree with others here though, the mining nerf for realism doesn't make much sense, this is just an increase in time and it feels like the current speed is already adequate for a game that involves a lot of grinding. Mining speed should be in reference to what feels fun and worth the player's time, not reflective of the real world.

On the hides now rotting, I'm hesitant to say this is a bad change because of the bias I have of stockpiling hides, however that 3 persons ended up making mods to counteract this change without even checking if someone else did I feel that the change needs to be considered again for game balance, maybe make it easier to get them preserved or have fat drop in higher quantities on animals or a different way to start the tanning process since it can be dozens of hours before you're ready to do it as is.

I say this from the perspective of someone who is playing the game modded already, as A) most of my mods are are just content additions, I like to keep core features functioning as they are, and B) the default way is how most people will experience the game. Saying players should take extra steps to modify their game so it's enjoyable is frustrating if you're just getting started. I hope that as with any release candidate the changes introduced can reach a medium between developer's design and experience for the players

18 hours ago, anythingarax said:

Have to agree with others here though, the mining nerf for realism doesn't make much sense,

That's not why it was changed. Near as I can tell, that misunderstanding was people riffing off something I said, which was 20% slower is not exactly game breaking. If mining speed were that before, I doubt it would be a major complaint now. I'm hardly a fan of making things more grindy. There's already so much in the game that I think has too low ROI that I skip over as much as possible.

But I think it makes a solid case that I was right that if the game had initially erred by making rafts or gliders too good, there would be no end of complaining when they were nerfed in a later release...

On 2/18/2024 at 1:13 PM, Rhyagelle said:

It's just the default setting. You can still change it.

And what about those worlds created with the default setting before this change?  gotta find the game command to change it right?  Not exactly a good solution to the fix of a problem that has other solutions.  

I noticed that there's an open requisition for an animator.  I wonder if that is related to the implemented solution of nerfing mining speed to fix the animation of mining.  

8 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

And what about those worlds created with the default setting before this change?  gotta find the game command to change it right?  Not exactly a good solution to the fix of a problem that has other solutions.  

I noticed that there's an open requisition for an animator.  I wonder if that is related to the implemented solution of nerfing mining speed to fix the animation of mining.  

Oh, I actually didn't even consider that. Yeah, I'd agree, it's not a good solution at all.

I love the idea of glue, but being forced to carry it around purely to get decorative, non-functional blocks for building sounds like a bit of a burden.
I love clutter blocks so much and use them so often, and don't really want to grind out a bunch of resin purely to get them.
I think it could be better if it was so that clutter had a 50% drop chance, but glue could be used to increase that up to 100%, though perhaps clutter being found more commonly in chests could potentially alleviate this problem a bit. I think it just depends on how common it is and how easy glue is to obtain.

Also that mining nerf is quite the setback.
Tailor has a 10% nerf to mining anyway, would this de-sync the animations despite this change?
I think the animations could just be faster to match the current speed.

All the other changes are super cool, I love the being able to place hides idea and the new barrel models.

Edited by ifoz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.