Performance issues. Can someone help?

przyg

Hey! I'm a new Vintage Story player. I have some performance issues. Game work often normally, sometimes my fps drops for no reason. I've got a computer that meets requirements: Optimum Setup (60+ fps on high and very high graphics quality settings, heavily modded). The performance issues occurs when:
1. I will move about 800 squares away from the spawn (Restart of the game will help for about 3 minutes)

2. In very rare cases it occurs randomly no matter where I am (Restart will not always help)

Can someone help me with this performance issues?

Posted (edited)

My computer specifications:

GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 LAPTOP, Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Vintage story uses rtx)

CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11400H @ 2.70GHz

RAM: 32GB RAM 3200 MHz

SSD/HDD: SSD: 512 GB NVMe (Vintage story is installed on SSD), HDD: 1000 GB HDD

Monitor: 144Hz Full HD Acer laptop monitor, 100Hz Full HD iiyama monitor (When i play games i disconnect my 2nd monitor)

When the performance issues occur my fps drops to about 1-24 fps

My performance issues is random fps drops. Fps can also drop when i get far from the spawn (About 800 blocks)

Edited by przyg

I'm using Windows 11.

My laptop dont get super hot when i'm playing games (max 84°C from my observations).

I dont have much mods i have only one but the issues is even when i dont install any mods.

Hmm. 800 blocks is not very far. To check whether its a throttling issue, turn graphics down to low for a while and see. You can also try pulling view distance down.

You have plenty of free space on the drive? Your user directory is on the SSD, too? Your antivirus isn't trying to scan things as they are written?

One of my machines is very similar to that, though it is a desktop, and it runs well on High. 1024 view distance, so I think it's probably not that. My laptop is much higher end, and it struggles from time to time, my guess is as the GPU overheats. Never really cared that much, because I prefer to play on my desktop with much bigger monitor.

I will try to turn graphic settings down. I have a lot of space on drive. Vintage story is installed on ssd. I dont use any anti virus, i use windows defender because it is good for me.

Doesn't Windows Defender scan the data that programs are trying to write to the SSD? Or have you set an exception?

Yeah, you had said VS was installed on the SSD. It just was not clear whether your user directory is also there. If you didn't change it, likely it is, but I have seen laptops where that was not how it was set up.

Posted (edited)

Lowering graphic setting make my performance worse. it drops to 10-14 fps.

Very high settings make it better. Performance raises to about 28-32 fps.

Ultra high setting lowers the fps to about the same as Medium, Low, Very low etc.

But even if i have Very high settings it's still hard to explore world in any way.

I will try to disabling win def.

My vintage story directory is: C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\VintagestoryData

Edited by przyg

Hope discord can help, saw the following when googling throttling...

I've not used the following, but this seems to address how to know if the gpu is reaching its ideal performance.

The vid talks about heading over to notebookcheck website to gain the reference numbers on the graphics card

and then use MSI Afterburner to compare actual numbers reached on the laptop, compared the reference numbers belonging to the graphics card

vid on checking laptop performance against referenced baseline

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.