Sigh. Looking for a reason to not start a new game...

Thorfinn

... and write this one off as a loss.

So far, have found no traces of tin, three commodities traders, who've never had tin any time I checked, and trace amounts of zinc. It's mid January. For what I consider a "win", I'd have to find enough to make a tin bronze pick (to trade for the RA map), clear out the RA and find some kind of bronze that would let me get steel tools and steel plate by 1 MAY.

I hate to quit when there's still a chance of "winning", but I just don't see the path. Even if the fairies gave me enough tin tonight to make the pick, it will probably take a month to get the map, get to the RA and clear it, a couple weeks to get home, and then I've still got to get enough bronze to make another pick and anvil, them mine iron, then wait for blooms, then make enough steel for a full set of tools and a set of plate armor. All before 1 MAY.

Much as I hate to admit defeat, I think realistically, I got beat this time. Any hope?

• Like 1

While you could always start a new game, I personally don't view this game as having a set "win" or "lose".
Sometimes I'm straight to the iron age, sometimes I stay with bronze for a while depending on circumstance.
Sometimes if I get a build I'm working on complete, that will classify as "winning" for me.

If you are talking purely in terms of progression, I suppose it may be worth restarting.
Though who knows, maybe you'll suddenly find a translocator that will take you to somewhere with tin readings.
Translocators could be your key to success here, you'd just have to get quite lucky with them.

Edited by ifoz

I know how you feel. I'm about 46 hours into my current world and cannot for the life of me find Limestone/Borax. Since those two things are pretty important I'm considering starting a new world until I land in a spawn area with common limestone. As ifoz mentioned I don't think there are win lose situations, Just varying degrees of milestones, Sometimes the RNG gods shine upon you and sometimes..... well yeah.

Edited by RetroTekGuy
Typo correction

2 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Much as I hate to admit defeat, I think realistically, I got beat this time. Any hope?

Maybe consider this one a "hard mode" map with different win conditions? I had a world once where I had to go miles just to find borax and bauxite in order to progress to steel. It was frustrating, but that sense of satisfaction when I finally got there was oh-so-sweet!

If you don't want to just toss the world, but are too frustrated to continue, I'd set that one aside for a while and come back to it later. 😀

• Like 1

I'm with @LadyWYT.  Consider your current world a challenge by VS to beat you.  Are you gonna rollover and voluntarily die or are you going to scratch and claw every inch of the way to win by achieving the progression goals you have (even if it's not in the time limit you set)?

tl;dr stop whining and git good.  😊

• Like 1

January 9. Cracked ore vessel with 4 tin! Woohoo! Exactly enough for two bronze picks. I think. Glad I chose to make more than 1 pick mold. in a couple hours, I'm off to get a map. With luck, maybe I'll prospect up some tin on the way?

• Like 3

Also don't forget that if you're needing tools to use yourself and have a tough time acquiring materials to make them, you can always trade for them provided that you have the gears for it and access to the proper traders. It's not the standard route of progressing, perhaps, but it'll do in a pinch on those trickier maps!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:36 AM, LadyWYT said:

Also don't forget that if you're needing tools to use yourself and have a tough time acquiring materials to make them, you can always trade for them provided that you have the gears for it and access to the proper traders. It's not the standard route of progressing, perhaps, but it'll do in a pinch on those trickier maps!

Completely forgot to suggest this!
About an hour of underground ruin hunting in my experience can get you all the gears you need for a tin bronze pickaxe and maybe another tool if you get lucky. You'd need to find a Survival Goods trader, though.
Then you could just swap the pick for a map, and off you go to the Archives!

Thanks!

Yeah, I'd been checking all the traders pretty much every month since July when things were starting to look bad, and no joy. I was breaking vessels, checking traders, prospecting, only stopping back "home" every month or so to harvest.

I did stumble across a "high" cassiterite prospecting, and found at least 2 different deposits of iron on my way to RA, so if I can find even a half-stack of tin ore on my return, I'm golden. All it took to turn things around was one lucky cracked vessel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

LOL. Oh, garbage! Finished up the RA, decided to go back one last time to see if there was anything else I wanted to bring home in all the lootables, and fumble-fingered, falling to my death.

So while I'm pretty sure I would have "won" the last game by at least a month had I not been greedy for no point, the answer turns out to be, yeah, I could as well have restarted. It was touch and go, though. I had burned through most of my poultices and all of my bandages.

The answer to the question I asked in another thread is, yes, it is possible to kill the boss with nothing more than obsidian spears plus what you find inside, wearing nothing more than gambeson. Still don't know if you can do it with flint, but I suspect you can. But that also means you can move the RA up significantly, so rather than bringing food with, you can potentially live off the land, from what you collect getting there.

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Wolf Bait 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.