I miss Drifter danger

Moopsy

I am a new player and this map I'm playing with my daughter has no drifters spawning. I have the GraceTimer=0 but still not drifters are spawning. Any suggestions?

Edited by Steven Clary

Drifters cannot spawn under an open sky unless there is a rift nearby. They additionally require darkness, and a suitable surface to spawn on, and cannot spawn within a certain number of blocks close to the player.

(An ongoing temporal storm waives all of those restrictions.)

Additionally, if you press C and look at the bottom, you'll be able to see "rift weather". This controls both how many rifts will pop up, as well as how many drifters will spawn (from rifts or otherwise). If your rift weather reads "calm", then you'll be safe even at night or deep underground; but if it reads "apocalyptic", better hunker down wherever you are unless the sun's shining on your head.

• Like 1

If they aren't spawning during periods of rift activity(assuming that spawn conditions are met), I'd either start a new world as a test to see if they spawn, or check your mod list if you are using mods. In the case of the latter, I'd be suspecting a mod of having some unintended side effects.

If the drifters are spawning though and it's just a case of there not being a lot of rift activity, I'd just give it some time. Sometimes you can go for days in-game with all being calm, and other times you'll not see the rift activity drop below medium for what feels like a week. You could also try increasing the frequency of temporal storms.

Also, if you built far enough to the north to have at least a bit of light throughout an entire day in summer, drifters may not spawn on the surface at all during that time of year, even with high levels of rift activity. The only other thing I can think of to check as well is which gamemode you picked on world creation. If you picked Homo Sapiens mode(I think that's the one), it removes all the lore content and supernatural elements, which means it won't be possible for drifters(or rifts) to spawn at all. I'm also guessing that gamemode probably isn't the issue here, but if that does turn out to be the problem you'll probably need to start a new world with the correct settings, or see about installing mods that add other creatures to up the danger level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.