Removeable farmland.

Jeremy McArthur

On 3/12/2020 at 7:49 AM, Jeremy McArthur said:

I JUST discovered that you can't remove farmland.... why?

If farmland dropped just a regular soil block - terra preta for instance - you wouldn't need to rotate crops.  You could just dig up your farmland, it'd drop fresh soil, and you'd place it and hoe it again.   Soil nutrition would be totally pointless.   This issue is why it is the way it is currently - to avoid that.

Now, there have been discussions about other options - If each block remembers it's nutrients, then you've got scores of individual blocks with individual percentages to deal with, potentially.   Not ideal.    You could in theory simply have the blocks average their nutrients, similar to combining differing decay food stacks currently.  I don't know the code aspects of this though, in terms of carrying that percentage on an item and transferring it to a placed block.  Tyron is busy with more pressing things now in any case.  When crops get updated, it may be looked at again.

• Like 1

I feel that the best solution to this would be newly placed soil defaults to zero or very low nutrition numbers and would need to be built up from there.  New farm, new soil.  I can totally understand trying to source up new soils on a multiplayer server.  Even on a single player I collected it, I'd like to reuse it, redesign the farm, etc.

Edited by RapscallionGamer
  • Cookie time 3

On 3/13/2020 at 5:54 AM, RapscallionGamer said:

I feel that the best solution to this would be newly placed soil defaults to zero or very low nutrition numbers and would need to be built up from there.  New farm, new soil.  I can totally understand trying to source up new soils on a multiplayer server.  Even on a single player I collected it, I'd like to reuse it, redesign the farm, etc.

Ooo...cool idea. Placed farmland has 0 nutrients and you have to till composted material in to it to build the nutrients up.

5 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

Ooo...cool idea. Placed farmland has 0 nutrients and you have to till composted material in to it to build the nutrients up.

Ok hey now stop adding additional evil to the suggestions lol

On that note though, if we include your previous suggestion for the compost bin changes (to obtain compost at a more reasonable rate), you could have any soil type be improved up to the level of terra preta, negating it entirely. Just keep composting and tilling it up. Breaking the block will reset it to 0. This would make my slightly annoyed, but it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Betts said:

Ok hey now stop adding additional evil to the suggestions lol

On that note though, if we include your previous suggestion for the compost bin changes (to obtain compost at a more reasonable rate), you could have any soil type be improved up to the level of terra preta, negating it entirely. Just keep composting and tilling it up. Breaking the block will reset it to 0. This would make my slightly annoyed, but it makes sense.

The different blocks can still have a max amount of nutrient it can hold, or maybe the growth rate could be the differentiater. But the compost would only be effective to it's max level. Maybe prolonged composting could bump a low to a medium and a medium to preta, but that would take some time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.