Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I like to play hardcore, and I had a wonderful spawn where I found an absolutely MASSIVE marble sandfield and cave system very nearby where I came to exist. And now I've gotten so frustrated on my next good play-through, I had to spend almost two real life days trying to find any kind of surface stone other than granite... I thankfully finally found the edge, and a 3 stone stack's worth of limestone, enough to make my backpacks and bow....

I'm sorry, I had full bronze armor and toools when I started this search, barrels and buckets and a farm ready to go. That was absolutely ridiculous.

  • Like 1
Posted

There are so many different resources you need for progression that it is pretty much guaranteed that not all of them will be in the vicinity of where you settled. You'll always have to strike out and find something far afield. That's intentional, by the way.

It's just that sometimes, it's something you need somewhat early on (like ingredients for leatherworking), and sometimes, it's something you'll need in the lategame (like bauxite).

Posted
5 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

There are so many different resources you need for progression that it is pretty much guaranteed that not all of them will be in the vicinity of where you settled. You'll always have to strike out and find something far afield. That's intentional, by the way.

It's just that sometimes, it's something you need somewhat early on (like ingredients for leatherworking), and sometimes, it's something you'll need in the lategame (like bauxite).

Bro I went out like 3-4000 blocks in each direction just trying to find a surface rock that wasn't granite. This has been a problem for 3+ years. I had everything but that, and I could not find it despite having a deep strip mine.

Posted
7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

There are so many different resources you need for progression that it is pretty much guaranteed that not all of them will be in the vicinity of where you settled. You'll always have to strike out and find something far afield. That's intentional, by the way.

That's partly why the granite/igneous fields have become one of my favorite world types to play. Granite is a nice neutral color for building, and it's pretty fun to actually need to figure out how to work around a resource bottleneck. The leather bottleneck is actually one of the easiest to work around, provided one is playing with lore content enabled, since survival goods/commodities traders sell lime.

Posted

Granite areas also guarantee igneous rocks top to bottom, making it really easy to find tin, zinc, and bismuth for progression to the bronze age.

By comparison, that tends to be something that a "lucky" player who started in a limestone area tends to struggle with. ;) 

Posted
On 9/26/2026 at 3:48 PM, Streetwind said:

Granite areas also guarantee igneous rocks top to bottom, making it really easy to find tin, zinc, and bismuth for progression to the bronze age.

By comparison, that tends to be something that a "lucky" player who started in a limestone area tends to struggle with. ;) 

I didn't realize that. I need to learn more about how stone layers and stuff actually works in Vintage Story. One of the many things that is A LOT of info in Vintage Story which is what makes it so much more fun to me.

Posted
2 hours ago, VANTABlack2000 said:

I didn't realize that. I need to learn more about how stone layers and stuff actually works in Vintage Story. One of the many things that is A LOT of info in Vintage Story which is what makes it so much more fun to me.

I think granite is bugged when it becomes the main world layer. No other stone type seems to just blanket 10-20 thousand square block areas.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mark Watton said:

I think granite is bugged when it becomes the main world layer. No other stone type seems to just blanket 10-20 thousand square block areas.

It feels that way, but it's not. You don't have to find limestone either. Always keep a look out for stone that can have borax as well. You still have to get out of the granite area, but don't lock yourself into only limestone or you might pass right by borax containing rocks which is just as good for making leather.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Zane Mordien said:

It feels that way, but it's not. You don't have to find limestone either. Always keep a look out for stone that can have borax as well. You still have to get out of the granite area, but don't lock yourself into only limestone or you might pass right by borax containing rocks which is just as good for making leather.

I finally found a small deposit of lime big enough for me to make a stack and a half of leather to make backpacks and a bow with a bit leftover. The bright side is that I've found about 8 traders and got them marked on my map. Hoping this translocator I just fixed but I'm too afraid to use will take me somewhere good... And you're telling me that granite is SUPPOSED to generate the way it does? Why?!

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.