Mark Watton Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 I lost an absolutely MASSIVE harvest of charcoal because I figured having 2 leftover cause of a misclick wouldn't too big of a deal since my charcoal pit was named properly. I was wrong. Maybe don't let it say charcoal pit if it's not eligible?
LadyWYT Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 Welcome to the game and forums! 7 hours ago, Mark Watton said: I lost an absolutely MASSIVE harvest of charcoal because I figured having 2 leftover cause of a misclick wouldn't too big of a deal since my charcoal pit was named properly. This is unfortunate, however, the handbook is pretty clear about charcoal pits burning to ash instead of charcoal if there's anything less than a full stack of wood in any of the space.
Mark Watton Posted September 26 Author Report Posted September 26 1 hour ago, LadyWYT said: Welcome to the game and forums! This is unfortunate, however, the handbook is pretty clear about charcoal pits burning to ash instead of charcoal if there's anything less than a full stack of wood in any of the space. If the game can register that, then it should be able to register and not label it as a charcoal pit, and instead properly label is as a campfire.
LadyWYT Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 7 minutes ago, Mark Watton said: If the game can register that, then it should be able to register and not label it as a charcoal pit, and instead properly label is as a campfire. Except it's not a campfire--it's a charcoal pit. It's an intended game feature that the player can build the charcoal pit improperly and fail to make charcoal as a result. 1
Teh Pizza Lady Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 (edited) 10 hours ago, Mark Watton said: I lost an absolutely MASSIVE harvest of charcoal because I figured having 2 leftover cause of a misclick wouldn't too big of a deal since my charcoal pit was named properly. I was wrong. Maybe don't let it say charcoal pit if it's not eligible? Wood = fuel Gap = air Fuel + air = fire Wood + gap = ??? I do agree that the charcoal pits we have need work to be more realistic. Maybe I'll make a mod that does that. In the meantime, the game advertises itself as uncompromising, so taking a shortcut and thinking that the last 2 firewood wouldn't make a difference is exactly the kind of mistake it seeks punish. Yes, technically it was a charcoal pit. But it also wasn't full. Enjoy your smoky fire! Edited September 26 by Teh Pizza Lady
Mac Mcleod Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 In the real world, the loss would not be as bad. There would not be enough oxygen in that space of 2 missing pieces of firewood to ruin more than a few cubic meters of charcoal. FYI, if the fire wood is invisible, you can make it reappear without undoing it by clicking on it with a dirt block (any full block really.. dirt is just handy tho hay might be faster). It's invisible because the client server message foobared and desynced in some way. After making one 1.19.6 13x13x13 firepit (and refilling it once), these days I stick with 5x5x2 and 3x3x3. And I'm careful about checking every stack shows it has 32 logs. I don't trust the visuals.
Mark Watton Posted September 27 Author Report Posted September 27 8 hours ago, Teh Pizza Lady said: Wood = fuel Gap = air Fuel + air = fire Wood + gap = ??? I do agree that the charcoal pits we have need work to be more realistic. Maybe I'll make a mod that does that. In the meantime, the game advertises itself as uncompromising, so taking a shortcut and thinking that the last 2 firewood wouldn't make a difference is exactly the kind of mistake it seeks punish. Yes, technically it was a charcoal pit. But it also wasn't full. Enjoy your smoky fire! I didn't purposefully leave it out dingleberry. 1
Mark Watton Posted September 27 Author Report Posted September 27 6 hours ago, Mac Mcleod said: In the real world, the loss would not be as bad. There would not be enough oxygen in that space of 2 missing pieces of firewood to ruin more than a few cubic meters of charcoal. FYI, if the fire wood is invisible, you can make it reappear without undoing it by clicking on it with a dirt block (any full block really.. dirt is just handy tho hay might be faster). It's invisible because the client server message foobared and desynced in some way. After making one 1.19.6 13x13x13 firepit (and refilling it once), these days I stick with 5x5x2 and 3x3x3. And I'm careful about checking every stack shows it has 32 logs. I don't trust the visuals. Exactly my problem. I'd be fine if there was a penalty, even a rather steep one. But for ALL of it to disappear? Utter nonsense.
Teh Pizza Lady Posted September 27 Report Posted September 27 23 minutes ago, Mark Watton said: I didn't purposefully leave it out dingleberry. 21 minutes ago, Mark Watton said: Exactly my problem. I'd be fine if there was a penalty, even a rather steep one. But for ALL of it to disappear? Utter nonsense. I actually tested this in a single player world by removing 2 from every block of firewood and it still converted. I think you probably had a free air block somewhere and the whole thing burnt up. sorry, it sucks, but no need to call names. 1
Mark Watton Posted September 27 Author Report Posted September 27 (edited) 4 hours ago, Teh Pizza Lady said: I actually tested this in a single player world by removing 2 from every block of firewood and it still converted. I think you probably had a free air block somewhere and the whole thing burnt up. sorry, it sucks, but no need to call names. They were being a condescending turd acting like I was lazy and not sure of my contruction (and wrong, to boot!), and I sure didn't have any free air blocks. The only explanation then, would be that I traveled too far and the natural blocks despawned. (I'd complain about this as a bug, but it seems to be a performance saving issue that causes problems.) Edited September 27 by Mark Watton added a note 1
Rainbow Fresh Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 23 hours ago, Mark Watton said: The only explanation then, would be that I traveled too far and the natural blocks despawned. The what now? Blocks don't spawn or despawn. And the only known chunk unloading corruption is elks/mounts vanishing into the ether when the stars align just right.
Mark Watton Posted September 28 Author Report Posted September 28 (edited) 4 hours ago, Rainbow Fresh said: The what now? Blocks don't spawn or despawn. And the only known chunk unloading corruption is elks/mounts vanishing into the ether when the stars align just right. Then I haven't the slightest clue what happened. I dug a long 3x3 tunnel and filled it up with firewood by count. There weren't any breaks in the roof or walls. I read somewhere about placed blocks and natural blocks behaving differently if you travel a long distance. Edited September 28 by Mark Watton
LadyWYT Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 5 hours ago, Mark Watton said: I dug a long 3x3 tunnel and filled it up with firewood by count. There weren't any breaks in the roof or walls Do you happen to have a screenshot of the setup? Also how long was the tunnel? If it was longer than 11 blocks, that's likely the problem, since charcoal pits have a maximum size of 11x11x11.
Mark Watton Posted September 28 Author Report Posted September 28 The pit it still there, so I might get the gumption to provide one. As far as the other thing you said goes... I ran into the maximum size problem, but it didn't make my charcoal disappear. I dug a long 1x2 tunnel and stocked it with firewood. It cooked 11 layers into charcoal and then ignored the 5 or 6 stacks of firewood outside of the limit.
Mark Watton Posted September 28 Author Report Posted September 28 (edited) I filled that all up with firewood, hopped up the steps and sparked a campfire on one extruding layer of 32 stacked firewood, then covered up with dirt like i'd done many times before. This one time however, it all disappeared. I was still using flint tools at the time, so that was quite a bit. (I have absolutely given up on restarting after every death considering how absolutely nonsensical normal animal damage is, combined with the monotony of early game.] Edited September 28 by Mark Watton
Recommended Posts